Improving performance

Post by S├ębastien Oliv » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I have got three servers available:
* Pentium II 400 - 256 Mb - Raid 5
* Pentium III 550 - 256 Mb - Raid 5
* Pentium II 300 - 128 Mb

and I want to run the following applications:

* Exchange 5.5 Sp2
* SQL Server 7 (database under 200 Mb)
* IIS 4 will query SQL via ODBC & Exchange via CDO
* Real Server G2 for audio/video streaming (not use very often)

everything is running an Intranet site on IIS using ASP.

I could have up to 30 users at the same time accessing the web site and
about 300 users accounts.

What is the best allocations of the servers for the applications to optimize
the speed? (Which software on wich servers?)
Does Running Exchange 5.5 onto one server and IIS 4 onto another one
decrease the speed of CDO?

Many thanks for your help

Sbastien

Improving performance

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You (or somebody with exactly the same servers) asked this question.
I answered it.

--
Questions will not be answered via e-mail.

1. Items collection .SetColumns method fails to improve performance

Anybody have experience using this method to cache properties?  I have a
contact folder with 10,000 items and I want to download email1, 2 and 3
addresses from all of them.  It takes precisely the same amount of time (12
seconds) whether I fist call:

MAPIFolder.Items.SetColumns Email1Address,Email2Address,Email3Address"

as it does when I don't.  Also, conflicting to the documentation, I can
still access any property of each item after I make this call.  This makes
me very suspicious that the call has done diddly squat.

I'd really like to get some performance gains here somehow.  Outlook 2000
can list all contact email addresses in the folder in the blink of an eye.

I am using VB6 and an Outlook 2000 test COM add-in to test this.

rarely check this newsgroup.  (Do take out the NOSPAM part of the address
before emailing me, thanks - it's just typed there to confound evil
newsgroup bots)

Thanks,

Richard.

2. Duplicate Emails from Outlook98

3. improving performance??

4. Individual Mailbox Restore

5. Improving performance

6. OWA Confusion.....

7. IMC - Improving performance with multiple network card?

8. Mailbox Cleanup Agent

9. Improving Servers performance

10. Improving Exchange performance

11. How to improve Exch server Performance

12. Improve Public Folder access performance in searching

13. Improving Servers Performance