Exchange AddressEntry.ID not the same when querying from a 2K user and a 5.5 user

Post by David Taylo » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:02:36

Exchange AddressEntry.ID not the same when querying from a 2K user and a 5.5
user

We have built a system that uses exchange as the user profile data store...
The web interface connects to a Exchange 2K box which in turn has all the
exchange 5.5 servers in the organisation conected to it. We are able to
extract the EddrassEntry.ID for every user and I am wanting to use this as a
global unique identifier for the users, since you can also use this number
to query other properties for a user.

The Problem:
When a user logs on that has an account on the exchange 2K box, the id
retreved for users are not the same as(for the same user) when an exchange
5.5 user logs on. It seems that the two exchange servers are using different
address books. (Yet the entire organisation uses a single central global
address book, which is replicated to all the servers in the organisation.)

Is there any way that you could get the same id for any user when users from
any domain logs in? Is there another UID that can be used?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Exchange AddressEntry.ID not the same when querying from a 2K user and a 5.5 user

Post by Dmitry Streblechenk » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:51:23

You cannot and should not make any assumptions about the entry ids contents or
even lengths. You can however ask MAPI to compare 2 entry ids.
Why do you need to compare the ids?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Quote:> Exchange AddressEntry.ID not the same when querying from a 2K user and a 5.5
> user

> We have built a system that uses exchange as the user profile data store...
> The web interface connects to a Exchange 2K box which in turn has all the
> exchange 5.5 servers in the organisation conected to it. We are able to
> extract the EddrassEntry.ID for every user and I am wanting to use this as a
> global unique identifier for the users, since you can also use this number
> to query other properties for a user.

> The Problem:
> When a user logs on that has an account on the exchange 2K box, the id
> retreved for users are not the same as(for the same user) when an exchange
> 5.5 user logs on. It seems that the two exchange servers are using different
> address books. (Yet the entire organisation uses a single central global
> address book, which is replicated to all the servers in the organisation.)

> Is there any way that you could get the same id for any user when users from
> any domain logs in? Is there another UID that can be used?

> Any help would be greatly apreciated.

1. Exchange AddressEntry.ID not the same when querying from a 2K user and a 5.5 user

[...]

2. Still problem-please help

3. Exchange 2k & 5.5 query

4. Again TOO MANY HOPS

5. Sending Internet mail with internet mail user ID not exchange ID through Outlook 2000 - A solution

6. Exchange and shared addressbooks

7. Queries re using Outlook Express with Exchange 5.5

8. ALERT!! We recieved a List File Attachment in email message DO NOT OPEN!!!!

9. Convert From 5.5 to 2K does not recognize users already in AD

10. AddressEntry.ID to LDAP string

11. Query Exchange 5.5 User database?

12. automatically query calendar of serveral users with outlook 97 and Exchange 5.5

13. Exchange 5.5 Roaming User Setup Query