Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Iren » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello, please help,

I'm trying to tune up my Outlook Web Access (OWA) . Everything is seems to
be setted up like it was described in MS Support DB:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/exchange/content/whitepapers/owa...
.asp

After I type the aproppriate address for OWA (www.company.com/exchange/)
and enter upon inquiry my name and password, Internet Explorer gives me the
following message:
"You are not authorized to view this page"

I have FrontPage Extensions 2000 installed on my server. Before it was
installed everything worked just fine.

Any tips or advices, helpful links?

Thanks alot for any help!

--
Irina Sokolova
Webmaster and Administrator

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Can you successfully access www.company.com?
P.S. Do not cross-post.

> Hello, please help,

> I'm trying to tune up my Outlook Web Access (OWA) . Everything is seems to
> be setted up like it was described in MS Support DB:
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/exchange/content/whitepapers/owa...
> .asp

> After I type the aproppriate address for OWA (www.company.com/exchange/)
> and enter upon inquiry my name and password, Internet Explorer gives me the
> following message:
> "You are not authorized to view this page"

> I have FrontPage Extensions 2000 installed on my server. Before it was
> installed everything worked just fine.

> Any tips or advices, helpful links?

> Thanks alot for any help!

> --
> Irina Sokolova
> Webmaster and Administrator
> _________________
> Golem Integrated Microelectronics Solutions GmbH

group).

Kirill

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Iren » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Kirill,
I mentioned this address just in example. My website, where OWA does not
work is
http://www.golem.at/exchange.

The problem is still not solved, please help anybody...

:-(

--
Irina Sokolova
_________________

> Can you successfully access www.company.com?
> P.S. Do not cross-post.

> > Hello, please help,

> > I'm trying to tune up my Outlook Web Access (OWA) . Everything is seems to
> > be setted up like it was described in MS Support DB:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/exchange/content/whitepapers/owa...
> > .asp

> > After I type the aproppriate address for OWA (www.company.com/exchange/)
> > and enter upon inquiry my name and password, Internet Explorer gives me the
> > following message:
> > "You are not authorized to view this page"

> > I have FrontPage Extensions 2000 installed on my server. Before it was
> > installed everything worked just fine.

> > Any tips or advices, helpful links?

> > Thanks alot for any help!

> > --
> > Irina Sokolova
> > Webmaster and Administrator
> > _________________
> > Golem Integrated Microelectronics Solutions GmbH

> --
> If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so (in
> group).

> Kirill

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Hello, please help,

>I'm trying to tune up my Outlook Web Access (OWA) . Everything is seems to
>be setted up like it was described in MS Support DB:
>http://support.microsoft.com/support/exchange/content/whitepapers/owa...
>.asp

>After I type the aproppriate address for OWA (www.company.com/exchange/)
>and enter upon inquiry my name and password, Internet Explorer gives me the
>following message:
>"You are not authorized to view this page"

>I have FrontPage Extensions 2000 installed on my server. Before it was
>installed everything worked just fine.

Did installing the extensions alter the ACL on the webdata directory?

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Iren » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> Did installing the extensions alter the ACL on the webdata directory?

How can I prove it?
Quote:

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>> Did installing the extensions alter the ACL on the webdata directory?

>How can I prove it?

What were they before? What are they now?

If you did nothing, the previous ACL was probably Everyone:FC.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Iren » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> >> Did installing the extensions alter the ACL on the webdata directory?

> >How can I prove it?

> What were they before? What are they now?

> If you did nothing, the previous ACL was probably Everyone:FC.

Well, there were some groups with Full Control and Everyone group with
Change permission. I changed now the permissions on this exchsrvr/webdata/
directory (incl. subdirectories) to Full Control and tried to access my OWA
http://www.myserver/exchange/ but still got the same error message:
 You are not authorized to view this page.

....what now ??? ;-/

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

See if you can configure IIS to log ALL logon failures to IIS logs.
BTW, enable NTFS auditing on WEBDATA directory. Audit all access failures. This
will log failure and reason to Security Event log.

> > >How can I prove it?

> > What were they before? What are they now?

> > If you did nothing, the previous ACL was probably Everyone:FC.

> Well, there were some groups with Full Control and Everyone group with
> Change permission. I changed now the permissions on this exchsrvr/webdata/
> directory (incl. subdirectories) to Full Control and tried to access my OWA
> http://www.myserver/exchange/ but still got the same error message:
>  You are not authorized to view this page.

> ....what now ??? ;-/

Outlook Web Access problem

>> >How can I prove it?

>> What were they before? What are they now?

>> If you did nothing, the previous ACL was probably Everyone:FC.

>Well, there were some groups with Full Control and Everyone group with
>Change permission. I changed now the permissions on this exchsrvr/webdata/
>directory (incl. subdirectories) to Full Control

That wasn't necessary. Change is okay (it's actually more than what's
needed).

Quote:>and tried to access my OWA
>http://www.myserver/exchange/ but still got the same error message:
> You are not authorized to view this page.

>....what now ??? ;-/

This error has little to do with Exchange. It's an IIS problem and
you'll probably get a better answer in that newsgroup.

However, check the property of the web site and verify that there's a
default document in the "Documents" tab of the Exchange virtual
directory and that the "Enable default document" box is checked. You
also need "Execute" permission on the Exchange virtual directory tab.

Just out of curiosity, can you access http://www.myserver without
error?

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> <snip>

> Just out of curiosity, can you access http://www.myserver without
> error?

 I can at
www.golem.at
Quote:

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Iren » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> This error has little to do with Exchange. It's an IIS problem and
> you'll probably get a better answer in that newsgroup.

Ok, thanks Rich, I will try..

Quote:

> However, check the property of the web site and verify that there's a
> default document in the "Documents" tab of the Exchange virtual
> directory and that the "Enable default document" box is checked. You
> also need "Execute" permission on the Exchange virtual directory tab.

Everything is fine in there, default document is enabled and execute
permission is also setted up.
Btw, do I need to restart something after changing these options?

Quote:> Just out of curiosity, can you access http://www.myserver without
> error?

sure I can :)
Quote:

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Iren » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> See if you can configure IIS to log ALL logon failures to IIS logs.
> BTW, enable NTFS auditing on WEBDATA directory. Audit all access failures.
This
> will log failure and reason to Security Event log.

Kirill,
what is NTFS? which group for audit should I add?

Anyway, I added Exchange Users, Domain Users and Domain Admins, and got no
error message in my Security event log after trying access
www.myserver/exchange/..
There were only "successful logon" messages

something is very wrong.. ;-/

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > See if you can configure IIS to log ALL logon failures to IIS logs.
> > BTW, enable NTFS auditing on WEBDATA directory. Audit all access failures.
> This
> > will log failure and reason to Security Event log.

> Kirill,
> what is NTFS?

New Technology File System.

Quote:> which group for audit should I add?

Everyone.

Quote:

> Anyway, I added Exchange Users, Domain Users and Domain Admins, and got no
> error message in my Security event log after trying access

You have to audit access Failure on directory and files.

Quote:

> www.myserver/exchange/..
> There were only "successful logon" messages

> something is very wrong.. ;-/

Do you know/remember _anything_ strange/unusual happenning with that IIS server?

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>Everything is fine in there, default document is enabled and execute
>permission is also setted up.
>Btw, do I need to restart something after changing these options?

No.

Quote:

>> Just out of curiosity, can you access http://www.myserver without
>> error?

>sure I can :)

So can I. But when I try adding "exchange" to the end of www.golem.at
I get an immediate prompt for credentials. This tells me that
anonymous connections are not accepted (as long as you don't mind
being prompted before the logon page is displayed this isn't serious).
This isn't the "usual" configuration, however.  Start by allowing
anonymous access on the Exchange virtual directory. While you're
there, DISable the "Windows NT Challenge Response" and leave only
anonymous and basic authentication checked.

What you SHOULD see is the logon page without having to authenticate.
If you get an authentication dialog BEFORE the logon page appears then
it's usually a file system permission that's causing the problem.

For any authentication prompts use NTDomain\UserName in the user edit
box.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Outlook Web Access problem

Post by Iren » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> So can I. But when I try adding "exchange" to the end of www.golem.at
> I get an immediate prompt for credentials. This tells me that
> anonymous connections are not accepted (as long as you don't mind
> being prompted before the logon page is displayed this isn't serious).
> This isn't the "usual" configuration, however.  Start by allowing
> anonymous access on the Exchange virtual directory. While you're
> there, DISable the "Windows NT Challenge Response" and leave only
> anonymous and basic authentication checked.

> What you SHOULD see is the logon page without having to authenticate.
> If you get an authentication dialog BEFORE the logon page appears then
> it's usually a file system permission that's causing the problem.

What I get after allowing anonymous and basic authentication is the same
error message but now whithout prompt for credentials.
Does that means that is the file system permission problem?
Quote:> For any authentication prompts use NTDomain\UserName in the user edit
> box.

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Outlook Web Access problems-Access Forbidden

I keep getting Access Forbidden everytime a try to use Web access to get
mail . When I enter http://Myserver/exchange  i get the HTTP/1.1 403 Access
Forbidden.
I went to the HTTP Site Settings in the Exchange Administrator, checked
enable protocol and on the permissions page it has everyone entered. What
could be the problem? Please help.

Greg Prostko

2. Interorg tool issues

3. Outlook Web Access Problem

4. Pub.edb - size is 300 MB but only 2 MB of data in it?

5. Outlook Web Access problem

6. Journaling Read Receipts using MAPI clients

7. Outlook Web Access Problem

8. OWA consult...

9. Outlook Web Access problem- Exchange 5.5

10. Outlook Web Access Problems

11. Outlook Web Access - Problem

12. Outlook Web Access problem