Front end / Backend servers

Post by Ole Morten K?rb » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 21:25:49

Scenario: 1 front-end server take requests from internet clients, and
contacts the back-end server via a firewall.
Only front end server get past the FW.

Can internal clients contact the backend server or do they also contact the
front-end server?.

Ole M.

Front end / Backend servers

Post by Ande » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 22:44:49

Quote:> Can internal clients contact the backend server or do they also contact the
> front-end server?.

> Ole M.

I would think so.
According to the MS Exchange deployent guide (chapter 8),
installing the two-tier architecture involves installation of the
front-end
server, in addition to whatever Exchange-server you already have.

There is no mention of modifications to the back-end server, so at
least
technically this should be OK.
Whether there might be policy issues in your organisation that
influences this,
that's a different question.

Also, this gives you the opportunity to provide a limited set of
services to certain clients (for instance internet connected clients)
while still providing all services to internal clients, on the
back-end server.
This would not be possible if the FE/BE-server architecture limited
the BE-server.

Cheers,
Anders :)

Front end / Backend servers

Post by Mark Fugat » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:33:30

MAPI clients cannot use the backend server.

--
Mark Fugatt

Quote:> Scenario: 1 front-end server take requests from internet clients, and
> contacts the back-end server via a firewall.
> Only front end server get past the FW.

> Can internal clients contact the backend server or do they also contact
the
> front-end server?.

> Ole M.

Front end / Backend servers

Post by Kaido Kibi » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 02:39:36

no, that's not true. MAPI clients can only contact back-end server (if your
mailboxes are on back-end)because MAPI clients are contacting exchange
database directly.

kaido

Quote:> MAPI clients cannot use the backend server.

Front end / Backend servers

Post by Mark Fugat » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:27:47

My mistake, typed Backend instead of Frontend, been a long day :-)

--
Mark Fugatt

> MAPI clients cannot use the backend server.

> --
> Mark Fugatt

> > Scenario: 1 front-end server take requests from internet clients, and
> > contacts the back-end server via a firewall.
> > Only front end server get past the FW.

> > Can internal clients contact the backend server or do they also contact
> the
> > front-end server?.

> > Ole M.

1. OWA Front End BAckend Server specs for 500Users

Depends what you want the FE to do. If all you want to do is OWA then
you don't need that much storage.
I'd be a little concerned about front ending 300 users on one box
unless the concurrency were quite low. If you're going to have 300
concurrent then you might like to look at another FE box and use NLB
to keep the users life simple. Another of what you've got would be
ideal if it were me in the driving seat.
I don't like the back end disk config since you only get 3 drives in a
raid 5 you're wasting 72GB of storage and exposing your drive loss too
much. Is it too late to get a box that has two 18GB in a mirror and
then at least 4 36GB drives for the RAID5.
Mark Arnold MCSE MVP

Before U post...
http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm

2. Exchange & Outlook Web Access

3. Front End (FE/BE) Backend Server SMTP Relay For IMAP Clients

4. Can I use two domains?

5. 2 backend server and 1 front end

6. Exchange Administrator Hanging

7. Front end and Backend Server

8. Exchange 5.5 leaves messages on server

9. Front End (FE/BE) Backend Server SMTP Relay For IMAP Clients

10. BETA: E2K3 Front end with E2K Backend Server

11. Front End (FE/BE) Backend Server SMTP Relay For IMAP Clients

12. No Front-End Server Checkbox for Font/Backend Configuration

13. Ex SP3 upgrade, backend/front end upg order query