Getting Started - need advice

Post by Kathleen Char » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 00:29:21

I am getting ready to move our mail service from an
outside hosting company to our internal Exchange 2000
server and was wondering if anyone could clue me in on
anything I may have forgotten before I ask our ISP to
point the MX record to the Exchange server.  We are a
small office with 10 users, 1 file/print server and 1
mail/web server.

Exchange is up and running on a Windows 2000 server and
all user accounts have been mail enabled.  There are
messages that appear in the event log stating that there
is 0 megabytes of free space in the Public Folder store
after online defragmentation has finished. What does that
mean? I have not been able to find an explanation for this
whatsoever, which makes me reluctant to proceed.

Is there anything else I need to do prior to making the
change?  I've searched for information and have found
nothing that is straight forward enough. Can someone point
me to any resources that apply to small companies and not
10,000+ users?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Getting Started - need advice

Post by Clau » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 07:28:19

The Microsoft Exchante 2000 Server Implementation and Administration
Training Kit is quite good and goes beyond the study for the 70-224 Exam. It
has a lot of good additional resources on the CD that comes with it.

I trust that all users have mailboxes created (this only happens when you
actually install Outlook on their boxes and map them to their respective
mailboxes). As to the public store, create a folder there and I guess that
msg will go away. The M drive is actually part of your C: drive and if you
are short of free space it is a good idea to move your first storage group
(with 10 users I trust that's all you have) onto a different drive with more
space. The other option would be to have Outlook pull the msgs into a
personal folder. The draw back there would be, that the users can't look at
their msgs via OWA, because they aren't on the server anymore.

Other than that, it looks fine for you to go. I trust you have setup the
SMTP addresses and configured Exchange to deliver mail via DNS. You can
actually test the delivery before your ISP creates the MX record - although
the reply wouldn't work yet.

Good luck
Claus

Quote:> I am getting ready to move our mail service from an
> outside hosting company to our internal Exchange 2000
> server and was wondering if anyone could clue me in on
> anything I may have forgotten before I ask our ISP to
> point the MX record to the Exchange server.  We are a
> small office with 10 users, 1 file/print server and 1
> mail/web server.

> Exchange is up and running on a Windows 2000 server and
> all user accounts have been mail enabled.  There are
> messages that appear in the event log stating that there
> is 0 megabytes of free space in the Public Folder store
> after online defragmentation has finished. What does that
> mean? I have not been able to find an explanation for this
> whatsoever, which makes me reluctant to proceed.

> Is there anything else I need to do prior to making the
> change?  I've searched for information and have found
> nothing that is straight forward enough. Can someone point
> me to any resources that apply to small companies and not
> 10,000+ users?

> Thanks in advance for any insight.

Getting Started - need advice

Post by Kathleen Char » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 00:28:25

Thank you SO much for your advice.  However, I wondering
if you or maybe someone else had a minute to clarify a few
things...

How are mailboxes mapped?  All my users are running
Outlook 2000, but with the Internet Only configuration for
right now. I reconfigured my own mail support for Exchange
and all it did was restart Outlook with a few new
features. I was never prompted to specifically map to my
mailbox. ????

The only SMTP addresses I created were for Contacts that
will have a forwarding address.  Other than that, all I
did was mail enable existing users and confirmed that
there was an SMTP address listed in their properties. Is
this what you meant by setting up the SMTP addresses?

Configure Exchange to deliver mail via DNS?? (I am
probably making this way too complicated)

How can this be tested prior to changing the MX record?
Are there instructions anywhere on how to specifically do
this?

I plan to purchase the Training Kit you mentioned, but if
anyone happens to know these answers offhand, I'd be
eternally grateful.

Thanks

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>The Microsoft Exchante 2000 Server Implementation and
Administration
>Training Kit is quite good and goes beyond the study for
the 70-224 Exam. It
>has a lot of good additional resources on the CD that
comes with it.

>I trust that all users have mailboxes created (this only
happens when you
>actually install Outlook on their boxes and map them to
their respective
>mailboxes). As to the public store, create a folder there
and I guess that
>msg will go away. The M drive is actually part of your C:
drive and if you
>are short of free space it is a good idea to move your
first storage group
>(with 10 users I trust that's all you have) onto a

different drive with more

>space. The other option would be to have Outlook pull the
msgs into a
>personal folder. The draw back there would be, that the
users can't look at
>their msgs via OWA, because they aren't on the server
anymore.

>Other than that, it looks fine for you to go. I trust you
have setup the
>SMTP addresses and configured Exchange to deliver mail
via DNS. You can
>actually test the delivery before your ISP creates the MX
record - although
>the reply wouldn't work yet.

>Good luck
>Claus

message

>> I am getting ready to move our mail service from an
>> outside hosting company to our internal Exchange 2000
>> server and was wondering if anyone could clue me in on
>> anything I may have forgotten before I ask our ISP to
>> point the MX record to the Exchange server.  We are a
>> small office with 10 users, 1 file/print server and 1
>> mail/web server.

>> Exchange is up and running on a Windows 2000 server and
>> all user accounts have been mail enabled.  There are
>> messages that appear in the event log stating that there
>> is 0 megabytes of free space in the Public Folder store
>> after online defragmentation has finished. What does
that
>> mean? I have not been able to find an explanation for
this
>> whatsoever, which makes me reluctant to proceed.

>> Is there anything else I need to do prior to making the
>> change?  I've searched for information and have found
>> nothing that is straight forward enough. Can someone
point
>> me to any resources that apply to small companies and
not
>> 10,000+ users?

>> Thanks in advance for any insight.

>.

1. Need advice for getting started on programming Exchange 2k / Outlook 2k

Hallo newsgroup,

as a systemadministrator for w2k/e2k I got the task to build a workflow for
our support team.
I've basic knowledge in VBScript and VBA, but I'm trying hard to get really
used to it. So i'm looking for a suitable book that teaches me how to
program Outlook 2000 and Exchange 2000 EventSink. It would be great if the
book also explains its code samples so that I've the chance to understand or
maybe modify it in a way I can use it. If the book is written in non too
complex english, it would be perfect - you probably already realized that
I'm not an English native.

Thanx

Dennis Dannecker

2. Can it be done?

3. Need help getting started on Exchange application

4. directory replication

5. Need Hardware advice for a new Exchange 2000 server need Recommendation

6. can't send mail - please help

7. Getting Certified? Need Help Getting Started? Check out Jason's Certification Page

8. Move ExchangeServer_(computername)

9. Need advice/recommendation on implementing a collaboration feature

10. I need an advice about books I could buy

11. Advice needed: anti-virus on Exchange 5.x

12. need advice from the expert!