Exchange SDK and Getting started

Post by Drew Burchet » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello.  I apologize in advance if I am asking a question that has been worn
out, but this is my first day in this newsgroup, and I feel that I have
thoroughly exhausted all other resources.  The question is simply, where is
the Exchange SDK?  I have looked all over Microsoft's site and can't find
anything but mention of the fact that it exists.  Is it something I have to
buy?

Also, does anyone know of any good resources for getting started with
programming Exchange (mostly client, but I'd also like to know server.  I
already understand most of what is in the MAPI SDK, but the one thing that
is missing is how to get started!  I can't find any examples of what to do
first.

Thanks for your time

Drew

Post by Rich Matheis » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Hello.  I apologize in advance if I am asking a question that has been worn
>out, but this is my first day in this newsgroup, and I feel that I have
>thoroughly exhausted all other resources.  The question is simply, where is
>the Exchange SDK?  I have looked all over Microsoft's site and can't find
>anything but mention of the fact that it exists.  Is it something I have to
>buy?

No need to buy anything. Try this URL:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/developer/default.htm

Quote:>Also, does anyone know of any good resources for getting started with
>programming Exchange (mostly client, but I'd also like to know server.  I
>already understand most of what is in the MAPI SDK, but the one thing that
>is missing is how to get started!  I can't find any examples of what to do
>first.

For client side stuff, try "Developing Applications for Microsoft
Exchange with C++" and "Building Applications with Microsoft Outlook
98". There's also one, or two, of the "Mastering" series for Exchange.
And, Thomas Rizzo's just written a book (dunno how good, I haven't
received my copy yet) "Programming Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft
Exchange Server".

Also:

http://www.cdolive.com
http://www.15seconds.com

Richard Matheisen                             Wang Global
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

Exchange SDK and Getting started

Post by Drew Burchet » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Thank you for your links.  They are definatly to helpful sites.  However, I
guess part of my frustration is that I don't even know enough to ask the
right questions.

First off, to clarify, Is the Exchange SDK part of the Platform SDK (the
first download you have to make).  Specifically, I am looking for the file
edk.h.  This file is listed as an include in EVERY example in the MAPI SDK,
but I can't find it anywhere on my hard drive (I'm using VC++ 5.0 SP3 on Win
95/98).  Without this file, I'm kind of lost.

Second, instead of information about how to program Exchange Client or
Outlook,  I am looking more for information on working with MAPI in C++.  My
main goal is to create an ISAPI extension (I've got that part down) that can
access information in an Exchange Server Public Folder Store.  I have a
vauge idea that you have to log on with a MAPI Session object, but I can't
even figure out how to do that.

Thanks once again for your help

Drew

Post by Rich Matheis » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Thank you for your links.  They are definatly to helpful sites.  However, I
>guess part of my frustration is that I don't even know enough to ask the
>right questions.

>First off, to clarify, Is the Exchange SDK part of the Platform SDK (the
>first download you have to make).

No. It's a separate file. I think it's name is iMSG.exe and it's only
a couple of MB in size. It may be described as the "database and
messaging SDK".

Quote:>Specifically, I am looking for the file edk.h.

It's in the iMSG file.

Quote:>This file is listed as an include in EVERY example in the MAPI SDK,
>but I can't find it anywhere on my hard drive (I'm using VC++ 5.0 SP3 on Win
>95/98).  Without this file, I'm kind of lost.
>Second, instead of information about how to program Exchange Client or
>Outlook,  I am looking more for information on working with MAPI in C++.

"Inside MAPI" by Irving De la Cruz, ISBN 1-57231-312-9.

Quote:>My
>main goal is to create an ISAPI extension (I've got that part down) that can
>access information in an Exchange Server Public Folder Store.  I have a
>vauge idea that you have to log on with a MAPI Session object, but I can't
>even figure out how to do that.

Take a look at ADO and CDO. They might be easier to work with.

Richard Matheisen                             Wang Global
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

1. Version of Platform SDK with Exchange SDK???

Hi,
Which version of Microsoft Platform SDK should be
installed for Exchange SDK 2000 to work properly?
When I installed MS Platform SDK August 2001. I had
Exchange Event Regsitration problem. When I installed
Visual Studio 6.0 with SP5. Then it worked fine.

Please let me know. It is urgent.
Thanks in advance.
Pankaj

2. Upgrade NT 4.0 PDC to Windows 2000 DC

3. message archival again

4. 5.5 SDK and 2K SDK

5. One Computer, Two email domains?

6. Integrate SDK with Platform SDK & Visual Studio

7. Bad Exchange Directory Replication / IMS problem

8. Need advice for getting started on programming Exchange 2k / Outlook 2k

9. Getting started with Exchange Event Scripting

10. Getting started with Forms in Exchange

11. getting started understanding exchange and active directory

12. Exchange Server Application - Getting Started