I am having a problem receiving email from one company using MS Exchange.
Since I am not the admin, I can't look at the server myself, but was
wondering if anyone has heard/had this problem and if there was a fix I
could forward to their admin.
I used to have 2 email addresses (work and personal). I was able to send
and receive mail from the above company with no problems on either service.
However, they only had my personal email address in their address list.
Once I gave them my work address and they put it into their list, they could
only send email to my work address. Even if they replied to a message from
my personal address, it would send it to the work one.
Well, I have since left that job for greener pastures and now cannot receive
mail from them. My contact has talked to their admin and he reports
everything as looking okay. I have setup an account on Hotmail just to get
around this, but it is combersome and I don't always remember to check it.