Solution to Slow Outlook with Exchange Server 5.5 SP1

Solution to Slow Outlook with Exchange Server 5.5 SP1

Post by Anthony Nguye » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I think I have made a discovery.  After upgrade to 5.5 SP1 and a few client
computers with NT 4.0 SP4 peple have noticed a slow boot up of Outlook.  The
problems seem to be with 95, 98 and NT 4.0 SP3 users.  I tried everything
and everyone kept saying check the binding order..  or Name resolution
system, since it does take more than 20sec to ping a name.  Everthing seem
to check out.  So I tried upgrading the people with NT 4.0 SP3 to SP4 and
that improved boot up from 5-10minutes to less than 1minute.  But now it
seems that the Win 95 and 98 computers are still slow.  There is a patch for
these systems.  I thought upgrading all the NT users to SP4 would lower the
net traffic and maybe help the 95 and 98 users.  But so far no luck.  I have
2 more NT computers to upgrade and maybe that will do it.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

Anthony

[...]

Post by DZ » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Just to try something out.... on an NT box with SP3 make an entry in the
hosts file for the exchange server. Launch Exchange and start the timer. See
if this helps.

-Tom

>I think I have made a discovery.  After upgrade to 5.5 SP1 and a few client
>computers with NT 4.0 SP4 peple have noticed a slow boot up of Outlook.
The
>problems seem to be with 95, 98 and NT 4.0 SP3 users.  I tried everything
>and everyone kept saying check the binding order..  or Name resolution
>system, since it does take more than 20sec to ping a name.  Everthing seem
>to check out.  So I tried upgrading the people with NT 4.0 SP3 to SP4 and
>that improved boot up from 5-10minutes to less than 1minute.  But now it
>seems that the Win 95 and 98 computers are still slow.  There is a patch
for
>these systems.  I thought upgrading all the NT users to SP4 would lower the
>net traffic and maybe help the 95 and 98 users.  But so far no luck.  I
have
>2 more NT computers to upgrade and maybe that will do it.

>Anyone else have any ideas?

>Thanks

>Anthony

Solution to Slow Outlook with Exchange Server 5.5 SP1

Post by Mike and Diane O'Neil » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

We went all static addressing with TCP/IP and that saved significant time. DHCP
seemed to slow things down.

There are other hints out there, but that's mine.

> I think I have made a discovery.  After upgrade to 5.5 SP1 and a few client
> computers with NT 4.0 SP4 peple have noticed a slow boot up of Outlook.  The
> problems seem to be with 95, 98 and NT 4.0 SP3 users.  I tried everything
> and everyone kept saying check the binding order..  or Name resolution
> system, since it does take more than 20sec to ping a name.  Everthing seem
> to check out.  So I tried upgrading the people with NT 4.0 SP3 to SP4 and
> that improved boot up from 5-10minutes to less than 1minute.  But now it
> seems that the Win 95 and 98 computers are still slow.  There is a patch for
> these systems.  I thought upgrading all the NT users to SP4 would lower the
> net traffic and maybe help the 95 and 98 users.  But so far no luck.  I have
> 2 more NT computers to upgrade and maybe that will do it.

> Anyone else have any ideas?

> Thanks

> Anthony

Solution to Slow Outlook with Exchange Server 5.5 SP1

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>We went all static addressing with TCP/IP and that saved significant time. DHCP
>seemed to slow things down.

DHCP doesn't slow down anything. It's used to assign addresses
(routers, WINS servers, DNS servers, etc.), client "node types",
domain names, etc.

If using DHCP slows things down it's because you've not got the
parameters right or your DNS isn't refering to WINS for the addressses
assigned by DHCP to the various machines (NT DNS uses a static
database, but can ask WINS to resolve names). If name resolution isn't
working properly you'll have many problems on a Windows network. Some
of them are of the "Gee, browsing doesn't work today" variety and some
are of the "#%$%&^ WINS is broken . . . again" sort (not that WINS
doesn't already have it's own share of problems).

Solution to Slow Outlook with Exchange Server 5.5 SP1

Post by Anthony Nguye » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

You right!    I editeded the host file with the IP address of our Exchange
Server and it work awesome!!!  Would setting up a DNS Server be better?

Anthony

>Just to try something out.... on an NT box with SP3 make an entry in the
>hosts file for the exchange server. Launch Exchange and start the timer.
See
>if this helps.

>-Tom

>>I think I have made a discovery.  After upgrade to 5.5 SP1 and a few
client
>>computers with NT 4.0 SP4 peple have noticed a slow boot up of Outlook.
>The
>>problems seem to be with 95, 98 and NT 4.0 SP3 users.  I tried everything
>>and everyone kept saying check the binding order..  or Name resolution
>>system, since it does take more than 20sec to ping a name.  Everthing seem
>>to check out.  So I tried upgrading the people with NT 4.0 SP3 to SP4 and
>>that improved boot up from 5-10minutes to less than 1minute.  But now it
>>seems that the Win 95 and 98 computers are still slow.  There is a patch
>for
>>these systems.  I thought upgrading all the NT users to SP4 would lower
the
>>net traffic and maybe help the 95 and 98 users.  But so far no luck.  I
>have
>>2 more NT computers to upgrade and maybe that will do it.

>>Anyone else have any ideas?

>>Thanks

>>Anthony

Solution to Slow Outlook with Exchange Server 5.5 SP1

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>You right!    I editeded the host file with the IP address of our Exchange
>Server and it work awesome!!!  Would setting up a DNS Server be better?

It won't work "better" but it will centralize the control of name
resolution. A HOSTS file is okay for a small number of machines but if
you aff machines (or change addresses) you have to visit each machine
and replace, or update, the file to reflect the changes.

A HOSTS file can't supply other types of DNS records, either. MX
records may not be necessary, but using RP and TXT records can help
you locate machines and people responsible for them. And if you use
DHCP to assign IP addresses without reservations, a HOSTS file is
worthless.

Post by Pat Bryan » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>We went all static addressing with TCP/IP and that saved significant time.
DHCP
>seemed to slow things down.

We found the same thing - and as we had to visit each machine we copied
across an edited host file.

Pat Bryant

>There are other hints out there, but that's mine.

>> I think I have made a discovery.  After upgrade to 5.5 SP1 and a few
client
>> computers with NT 4.0 SP4 peple have noticed a slow boot up of Outlook.
The
>> problems seem to be with 95, 98 and NT 4.0 SP3 users.  I tried everything
>> and everyone kept saying check the binding order..  or Name resolution
>> system, since it does take more than 20sec to ping a name.  Everthing
seem
>> to check out.  So I tried upgrading the people with NT 4.0 SP3 to SP4 and
>> that improved boot up from 5-10minutes to less than 1minute.  But now it
>> seems that the Win 95 and 98 computers are still slow.  There is a patch
for
>> these systems.  I thought upgrading all the NT users to SP4 would lower
the
>> net traffic and maybe help the 95 and 98 users.  But so far no luck.  I
have
>> 2 more NT computers to upgrade and maybe that will do it.

>> Anyone else have any ideas?

>> Thanks

>> Anthony

Solution to Slow Outlook with Exchange Server 5.5 SP1

Post by Q » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Try pushing the host file through a login script and you will only have to
update one host file.  Also a good way to block people from going to sites
your orginization deams a nono.

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Try pushing the host file through a login script and you will only have to
>update one host file.  Also a good way to block people from going to sites
>your orginization deams a nono.

And if TCP/IP is your only network transport protocol and you changed
the address of the domain controller(s) . . . ? Or if you use DHCP to
assign addresses?

Your suggestion has some merit, but it's not going to work in all
cases. And, when Win2000 is used it won't work too well, either. A
HOSTS file simply cannot provide the necessary information about the
location of the necessary services. That will require a DNS capable of
returning SRV records.

1. Solution to Slow Outlook with Exchange Server 5.5 SP1

[...]

2. Big problem

3. W2K SBS exchange 2000

4. Routing Groups

5. Listserv for Intranet...tool(s) for Exchange?

6. Why is Exchange 5.5 SP1 so slow now?

7. Unable to connect to Outlook Web Mail w/ Exchange Server 5.5 SP1

8. Want to access Exchange 5.5 SP1 server using Outlook Express via POP3/IMAP4