global catalog on exchange server

Post by yoss » Mon, 19 May 2003 17:49:31

hi all,
i know that its not recomended to mark the exchange server
as global catalog can you help me to find the article
about it ?
thanks

global catalog on exchange server

Post by Melissa Travers [MSFT » Tue, 20 May 2003 01:13:33

Hi Yossi,

It is not supported to have Exchange 5.5 installed on a Global Catalog.  Per

Q295419 XADM: How to Move the Global Catalog Role to Another Domain
Controller
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q295419

However, E2k is supported on a GC.  It would not be recommended,
particularly in a larger environment where a DC/GC was handling a large
number of logon requests to free up resources for Exchange so your Exchange
server functions more optimally.

I cannot find an article that states this though.  It may be in one of the
whitepapers.  If I can find it I will post back.

--
Melissa Travers, MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

Quote:> hi all,
> i know that its not recomended to mark the exchange server
> as global catalog can you help me to find the article
> about it ?
> thanks

global catalog on exchange server

Post by Joel » Wed, 21 May 2003 00:32:49

Hi.
I don't know what kind of article you're looking for, but
it is mentioned in the Resource Kit documentation (Part 2,
Chapter 4 - Active Directory Design, Under the
section "Exchange 2000 and Global Catalog Server". It's
highlighted as "Important").
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/excha
nge2000/reskit/part2/c04names.asp?
"Important Exchange 2000 servers should be installed as
member servers of the domain and not as domain controllers
or global catalog servers, mainly for performance reasons."
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>hi all,
>i know that its not recomended to mark the exchange server
>as global catalog can you help me to find the article
>about it ?
>thanks
>.

1. Importance of Global Catalog for Exchange 2000 Server?

I have a single domain configuration where there are 2
Windows 2000 Servers.  ServerA is an Active Directory
Domain Controller and holds all FSMO roles as well as the
Global Catalog.  ServerB is also a DC, which is running
Exchange2000.

If ServerA goes offline, will ServerB (exchange server) be
able to function in the absence of a Global Catalog
Server?  If the answer is no...then is there any downside
to also making ServerB a Global Catalog Server?

The goal is to make sure the Exchange server can function
independently (being the only server running).

2. A lot of FAQs but not a lot of ideas

3. Exchange & Global Catalog Server

4. REDIRECTING DATABASE

5. Exchange 2000 and Global Catalog servers...

6. Installation

7. Global Catalog Server and Exchange 2000 lost connection

8. edbutil.exe

9. Global Catalog Server

10. Best Practices for multiple global catalog servers in multiples sites

11. Where to put Global Catalog Servers ???

12. Multiple Global Catalog Servers

13. GLobal Catalog Server.