Exchange 5.5/Exchange 2000 Primary NT Account change

Exchange 5.5/Exchange 2000 Primary NT Account change

Post by Richar » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 01:31:08

One site in our organisation contains a mixture of Exchange 5.5/Exchange
2000 servers and was created from scratch in the following sequence:

        An Exchange 5.5 server was used to create a new site within the
organisation and act as the bridgehead server onto the other sites.

        The server acts as the target for an ADC used to populate a
Windows 2000 AD with disabled user accounts.

        The site was populated by using the 'move server wizard' to shift
two Exchange 5.5 servers into the new site from other existing sites in the
organisation.

        Exchange 2000 servers where then added to the new site and the
'move mailbox wizard' used to transferred mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to
Exchange 2000.

        Finally the Exchange 5.5 servers which used to contain the
mailboxes where removed from the site.

        After a bit of fiddling about everything worked fine.  I know it
would have been much simpler to put Exchange 2000 servers into the existing
sites - but that's politics for you!!

However, we now have two problems - one in Exchange 5.5 and one in Exchange
2000.

Exchange 5.5

Since the site was created the Primary Windows NT Account for a large group
of users (about 5500) has been changed and each user has ended up with the
old Primary Account appearing in the 'Permissions/Windows NT Accounts with
Permissions' dialogue box with a 'custom' Mailbox owner role.  We need to
get rid of these but can't get at them using directory import or export as
they don't appear under either the Obj-Admins, Obj-Perm-Admins or Obj-Users
pseudo-attribute fields.  Any ideas on how we can delete these entries in
bulk?

Exchange 2000

The change of Primary Windows NT Account is not being replicated through to
the AD Exchange Advanced/Mailbox Rights entry and the original NT account is
still attributed with the all important 'Associated External Account'
permission.  Even if we manually delete the original account in Exchange 5.5
the AD settings do not change.  It's impractical to change the Rights
manually as it takes 2-3 minutes to resolve the various account names before
they can be edited!  Any ideas on how to force the changes into AD?

Help with either/both problems would be much appreciated.

Exchange 5.5/Exchange 2000 Primary NT Account change

Post by Shawn Tyl » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:37:39

Richard,

I would try to run the Consistency Adjuster in Exchange 5.5.  That
should sync things back up within that server.  If you highlight the
server (through Exchange Administrator) then go to the properties.  In
the Advanced tab there is a button "Adjust Consistency".  I would
check the first box and select adjust all inconsistencies.  For the
second problem I would use ADSI Edit, find the property associated
with Associated External Account and create a script to automatically
clear that field on an OU basis.  I received a script from Microsoft
which will do this function.
Hope this helps
Shawn

> One site in our organisation contains a mixture of Exchange 5.5/Exchange
> 2000 servers and was created from scratch in the following sequence:

>         An Exchange 5.5 server was used to create a new site within the
> organisation and act as the bridgehead server onto the other sites.

>         The server acts as the target for an ADC used to populate a
> Windows 2000 AD with disabled user accounts.

>         The site was populated by using the 'move server wizard' to shift
> two Exchange 5.5 servers into the new site from other existing sites in the
> organisation.

>         Exchange 2000 servers where then added to the new site and the
> 'move mailbox wizard' used to transferred mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to
> Exchange 2000.

>         Finally the Exchange 5.5 servers which used to contain the
> mailboxes where removed from the site.

>         After a bit of fiddling about everything worked fine.  I know it
> would have been much simpler to put Exchange 2000 servers into the existing
> sites - but that's politics for you!!

> However, we now have two problems - one in Exchange 5.5 and one in Exchange
> 2000.

> Exchange 5.5

> Since the site was created the Primary Windows NT Account for a large group
> of users (about 5500) has been changed and each user has ended up with the
> old Primary Account appearing in the 'Permissions/Windows NT Accounts with
> Permissions' dialogue box with a 'custom' Mailbox owner role.  We need to
> get rid of these but can't get at them using directory import or export as
> they don't appear under either the Obj-Admins, Obj-Perm-Admins or Obj-Users
> pseudo-attribute fields.  Any ideas on how we can delete these entries in
> bulk?

> Exchange 2000

> The change of Primary Windows NT Account is not being replicated through to
> the AD Exchange Advanced/Mailbox Rights entry and the original NT account is
> still attributed with the all important 'Associated External Account'
> permission.  Even if we manually delete the original account in Exchange 5.5
> the AD settings do not change.  It's impractical to change the Rights
> manually as it takes 2-3 minutes to resolve the various account names before
> they can be edited!  Any ideas on how to force the changes into AD?

> Help with either/both problems would be much appreciated.

1. Creating E-mail account without primary NT account on Exchange Server 5.5

In my company we want to migrate our old E-mail server (NT 3.51 with
SL-Mail) to a new E-mail Server (NT 4.0 with Exchange Server 5.5).
My conclusion is that every E-mail Account on the Exchange Server 5.5 needs
a Primary NT Account. Is this conclusion right ?
This is not the situation we want. We would like to make E-mail Accounts on
the Exchange Server without a Primary NT account attached, because the users
in our company use different kind of E-mail client software and are in
different Domains. Is it possible to create an E-mail account without a
Primary NT account attached to it ? With SL-mail this is possible.

Many thanks for your reply,

Dennis

2. Cleaning Mailboxes

3. Exchange doing weird things in event log

4. Exchange 5.5 sp2 primary NT account problem

5. Auto-reply/out of office reply to SMTP addresses???

6. Primary NT Account changed for no reason

7. runout of disk space

8. Long delay for Outlook connect when Primary Windows NT Account changed

9. Changing primary NT account

10. Permission Denied after changing primary windows NT account on a mailbox

11. Changing Primary Windows NT Account