Restore indivdual mailbox from an offline backup?

Restore indivdual mailbox from an offline backup?

Post by Chris Carmichae » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 00:06:40

HELP!

Does anyone out there know of a way to restore and individual mailbox from
an offline backup?  One of our techs deleted a mailbox, and it seems our
bricks level back up wasn't getting all mailboxes.  So now I have no way of
restoring this mailbox.  I have an offline backup, but need to restore it to
another machine with dislike hardware.  Does anyone know of ANY way to do
this?  Or ANY way to get back the data without restoring the priv.edb to our
production server?

Thank You

Chris

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 01:16:13

> HELP!

> Does anyone out there know of a way to restore and individual mailbox from
> an offline backup?  One of our techs deleted a mailbox, and it seems our
> bricks level back up wasn't getting all mailboxes.

This is one of many reasons why brick-level backup sucks. More info at
http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm

Quote:>  So now I have no way of
> restoring this mailbox.  I have an offline backup, but need to restore it to
> another machine with dislike hardware.  Does anyone know of ANY way to do
> this?  Or ANY way to get back the data without restoring the priv.edb to our
> production server?

XADM: Making and Restoring Offline Backups [Q237767]

Quote:

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

Restore indivdual mailbox from an offline backup?

Post by Chris Carmichae » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 01:52:37

Thanks for the help, I've already seen that MSKB and the problem it leaves
me with is that the restore machine I'm using has dislike hardware, so the
registry is different.  Is there really no way to restore an individual
mailbox without having another machine with identical hardware to drop the
database and registry back onto?  I only have the database and logs, if I
dump the other machines registry on to the recovery machine, it won't start
up due to different mass storage controllers.

Chris

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 02:35:58

> Thanks for the help, I've already seen that MSKB and the problem it leaves
> me with is that the restore machine I'm using has dislike hardware, so the
> registry is different.

It makes no difference. Only disk layout should be the same.

Quote:>  Is there really no way to restore an individual
> mailbox without having another machine with identical hardware to drop the
> database and registry back onto?  I only have the database and logs, if I
> dump the other machines registry on to the recovery machine, it won't start
> up due to different mass storage controllers.

Forget about Registry. Install OS (you even can use W2K or even RC of WinXP),
install Exchange, use PerfOpt to relocate database the same way as on production
server, apply current Exchange SP and proceed with referenced article.

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

Restore indivdual mailbox from an offline backup?

Post by don murdoc » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:53:28

   I used to work with some "exchange heads" in a
   former life, and they often lamented this problem.
   I suggest that you remove the drives tht Ex is running
on,  put in a new drive, and recover.  This, of course,
must be done after hours (given that you are having the
dissimilar hardware issue).
   Alternatively - I talked with someone that had mass
storage problems once - they installed both drivers on the
system, and the only one that matched the HW ran.  The
other one logged errors in the event log (so ...).  This
has a slim chance of helping your problem.
   Best of luck.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Thanks for the help, I've already seen that MSKB and the
problem it leaves
>me with is that the restore machine I'm using has dislike
hardware, so the
>registry is different.  Is there really no way to restore
an individual
>mailbox without having another machine with identical

hardware to drop the
Quote:>database and registry back onto?  I only have the

database and logs, if I
Quote:>dump the other machines registry on to the recovery

machine, it won't start
Quote:>up due to different mass storage controllers.

>Chris

>"Kirill S. Palagin"

Quote:>message

>> > HELP!

>> > Does anyone out there know of a way to restore and
individual mailbox
>from
>> > an offline backup?  One of our techs deleted a

mailbox, and it seems our
Quote:>> > bricks level back up wasn't getting all mailboxes.

>> This is one of many reasons why brick-level backup
sucks. More info at
>> http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm

>> >  So now I have no way of
>> > restoring this mailbox.  I have an offline backup,
but need to restore
>it to
>> > another machine with dislike hardware.  Does anyone
know of ANY way to
>do
>> > this?  Or ANY way to get back the data without

restoring the priv.edb to
Quote:>our
>> > production server?

>> XADM: Making and Restoring Offline Backups [Q237767]

>> > Thank You

>> > Chris

>> --
>> Corrections are welcome.

>> For "Good post" practice visit
>> http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

>> Kirill.

>.

1. Restore indivdual mailbox from an offline backup?

HELP!

Does anyone out there know of a way to restore and individual mailbox from
an offline backup?  One of our techs deleted a mailbox, and it seems our
bricks level back up wasn't getting all mailboxes.  So now I have no way of
restoring this mailbox.  I have an offline backup, but need to restore it to
another machine with dislike hardware.  Does anyone know of ANY way to do
this?  Or ANY way to get back the data without restoring the priv.edb to our
production server?

Thank You

Chris

2. A4 Letter printing size

3. Outlook & Exchange synchronisation fails over VPN

4. Offline restore works but online restore fails - W2K backup

5. Has anhyone been able to...

6. Problems after restoring IS+DS from offline backup

7. How can we find out when a user opened an e-mail without a return receipt

8. Exchange offline backup restore

9. Restoring Exchange 5.5 from offline tape backup

10. Restoring Offline backup to different computer

11. Offline Backup to restore to new Server

12. Restore Offline Backup to Server with Different Name???