Exchange Server 2000 services won't start

Exchange Server 2000 services won't start

Post by Jeff Ren » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:04:16

Try setting the Exchange Server to be a GCServer as well...

Quote:> I have installed Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 on a separate Windows 2000
> Server (SP3) in our domain.  When this new server boots up, it is unable
> start the 'Microsoft Exchange System Attendant' service and this
> subsequently doesn't allow the other Exchange services to start.

> The error message in the event viewer is "Event ID: 7001 - The Microsoft
> Exchange Information Store service depends on the Microsoft Exchange
System
> Attendant service which failed to start because of the following error:
> %%0".

> Also in the Application Log of the event viewer the following appears
"Event
> ID: 1005 - Unexpected error  The specified domain either does not exist or
> could not be contacted.  Facility: Win32 ID no: c007054b Microsoft
Exchange
> System Attendant occurred."

> I have found information on the Microsoft KB
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252137) that says
> that the Exchange Server cannot contact a global catalog server.  I have
> followed the instructions to check that the Domain Controller (also a W2K
> server - SP2) has been setup as a global catalog server.

> Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

> Kind regards,

> Daniel

Exchange Server 2000 services won't start

Post by Ben Winzen » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 00:36:07

That only works if the Exchange server has been promoted to a DC, which
hasn't been indicated.

Daniel, you probably also need to check your internal DNS to make sure that
the SRV Resource records have been properly placed into your DNS server that
the Exchange server is using.  From the DC, you can run netdiag from a
command prompt, and it should go through and indicate if there are any
problems.  If you want to limit the test to only DNS, you can run netdiag
/test:dns.  There is also an option to fix problems.  See if that test comes
up with anything.

--
Ben Winzenz
Network Engineer

> Try setting the Exchange Server to be a GCServer as well...

> > I have installed Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 on a separate Windows
2000
> > Server (SP3) in our domain.  When this new server boots up, it is unable
> > start the 'Microsoft Exchange System Attendant' service and this
> > subsequently doesn't allow the other Exchange services to start.

> > The error message in the event viewer is "Event ID: 7001 - The Microsoft
> > Exchange Information Store service depends on the Microsoft Exchange
> System
> > Attendant service which failed to start because of the following error:
> > %%0".

> > Also in the Application Log of the event viewer the following appears
> "Event
> > ID: 1005 - Unexpected error  The specified domain either does not exist
or
> > could not be contacted.  Facility: Win32 ID no: c007054b Microsoft
> Exchange
> > System Attendant occurred."

> > I have found information on the Microsoft KB
> > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252137) that
says
> > that the Exchange Server cannot contact a global catalog server.  I have
> > followed the instructions to check that the Domain Controller (also a
W2K
> > server - SP2) has been setup as a global catalog server.

> > Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

> > Kind regards,

> > Daniel

Exchange Server 2000 services won't start

Post by Enkid » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:16:12

Without anything else to go on, I'd check that DNS is set up
correctly. You can use the tools dcdiag and netdiag to check
everything. Correct setup of DNS is crucial for anything to do with
AD, and I believe that problems like this can be caused by DNS
problems.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:07:22 +1100, "Daniel Zalcman"

--

The Nats held a Party and no one came.