Exchange 2000 - Disaster Recovery - effects

Exchange 2000 - Disaster Recovery - effects

Post by Toby » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 01:11:31

We have 3 Exchange 2000 servers in my organization and we
just had to rebuild one using the /disasterrecovery
switch.  I followed the instructions in KB 297289 and for
the most part it worked.  We are able to pass mail, which
was the important thing.  My question has to do with the
effects to my server after using the /disasterrecovery
switch.  Although we are still in the same exchange
organization and can send/receive mail there still seems
to be some issues with my server.  For one, the exchange
program group wasn't created during the install and
trying to run the System Manager I get:

Snap-in failed to initialize
Name - not available
CLSID {1B600AEA-10BA-11D2-9F28-00C04FA37610}

..then System Manager opens, but you can't do anything
from it.  I use ArcServe to backup Exchange and the agent
for ArcServe doesn't seem to work properly now.  Again,
on the surface Exchange is working, but it still doesn't
seem complete.  I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right,
but there seems to be a ripple effect that is causing
some other apps not to function correctly.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Exchange 2000 - Disaster Recovery - effects

Post by Tim Coveney [MSFT » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:07:58

Sounds like the System Manager components haven't been installed properly -
I would reinstall the server over the top (and the service pack again)

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Coveney
Senior Consultant

Quote:> We have 3 Exchange 2000 servers in my organization and we
> just had to rebuild one using the /disasterrecovery
> switch.  I followed the instructions in KB 297289 and for
> the most part it worked.  We are able to pass mail, which
> was the important thing.  My question has to do with the
> effects to my server after using the /disasterrecovery
> switch.  Although we are still in the same exchange
> organization and can send/receive mail there still seems
> to be some issues with my server.  For one, the exchange
> program group wasn't created during the install and
> trying to run the System Manager I get:

> Snap-in failed to initialize
> Name - not available
> CLSID {1B600AEA-10BA-11D2-9F28-00C04FA37610}

> ..then System Manager opens, but you can't do anything
> from it.  I use ArcServe to backup Exchange and the agent
> for ArcServe doesn't seem to work properly now.  Again,
> on the surface Exchange is working, but it still doesn't
> seem complete.  I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right,
> but there seems to be a ripple effect that is causing
> some other apps not to function correctly.  Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Exchange 2000 - Disaster Recovery - effects

Post by Toby » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:58:15

Are there any special instructions for installing
Exchange 2000 over the top of an existing config?  Or
does setup detect that there is already a config?
Another thing we noticed, was that Exchange 2k installs
to c:\program files\exchsrvr and our config (since we
upgraded from 5.5) was installed to c:\exchsrvr.  I
didn't notice it during the install for exch 2k, but
after we completed the install AD created the
c:\exchsrvr.  So we have some stuff running in
c:\exchsrvr and some in c:\program files\exchsrvr.  Is
there a way to fix that?  Doing the install over the top,
if I tell it to install to c:\exchsrvr, can I then move
the contents from c:\program files\exchsrvr to the other?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Sounds like the System Manager components haven't been

installed properly -
>I would reinstall the server over the top (and the
service pack again)

>Cheers,

>Tim

>--
>Tim Coveney
>Senior Consultant
>Microsoft Services Organisation

confers no rights.
-------------------

>> We have 3 Exchange 2000 servers in my organization and
we
>> just had to rebuild one using the /disasterrecovery
>> switch.  I followed the instructions in KB 297289 and
for
>> the most part it worked.  We are able to pass mail,
which
>> was the important thing.  My question has to do with
the
>> effects to my server after using the /disasterrecovery
>> switch.  Although we are still in the same exchange
>> organization and can send/receive mail there still
seems
>> to be some issues with my server.  For one, the
exchange
>> program group wasn't created during the install and
>> trying to run the System Manager I get:

>> Snap-in failed to initialize
>> Name - not available
>> CLSID {1B600AEA-10BA-11D2-9F28-00C04FA37610}

>> ..then System Manager opens, but you can't do anything
>> from it.  I use ArcServe to backup Exchange and the
agent
>> for ArcServe doesn't seem to work properly now.  Again,
>> on the surface Exchange is working, but it still
doesn't
>> seem complete.  I'm not sure if I'm explaining it
right,
>> but there seems to be a ripple effect that is causing
>> some other apps not to function correctly.  Any help
>> would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

>.

1. Exchange 2000 - Disaster Recovery - effects

Please see my answer in Documentation group...

--
Sincerely,

Nino Bilic
MCSE+I, W2K MCSE, MCSA, A+
Microsoft Exchange Support

Find out about Strategic Technology Protection Program and get our Security
Toolkit! Go to http://www.microsoft.com/security .

2. Using Exchange Statistics from EventViewer

3. Securing IIS/OWA

4. WebDAV lockdiscovery

5. filter emails that contain *.exe attachments...

6. Exchange Disaster Recovery becoming a Disaster

7. Exchange 2000 Disaster Recovery Plan

8. Exchange 2000 disaster recovery problem

9. Exchange 2000 availability at a Disaster Recovery Site