outlook 2002 / Exchange 5.5 Public Folder Problem

outlook 2002 / Exchange 5.5 Public Folder Problem

Post by Matt Smit » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 01:20:34

Error Message:
"Unable to save changes to the document.  Your changes will be placed in the
temporary file, ... Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKB\...' You
can copy this file into the original folder if you want to recover your
changes to the original document.  You do not have sufficient permission to
perform this operation on this object.  See the folder contact or your
system administrator."

When opening a file from an Exchange 5.5 Public Folder that you have rights
to read but not modify.
This happens after you have opened a .doc,.ppt,.xls,.pdf ...etc when you
CLOSE the application that viewed the file.
I would understand if this error came up when you tried to SAVE the
document, but not when you CLOSE the app used to view.

Seems like I remember this being an annoying issue with Outlook 98 and
PowerPoint files.  Something abou the preview pane.  But this is not a fix
for Outlook 2002.

Please help,

Kelly Greer

outlook 2002 / Exchange 5.5 Public Folder Problem

Post by AI » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:54:01

Hello,

You may need to check if Temporary directory exists and if you have
permissions enough to write there because attachment. Please refer to
"OL2002: Opened Attachments Are Saved in a Subdirectory in Your Temporary
Internet Files Directory (Q296115)" at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q296115.

Regards,

Intermedia.NET (AI)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
Providing expertise in hosting applications
MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

Post by AI » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:55:19

Hello,

You may need to check if Temporary directory exists and if you have
permissions enough to write there because attachment. Please refer to
"OL2002: Opened Attachments Are Saved in a Subdirectory in Your Temporary
Internet Files Directory (Q296115)" at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q296115.

Regards,

Intermedia.NET (AI)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
Providing expertise in hosting applications
MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

> Error Message:
> "Unable to save changes to the document.  Your changes will be placed in
the
> temporary file, ... Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKB\...' You
> can copy this file into the original folder if you want to recover your
> changes to the original document.  You do not have sufficient permission
> perform this operation on this object.  See the folder contact or your
> system administrator."

> When opening a file from an Exchange 5.5 Public Folder that you have
rights
> to read but not modify.
> This happens after you have opened a .doc,.ppt,.xls,.pdf ...etc when you
> CLOSE the application that viewed the file.
> I would understand if this error came up when you tried to SAVE the
> document, but not when you CLOSE the app used to view.

> Seems like I remember this being an annoying issue with Outlook 98 and
> PowerPoint files.  Something abou the preview pane.  But this is not a fix
> for Outlook 2002.

> Please help,

> Kelly Greer

outlook 2002 / Exchange 5.5 Public Folder Problem

Post by Matt Smit » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 06:34:48

Here is some more information:
This error will occur with:
Windows 2000 Pro (not customized, full install)
Outlook 2002 (not customized, full install)
Exchange 5.5 Public Folder with documents. NOT documents as attachments to
Posts or Mail Messages
You must only have read permissions to this Public Folder.

The only added information that I can give is the problem seems to stem from
the same service that Front Page 2002 uses when you use it for site
management but open an item in Notepad.  FrontPage 2002 will watch for the
moment that you close notepad to send the file thru WebDAV back to the Web
Server.
Not when you save from Notepad.

I say that this problem seems similar because as soon as you CLOSE the
application, the error occurs. It does not matter if the app is Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, Adobe PDF Viewer, etc...
It is as if Outlook is trying to tap into this same service watch for when
you close the app, and take those changes back to Exchange.

I checked permissions of the all temp folders involved, and users have full
rights to these locations.

HELP!

Thanks,
Kelly Greer

> Hello,

> You may need to check if Temporary directory exists and if you have
> permissions enough to write there because attachment. Please refer to
> "OL2002: Opened Attachments Are Saved in a Subdirectory in Your Temporary
> Internet Files Directory (Q296115)" at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q296115.

> Regards,

> Intermedia.NET (AI)
> Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
> Providing expertise in hosting applications
> MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
> Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
> For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

> > Error Message:
> > "Unable to save changes to the document.  Your changes will be placed in
> the
> > temporary file, ... Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKB\...'
You
> > can copy this file into the original folder if you want to recover your
> > changes to the original document.  You do not have sufficient permission
> > perform this operation on this object.  See the folder contact or your
> > system administrator."

> > When opening a file from an Exchange 5.5 Public Folder that you have
> rights
> > to read but not modify.
> > This happens after you have opened a .doc,.ppt,.xls,.pdf ...etc when you
> > CLOSE the application that viewed the file.
> > I would understand if this error came up when you tried to SAVE the
> > document, but not when you CLOSE the app used to view.

> > Seems like I remember this being an annoying issue with Outlook 98 and
> > PowerPoint files.  Something abou the preview pane.  But this is not a
fix
> > for Outlook 2002.

> > Please help,

> > Kelly Greer

1. outlook 2002 / Exchange 5.5 Public Folder Problem

[...]

2. How to get an email delivery notification

3. SMTP Extension

4. outlook 2002 / Exchange Public Folder Error

5. Cannot send using OL2000 smtp

6. Exchange 2000 Outlook conectivity

7. Outlook 2002/Exchange 5.5 - Open Other User's Folders

8. Outlook 2002 clients cannot see Exchange 5.5 Pub Folders

9. Calendar Problem in Exchange 5.5 / Outlook 2002

10. Remote Outlook 2002 connection to Exchange 5.5 Problem