I Hate SPAM

Post by Alan J. Englis » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 06:53:03

Anyone using this product on Exchange 2000?  What are your experiences with
it?  Would you recommend it?

Thanks,

Alan

I Hate SPAM

Post by jar » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 07:01:35

> Anyone using this product on Exchange 2000?  What are your experiences with
> it?  Would you recommend it?

Yes it does work very well, it got about 95% out of the box in less than a
five minute install.

Ten minutes of tuning and they were at 98%.

I forget the group name on that server but there are some good groups
there.

I Hate SPAM

Post by Mark Fugatt [MVP » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 01:15:46

I have been running it in my lab, and so far I am very happy with the
results I am seeing.

--
Mark Fugatt
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Quote:> Anyone using this product on Exchange 2000?  What are your experiences
with
> it?  Would you recommend it?

> Thanks,

> Alan

1. HELP!! I Hate Spam!

I work for an ISP running Exchange Server 5.5 / IIS 3.0 / NT Server 4.0

I am having a spam problem too.  I've tried the "Clients can only submit
if homed on this server" and "Clients can only submit if authentication
account matches submission address" and also the "Accept connections
only from hosts using:" options in the Server Admin.  It seems that I am
apparently not clear on how the anti-spam stuff works on Exchange 5.5 or
I've done something wrong in the setup.

Here's the situation,

1-A spammer is using our mail server to relay UCE to hundreds of email
addresses (very frustrating). This UCE of course had bogus header
information, and tracking the message didn't tell me anything useful,
only what I already knew - the bogus header info.

2-I checked the "Clients can only submit if authentication account
matches submission address" option in the server admin, I get this
prompt: "The client restrictions you have selected require Accept
connections only from hosts using Authentication or only from hosts
using Authentication and Encryption to be selected."

3-So....I check "Accept Connections only from hosts using:
AUTHENTICATION."

4-Now, valid users cannot login to check mail.

What exactly do I need to put in the "Accept connections only from hosts
using: " box?  If I click the HOSTS button, I can enter IP addresses and
domains, but I can't possibly know the domain of a spammer until they
spam. I want to prevent them from the get go.  Should I specify the IP
addresses of the Dial-in users with "allow" priviledge?

I need some real help here. I hate spam! I need to reject mail from
users who are not authenticated, but I can't seem to do that AND allow
valid users to login to get mail.

PLEASE HELP!

Cheryl Bishop
CorpNet Technologies, Inc.
http://www.corpnettech.com/

2. Upgrading from standard to the Enterprise edition

3. Offline Address Book problems (2nd Attempt)

4. Hate that INCOMMING spam...

5. Tricky undeliverable problem - Exchange 5.5

6. $$$ MAKE MONEY $$$ SPAM SPAM SPAM

7. Purge Deleted Item on Server

8. Spam, Spam, Spam

9. $$$ MAKE MONEY $$$ SPAM SPAM SPAM