Backup

Post by Mike » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:18:36

I am using Win2k's built-in backup to back up my Exchange 2000 Server.  The
last time I did this, the job bombed halfway, but there were no errors in
the event viewer.  Are there any services that I should stop, dismount, or
otherwise, before I attempt backup again?  Are there any other preparations
I should do beforehand?  As always, thank you in advance.

Mike.

Backup

Post by Mike » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:27:41

Just read some stuff that suggested I should not attempt to backup any
Exchange 2000 system files and the M drive.  I knew about the M drive, but
system files?  Is there any truth to this?  by the way, I am using the Win2k
built-in backup.

Thanks in Advance.

Mike

1. Help on NT/Exchange backup with native NT Backup

I'm trying to configure our network to backup all NT servers (including an
Exchange 5.5 server) using one dedicated backup server with the native NT
backup software.  I installed the Exchange Administrator program on the
dedicated backup server which in turn gave me the enhanced Exchange backup
capabilities (essentially an open files backup for the pub and pri
information stores).  I've got all the drives mapped correctly and i have no
problems backing up the non-Exchange servers.  When i try to backup the
Exchange server, this is the error message i get..

INSUFFICIENT DISK SPACE.  VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE FULL ACCESS TO THE WORKING
DIRECTORY AND THERE IS DISK SPACE AVAILABLE.

There's plenty of diskspace on all servers and on the tape, so that can't be
it.  I attached to the Exchange server as administrator, so i'm not sure why
i would get an access denial..

Also, is it possible to use the native backup from the command line WITH the
enhanced Exchange features?  ..Or are those features only available in the
GUI backup?  The reason i ask is that i need to schedule it using the AT
command and i'm not sure how to use the AT command to schedule a GUI backup.

Any thoughts?  Ideas?  Insight?...

THANKS!!!
-jim

2. Messages not received from business client

3. Backup MS Exchange with LINUX backup program

4. Inbound mail failure

5. Info Store Backup vs Brick Level Backup with Arcserve Exchange

6. Error while trying to install exchange 5.5 on windows 2k (with .net installed)

7. What to backup and howto backup online

8. Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003 co-existence

9. use Windows 2000 Backup to backup Exchange?

10. NT Backup fails to backup IS

11. Backup Exchange using W2K Backup program

12. Using NT Backup to Backup Exchange Question

13. Backup Exchange from backup server