Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

Post by noghri_v » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 06:29:33

I'm having a problem with exchange starting to fill up my entire hard
drive. I've look at the directory sizes and the dir /exchsvr/mdbdata
is 1.55 gigs in size. Now there are a lot of log files in ther 955 MB
worth.....how do I clear them out. I do have my server set up to
remove log files older then 7 days but it appears that this hasen't
happend. Anyone know what I need to do?

Also I have the service name "Microsoft Exchange Directory" is not
it's not there anymore. It was in  /exchsvr/bin/dsamain.exe I'm
struggling here can someone help me out?

Thanks
-Chris Hummert

Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

Post by Andrew Bir » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 14:10:34

Two options..

- Use a decent backup program which has an MS Exchange agent - this will
clear the logs out each night. This is the preferred option (by a long long
way).
- Turn circular logging on. Right click on your first storage group, and
tick "Enable Circular Logging". Make sure you know the consequences of doing
this - there is a help topic which refers to "Circular Logging".

--andrew--

Quote:> I'm having a problem with exchange starting to fill up my entire hard
> drive. I've look at the directory sizes and the dir /exchsvr/mdbdata
> is 1.55 gigs in size. Now there are a lot of log files in ther 955 MB
> worth.....how do I clear them out. I do have my server set up to
> remove log files older then 7 days but it appears that this hasen't
> happend. Anyone know what I need to do?

> Also I have the service name "Microsoft Exchange Directory" is not
> it's not there anymore. It was in  /exchsvr/bin/dsamain.exe I'm
> struggling here can someone help me out?

> Thanks
> -Chris Hummert

Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

Post by noghri_v » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 04:04:27

Actually I can't run BackExce right now becuese of the second error I
reported I was having. This sucks...but I did have it running but it
didn't clear our the old log files....Any other safe way to get rid of
them?

Anyone have a solution on what I should to do to fix my other
problem?:

Quote:>> Also I have the service name "Microsoft Exchange Directory" is not
>> it's not there anymore. It was in  /exchsvr/bin/dsamain.exe I'm
>> struggling here can someone help me out?

Thanks
-Chris

>Two options..

>- Use a decent backup program which has an MS Exchange agent - this will
>clear the logs out each night. This is the preferred option (by a long long
>way).
>- Turn circular logging on. Right click on your first storage group, and
>tick "Enable Circular Logging". Make sure you know the consequences of doing
>this - there is a help topic which refers to "Circular Logging".

>--andrew--

>> I'm having a problem with exchange starting to fill up my entire hard
>> drive. I've look at the directory sizes and the dir /exchsvr/mdbdata
>> is 1.55 gigs in size. Now there are a lot of log files in ther 955 MB
>> worth.....how do I clear them out. I do have my server set up to
>> remove log files older then 7 days but it appears that this hasen't
>> happend. Anyone know what I need to do?

>> Also I have the service name "Microsoft Exchange Directory" is not
>> it's not there anymore. It was in  /exchsvr/bin/dsamain.exe I'm
>> struggling here can someone help me out?

>> Thanks
>> -Chris Hummert

Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

Post by Thomas Joyc » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 05:22:09

You still have ntbackup.exe that can properly backup your store and remove
the logfiles.  Even without a tape drive attached, you can backup to a file.

Do you have enough hard drive space to perform a full backup the store to
file somewhere?

-Thomas

> Actually I can't run BackExce right now becuese of the second error I
> reported I was having. This sucks...but I did have it running but it
> didn't clear our the old log files....Any other safe way to get rid of
> them?

> Anyone have a solution on what I should to do to fix my other
> problem?:

> >> Also I have the service name "Microsoft Exchange Directory" is not
> >> it's not there anymore. It was in  /exchsvr/bin/dsamain.exe I'm
> >> struggling here can someone help me out?

> Thanks
> -Chris

> >Two options..

> >- Use a decent backup program which has an MS Exchange agent - this will
> >clear the logs out each night. This is the preferred option (by a long
long
> >way).
> >- Turn circular logging on. Right click on your first storage group, and
> >tick "Enable Circular Logging". Make sure you know the consequences of
doing
> >this - there is a help topic which refers to "Circular Logging".

> >--andrew--

> >> I'm having a problem with exchange starting to fill up my entire hard
> >> drive. I've look at the directory sizes and the dir /exchsvr/mdbdata
> >> is 1.55 gigs in size. Now there are a lot of log files in ther 955 MB
> >> worth.....how do I clear them out. I do have my server set up to
> >> remove log files older then 7 days but it appears that this hasen't
> >> happend. Anyone know what I need to do?

> >> Also I have the service name "Microsoft Exchange Directory" is not
> >> it's not there anymore. It was in  /exchsvr/bin/dsamain.exe I'm
> >> struggling here can someone help me out?

> >> Thanks
> >> -Chris Hummert

Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

Post by noghri_v » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 08:24:18

Ok I tried that.....it won't backup because it says the service
"Microsoft Exchange Directory" as I mentioned in my previous post.
Anyone know how to fix the problem?
-Chris

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:22:09 -0400, "Thomas Joyce"

>You still have ntbackup.exe that can properly backup your store and remove
>the logfiles.  Even without a tape drive attached, you can backup to a file.

>Do you have enough hard drive space to perform a full backup the store to
>file somewhere?

>-Thomas

>> Actually I can't run BackExce right now becuese of the second error I
>> reported I was having. This sucks...but I did have it running but it
>> didn't clear our the old log files....Any other safe way to get rid of
>> them?

>> Anyone have a solution on what I should to do to fix my other
>> problem?:

>> Thanks
>> -Chris

>> >Two options..

>> >- Use a decent backup program which has an MS Exchange agent - this will
>> >clear the logs out each night. This is the preferred option (by a long
>long
>> >way).
>> >- Turn circular logging on. Right click on your first storage group, and
>> >tick "Enable Circular Logging". Make sure you know the consequences of
>doing
>> >this - there is a help topic which refers to "Circular Logging".

>> >--andrew--

Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

Post by Amiri Jone » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 04:31:15

    On the computer that you are attempting to run NTBackup, run Exchange
Server Setup and install Exchange Service Manager.  This will install, among
other things, the necessary extensions to use NTBackup to backup an Exchange
server.

> Ok I tried that.....it won't backup because it says the service
> "Microsoft Exchange Directory" as I mentioned in my previous post.
> Anyone know how to fix the problem?
> -Chris

> On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:22:09 -0400, "Thomas Joyce"

> >You still have ntbackup.exe that can properly backup your store and
remove
> >the logfiles.  Even without a tape drive attached, you can backup to a
file.

> >Do you have enough hard drive space to perform a full backup the store to
> >file somewhere?

> >-Thomas

> >> Actually I can't run BackExce right now becuese of the second error I
> >> reported I was having. This sucks...but I did have it running but it
> >> didn't clear our the old log files....Any other safe way to get rid of
> >> them?

> >> Anyone have a solution on what I should to do to fix my other
> >> problem?:

> >> Thanks
> >> -Chris

> >long
> >doing

MB

Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

Post by noghri_v » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 07:16:56

Ok I didn't think that would work but I tried it again....I still got
the message saying that backup was NOT successful because the service
"Microsoft Exchange Directory" was not responding. So again does
anyone know how I can fix that?
-Chris

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 15:31:15 -0400, "Amiri Jones"

>    On the computer that you are attempting to run NTBackup, run Exchange
>Server Setup and install Exchange Service Manager.  This will install, among
>other things, the necessary extensions to use NTBackup to backup an Exchange
>server.

>> Ok I tried that.....it won't backup because it says the service
>> "Microsoft Exchange Directory" as I mentioned in my previous post.
>> Anyone know how to fix the problem?
>> -Chris

>> On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:22:09 -0400, "Thomas Joyce"

>> >You still have ntbackup.exe that can properly backup your store and
>remove
>> >the logfiles.  Even without a tape drive attached, you can backup to a
>file.

>> >Do you have enough hard drive space to perform a full backup the store to
>> >file somewhere?

>> >-Thomas

>and

>will
>> >long
>and
>> >doing

>hard
>MB

>and

1. Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

I'm having a problem with exchange starting to fill up my entire hard
drive. I've look at the directory sizes and the dir /exchsvr/mdbdata
is 1.55 gigs in size. Now there are a lot of log files in ther 955 MB
worth.....how do I clear them out. I do have my server set up to
remove log files older then 7 days but it appears that this hasen't
happend. Anyone know what I need to do?

Also I have the service name "Microsoft Exchange Directory" is not
it's not there anymore. It was in  /exchsvr/bin/dsamain.exe I'm
struggling here can someone help me out?

Thanks
-Chris Hummert

2. What's the best Anti Spam program?

3. Exchange 2000 mysteriously filling up hard drive

4. Duplicated Disclaimer

5. Exchange 2000 server mysteriously filling up hard drive

6. FE/BE setup

7. PLEASE HELP !Exchange 2000 server is mysteriously filling up hard drive

8. site connections w/ different org names

9. Exchange 2000 Server mysteriously filling up hard drive...

10. Exchange server 5.5 filling up hard drive

11. hard drive filling up

12. Help !!! PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

13. Moving Exchange server from Primary (C) drive to secondary hard drive