Using SQL has a Personal Address Book within Outlook

Using SQL has a Personal Address Book within Outlook

Post by Dean Hobb » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

I have a contacts system where the data is stored in SQL.  I would like
users to be able to resolve names from within Outlook but by using data from
my SQL Database rather than just the Global Address List and Outlook
Contacts.

Has anybody any ideas if this is possible.  I have discovered that you can
add a Microsoft LDAP Directory as an Outlook Service so I was wondering
whether this was a method of doing it.

Is it possible to create your own services that can be used by Outlook.

Failing this I will have to create a synchronisation process that creates
Outlook contacts but I would rather not do this and this would be a last
resort.  Any info would be appreciated an via email would be even better.

Cheers

Dean Hobbs

Using SQL has a Personal Address Book within Outlook

Post by Sue Mosher [MVP » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/groupcontacts.htm for a limited
collection of MAPI address book providers that can link to ODBC data
sources. If you want to create your own MAPI provider, it's done with C++
and the MAPI SDK.
--
Sue Mosher
Author of

> I have a contacts system where the data is stored in SQL.  I would like
> users to be able to resolve names from within Outlook but by using data
from
> my SQL Database rather than just the Global Address List and Outlook
> Contacts.

> Has anybody any ideas if this is possible.  I have discovered that you can
> add a Microsoft LDAP Directory as an Outlook Service so I was wondering
> whether this was a method of doing it.

> Is it possible to create your own services that can be used by Outlook.

> Failing this I will have to create a synchronisation process that creates
> Outlook contacts but I would rather not do this and this would be a last
> resort.  Any info would be appreciated an via email would be even better.

> Cheers

> Dean Hobbs

1. Using SQL has a Personal Address Book within Outlook

I have a contacts system where the data is stored in SQL.  I would like
users to be able to resolve names from within Outlook but by using data from
my SQL Database rather than just the Global Address List and Outlook
Contacts.

Has anybody any ideas if this is possible.  I have discovered that you can
add a Microsoft LDAP Directory as an Outlook Service so I was wondering
whether this was a method of doing it.

Is it possible to create your own services that can be used by Outlook.

Failing this I will have to create a synchronisation process that creates
Outlook contacts but I would rather not do this and this would be a last
resort.  Any info would be appreciated an via email would be even better.

Cheers

Dean Hobbs

2. missing messages in OL2000, exchange srvr 5.5

3. Using an SQL database to populate Public Address Books w/Outlook Clients

4. migraion

5. Outlook Address Book vs Personal Address Book

6. OWA logon .. HTML based instead of getting a prompt?

7. Convert Internet Mail Address Book to Outlook Personal Address Book

8. OWA and Public Calendars

9. Using Outlook Contacts as Address Book in Address Book View

10. Keep Personal Address in Contacts rather than Personal Address Book

11. How create copy of address list in personal address book in MS Outlook 2000

12. Update Exchange Server Address Book using SQL