Script debugger and exchange server

Post by Andrew Smi » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

hi all

has anyone out there been able to use the script de* to step through
exchange server event scripts?  I've gotten sort of a runaround from
microsoft's tech support, and am looking for confirmation that this will
indeed work.  the exchange documentation says something like 'you can
debug folder event scripts with the script de*.  install IIS4 or IE4
to install the de*.  consult these products' documentation for
further info.' -- and of course the documentation for either says nothing
about exchange server.  putting a 'stop' command in the folder event
script launches the de* on the exchange server machine as it should,
but it doesn't come up with the script in it, and it doesn't stop the
script.  the de* works fine with ASPs in IIS and with Outlook client
form scripts, but not with server-based event scripts.

any comments would be greatly appreciated!

andrew

--

Script debugger and exchange server

Post by Weber Siegfrie » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Just a few things to take care about.

It should be a good idea to use the same NT Account for all Exchange
Services including the Event Service. However, this can be a potential
security problem. Please read the Exchange 5.5 Release Notes about that
issue.

Also you may create a separate mailbox and assign it the NT Account
which is used for the Event Service. Add your NT Account with user
permissions and use only this mailbox to create or modify Scripting
Agent scripts, because each scripting session is logged in with the
Microsoft Exchange Server identity of the last person who saved the
script. This behavior is described in the Exchange 5.5 Release Notes
too.

Have you tried to logon on the local Exchange Server machine with the
account which has been used to install the Exchange Scripting Agent
script (the NT Account and mailbox of the last editor)?

Hope that helps

Siegfried Weber
EcoNet Network Consulting
Munich, Germany

[...]

Post by M » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Have you tried putting a stop statement in your script?

--
Regards

Andrew Clinick
Microsoft Scripting Program Manager
http://www.veryComputer.com/

>hi all

>has anyone out there been able to use the script de* to step through
>exchange server event scripts?  I've gotten sort of a runaround from
>microsoft's tech support, and am looking for confirmation that this will
>indeed work.  the exchange documentation says something like 'you can
>debug folder event scripts with the script de*.  install IIS4 or IE4
>to install the de*.  consult these products' documentation for
>further info.' -- and of course the documentation for either says nothing
>about exchange server.  putting a 'stop' command in the folder event
>script launches the de* on the exchange server machine as it should,
>but it doesn't come up with the script in it, and it doesn't stop the
>script.  the de* works fine with ASPs in IIS and with Outlook client
>form scripts, but not with server-based event scripts.

>any comments would be greatly appreciated!

>andrew

>--

Script debugger and exchange server

Post by J J van Wondere » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I read somewhere that you must be logged on to the Exch server with the same
account that the script uses to run - usually the Service account.

I haven't tried to use the de* - most of what I have done has been
simple enough just to use the script.response to check variables etc.

Hope that helps

Regards

John Webb

Script debugger and exchange server

Post by Don Bradle » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Andrew,
Wellcome to stone age development. Yes you can do this.
1. You need IE4 and outlook installed on the Exchange server.
2. You need to be logged into the exchange server as the account that the
script executes under.
3. For vbscript place a stop in the source.

Make sure that it is a TEST server you are working with. When your script
hits the break point the Exchange Event service halts for everyone.

 There are actually articles  in MSDN (Highly recommend reading) regarding
this.
don

>hi all

>has anyone out there been able to use the script de* to step through
>exchange server event scripts?

1. Script Debugger & Exchange 5.5 Scripts

Hello all, I am venturing into new territory here with CDO and server-side
scripts on Exchange 5.5. I want to use the script debugger on the server so
that I can get a better idea of what happens as my scripts are running, but
it doesn't seem to work exactly the way it should. I have installed the
Script Debugger on my test server and have put a STOP statement into a
script. The Stop statement invokes the Script Debugger on the server, but it
does not show me the code. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Server:
    NT 4.0 SP3
    Exchange 5.5 (120 day eval - it won't take SP1)
    IE 4.0 SP1
    Script Debugger 1.0.7295
    Logged in with Exchange Admin account

Client:
    Outlook 98

thanks!
--
Katherine G.

--
Katherine G.

[Remove nospam from email to reply]

2. Outlook access to Ex2000 over the internet

3. debugger for Exchange Agent script never starts

4. Character support

5. Cant get debugger to work for Exchange scripts.

6. "Public" News Server that Lists this Group?

7. Cant Debugger Exchange Agent Script

8. personal folders wont be deleted

9. debugger for Exchange Agent script never starts

10. Lost my Script Debugger!

11. Getting script debugger to kick in

12. Scripting Debugger does not work

13. Lost my Script Debugger!