Outlook and Exchange security problem

Post by Ole Morten Ber » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:00:10

Hi!

I'm using Outlook 2000 as a client, and Exchange 2000 as mailserver.
Recently, I've been unable to open attachments on incoming mail, Outlook
says the following:
"Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments:
myfile.exe"

Using the troubleshooter in Outlook, I came across the following
explanation:
"You may have received a message that contains a level 1 e-mail security
attachment file type. To prevent the inadvertent spread of viruses,
Microsoft Outlook checks the file type of each attachment in a received
message against the file types on the e-mail security attachment file type
list. If an attachment is a file type that can contain code that can run
without warning, you cannot see or access the attachment."

Digging a little further, I have found out that tis level 1 e-mail security
attachment file type list
can be modified on the Exchange server, but I can't find this anywhere. And
I can't shut
off this security setting anywhere else.
Can anyone help me?

Greetings from
Ole Morten Berg

Outlook and Exchange security problem

Post by Ed Woodric » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 23:23:22

It sounds like you've installed Office SP2 or the Outlook Security Patch.

Many people are not recommending that these be installed because of the
situation that you face.

The only way to remove is to reinstall Outlook.

--
Ed Woodrick
MVP - Exchange

> Hi!

> I'm using Outlook 2000 as a client, and Exchange 2000 as mailserver.
> Recently, I've been unable to open attachments on incoming mail, Outlook
> says the following:
> "Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments:
> myfile.exe"

> Using the troubleshooter in Outlook, I came across the following
> explanation:
> "You may have received a message that contains a level 1 e-mail security
> attachment file type. To prevent the inadvertent spread of viruses,
> Microsoft Outlook checks the file type of each attachment in a received
> message against the file types on the e-mail security attachment file type
> list. If an attachment is a file type that can contain code that can run
> without warning, you cannot see or access the attachment."

> Digging a little further, I have found out that tis level 1 e-mail
security
> attachment file type list
> can be modified on the Exchange server, but I can't find this anywhere.
And
> I can't shut
> off this security setting anywhere else.
> Can anyone help me?

> Greetings from
> Ole Morten Berg

Outlook and Exchange security problem

Post by Leslie Hirschhor » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 04:18:29

Check out the following website.  It explains a way around the patch using
Custom Forms in Exchange.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm

Leslie