domain name problem

Post by Dave Thornle » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 04:25:01

Hello all,

We have a problem with Exchange 2000, namely that the forest name contains
an underscore.

This hasn't been a problem so far, we've only recently started moving
mailboxes to Exchange 2000 from the existing 5.5 servers. Today we noticed a
couple of bounced mails from the Antigen service on the Exchange 2000 server
rejected because of the underscore.

From what I understand all the system mailboxes get an smtp address from the
Default Recipient Policy, in our setup this contains the underscore, the
reason why Antigens mail is bounced. I understand that things such as Public
Folder replication and so on will use these smtp addresses in a native
Exchange 2000 environment.

We don't have problems mailing internally, although I assume that as we only
have one Exchange 2000 server all the inter-server traffic is using X400 at
present.

The questions I have really are:
Will inter-server communication fail between 2 Exchange 2000 servers where
the domain name contains an underscore? The SMTP RFCs says that the server
must reject a message where the address contains an underscore (I really
wish I'd known that before....!)

If it is a showstopper of a problem how can we get out of it? Things I've
considered so far are:

Uninstalling Exchange 2000, adding a new tree to the forest and reinstalling
Exchange into that tree - I don't think this will work as the forest root
will still be the old domain, correct?

Bringing up a new forest, adding a trust to the old one, installing Exchange
2000 in there and using ADMT to move all the accounts and servers across.
Seems to be the best bet, although the most work...

Wait for .NET server and Domain Rename Tool, but I can't find any
information on how using this impacts Exchange 2000. I've seen some
suggestion that this tool works on Windows 2000 servers, any comments?

Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

dave

domain name problem

Post by Bryan Nyc » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 04:32:56

> Hello all,

> We have a problem with Exchange 2000, namely that the forest name
> contains an underscore.

> This hasn't been a problem so far, we've only recently started moving
> mailboxes to Exchange 2000 from the existing 5.5 servers. Today we
> noticed a couple of bounced mails from the Antigen service on the
> Exchange 2000 server rejected because of the underscore.

> From what I understand all the system mailboxes get an smtp address
> from the Default Recipient Policy, in our setup this contains the
> underscore, the reason why Antigens mail is bounced. I understand
> that things such as Public Folder replication and so on will use
> these smtp addresses in a native Exchange 2000 environment.

> We don't have problems mailing internally, although I assume that as
> we only have one Exchange 2000 server all the inter-server traffic is
> using X400 at present.

> The questions I have really are:
> Will inter-server communication fail between 2 Exchange 2000 servers
> where the domain name contains an underscore? The SMTP RFCs says that
> the server must reject a message where the address contains an
> underscore (I really wish I'd known that before....!)

> If it is a showstopper of a problem how can we get out of it? Things
> I've considered so far are:

> Uninstalling Exchange 2000, adding a new tree to the forest and
> reinstalling Exchange into that tree - I don't think this will work
> as the forest root will still be the old domain, correct?

> Bringing up a new forest, adding a trust to the old one, installing
> Exchange 2000 in there and using ADMT to move all the accounts and
> servers across. Seems to be the best bet, although the most work...

> Wait for .NET server and Domain Rename Tool, but I can't find any
> information on how using this impacts Exchange 2000. I've seen some
> suggestion that this tool works on Windows 2000 servers, any comments?

> Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received!

> Thanks in advance

> dave

Why not just change the default recipient policy to remove the underscore?

Bryan Nyce

domain name problem

Post by Dave Thornle » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 04:39:51

> > Hello all,

> > We have a problem with Exchange 2000, namely that the forest name
> > contains an underscore.

> > This hasn't been a problem so far, we've only recently started moving
> > mailboxes to Exchange 2000 from the existing 5.5 servers. Today we
> > noticed a couple of bounced mails from the Antigen service on the
> > Exchange 2000 server rejected because of the underscore.

> > From what I understand all the system mailboxes get an smtp address
> > from the Default Recipient Policy, in our setup this contains the
> > underscore, the reason why Antigens mail is bounced. I understand
> > that things such as Public Folder replication and so on will use
> > these smtp addresses in a native Exchange 2000 environment.

> > We don't have problems mailing internally, although I assume that as
> > we only have one Exchange 2000 server all the inter-server traffic is
> > using X400 at present.

> > The questions I have really are:
> > Will inter-server communication fail between 2 Exchange 2000 servers
> > where the domain name contains an underscore? The SMTP RFCs says that
> > the server must reject a message where the address contains an
> > underscore (I really wish I'd known that before....!)

> > If it is a showstopper of a problem how can we get out of it? Things
> > I've considered so far are:

> > Uninstalling Exchange 2000, adding a new tree to the forest and
> > reinstalling Exchange into that tree - I don't think this will work
> > as the forest root will still be the old domain, correct?

> > Bringing up a new forest, adding a trust to the old one, installing
> > Exchange 2000 in there and using ADMT to move all the accounts and
> > servers across. Seems to be the best bet, although the most work...

> > Wait for .NET server and Domain Rename Tool, but I can't find any
> > information on how using this impacts Exchange 2000. I've seen some
> > suggestion that this tool works on Windows 2000 servers, any comments?

> > Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received!

> > Thanks in advance

> > dave

> Why not just change the default recipient policy to remove the underscore?

> Bryan Nyce

Thanks Bryan

I thought that, but I'm told by someone else on the Exchange team that this
is supposed to be a really bad idea, although I'm not sure why, and can't
find out much information about what problems might be caused.

cheers

dave

1. Root domain name problem

         After I create a Site Conference Calendar mailbox or a resource mailbox
for a particular conferencing site, the item is not displayed in the property
page of the Conference Management Service (CMS).
         TechNet article Q272635 told me that it is because my root domain does
not have domain name extension (i.e. .com, .net). I use only my company name as
the root domain name ("abcco.") and install Exchange 2000 in the child domain
("corp.abcco.").
         The article said I must reconstruct my root domain to have an extension.
Would you give me some suggestions about this problem. I do not want to change my
root domain right away if this configuration will not lead to another serious
problems.
         Your suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Jitsatha Thatavakorn.

2. Time sync with Novell 4.11

3. Domain name problem and non-Exchange legacy server

4. Can't add new mail address, please help

5. OWA Authentication on second domain name problem

6. Synch Log error

7. Domain name problem preventing signing on to IM.

8. Replication of mailboxes

9. How to solve missing domain name problem ?

10. ISP pop mail and Domain name problems

11. Root domain name problem

12. Is this a Domain Name problem?

13. E2K Domain Naming Problem