Can send SMTP out, but can't get SMTP Mail In

Can send SMTP out, but can't get SMTP Mail In

Post by Jason Chideste » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:14:41

I have my exchange server setup to send out SMTP mail
fine.  The problem is that when I try to test by sending
email from the outside world, I get nothing.  I also don't
get any response saying that the email could not reach
it's destination.

I believe that I have my MX record setup correctly.  I've
also used various tools, such as Portqry, to test to see
if the SMTP port is listening, and I've found no
problems.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could
be, or of any way to try and trace route an email?

Jason

Can send SMTP out, but can't get SMTP Mail In

Post by Tom Meunie » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:25:32

There's actually not much to do, to set it up.  Make sure you have a
recipient policy for your domain.  Make sure port 25 is open on the
firewall.  Make sure your mx record is correct - the mx record for
domain.com points to your.mailservername.domain.com, and the A record for
your.mailserver.domain.com points to the public IP address of your
mailserver.  That's about it.

Now you can do a simple test:
telnet [mailservers.public.ip.address] 25
helo mydomain.com

data
[enter some random junk]
[terminate your conversation with a period by itself on a line]
.

That's it.  Notice where something breaks.  At that point, your smtp service
has accepted the message for routing into your mailbox.  As long as you

--

-tom

Quote:> I have my exchange server setup to send out SMTP mail