after SP3 rolup of log files increased 10 fold?

after SP3 rolup of log files increased 10 fold?

Post by LP » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:12:09

I Just updated my exchange 2000 box with win2k SP4 and exchange After SP3
rollup on Friday night.
This morning I've notice that I have 3GB (612 of 5mg files ) of  log files
since July 3d which is near the log drive capacity (3.3 for separate log
file partition)?
I only have 100 mailbox and usually have just a few log files a day? I am
forced to run a full exchange backup now.
Any clue why do I have so many log file now?
thank you,
LP

after SP3 rolup of log files increased 10 fold?

Post by Andy Web » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:41:32

Sounds like a mail loop of some sort.  Whether it is related to the patches
is unknown at this point.  You'll have to dig into it.

You do run regular full exchange backups anyways, right?

ERM (Exchange Resource Manager) Released
http://www.swinc.com/erm

Quote:> I Just updated my exchange 2000 box with win2k SP4 and exchange After SP3
> rollup on Friday night.
> This morning I've notice that I have 3GB (612 of 5mg files ) of  log files
> since July 3d which is near the log drive capacity (3.3 for separate log
> file partition)?
> I only have 100 mailbox and usually have just a few log files a day? I am
> forced to run a full exchange backup now.
> Any clue why do I have so many log file now?
> thank you,
> LP

after SP3 rolup of log files increased 10 fold?

Post by LP » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:51:33

Yes. Thanks for the prompt respond.

I do run backups. The changes I made on Friday were SP4, Compaq laterst
proliant Softpack, and I also upgraded Symantec AV For Exchange from 2.5 to
3 and AV for Windows 2000 corp with exclusing of log and temp files. I am
not sure how to find a mail loop? Thanks LP

> Sounds like a mail loop of some sort.  Whether it is related to the
patches
> is unknown at this point.  You'll have to dig into it.

> You do run regular full exchange backups anyways, right?

> --

> ERM (Exchange Resource Manager) Released
> http://www.swinc.com/erm

> > I Just updated my exchange 2000 box with win2k SP4 and exchange After
SP3
> > rollup on Friday night.
> > This morning I've notice that I have 3GB (612 of 5mg files ) of  log
files
> > since July 3d which is near the log drive capacity (3.3 for separate log
> > file partition)?
> > I only have 100 mailbox and usually have just a few log files a day? I
am
> > forced to run a full exchange backup now.
> > Any clue why do I have so many log file now?
> > thank you,
> > LP

after SP3 rolup of log files increased 10 fold?

Post by Andy Web » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:58:20

Look in your message tracking logs for clues.  Look in the queues for
another.

The Symantec AV upgrade would cause a complete rescan of the store. That
would cause a few logs to be generated (not likely 3GB though).

If you have SMTP VS logging turned on, look there as well.

You can also use PerfMon to look at activity on the server to see where
things might be awry.

ERM (Exchange Resource Manager) Released
http://www.swinc.com/erm

> Yes. Thanks for the prompt respond.

> I do run backups. The changes I made on Friday were SP4, Compaq laterst
> proliant Softpack, and I also upgraded Symantec AV For Exchange from 2.5
> 3 and AV for Windows 2000 corp with exclusing of log and temp files. I am
> not sure how to find a mail loop? Thanks LP

> > Sounds like a mail loop of some sort.  Whether it is related to the
> patches
> > is unknown at this point.  You'll have to dig into it.

> > You do run regular full exchange backups anyways, right?

> > --

> > ERM (Exchange Resource Manager) Released
> > http://www.swinc.com/erm

> > > I Just updated my exchange 2000 box with win2k SP4 and exchange After
> SP3
> > > rollup on Friday night.
> > > This morning I've notice that I have 3GB (612 of 5mg files ) of  log
> files
> > > since July 3d which is near the log drive capacity (3.3 for separate
log
> > > file partition)?
> > > I only have 100 mailbox and usually have just a few log files a day? I
> am
> > > forced to run a full exchange backup now.
> > > Any clue why do I have so many log file now?
> > > thank you,
> > > LP

after SP3 rolup of log files increased 10 fold?

Post by LP » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:19:40

Thanks,
I think I found it. Here is MS article  on Norton. I had excluded M drive
and all log and temp files, but might be missed something.

SYMPTOMS
You may notice an unusually large number of transaction log files being
created in the Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mdbdata folder. These files may be
created at approximately the same time on a nightly or weekly basis.

CAUSE
This issue can occur if you are scanning drive M with antivirus software.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, make sure that you do not scan drive M or the
Exchsrvr folders with antivirus software.

MORE INFORMATION
To properly protect your Exchange 2000 Server computer from viruses, you
must use antivirus software that is Exchange 2000-aware. If you also need
file-level protection on your server, you must make sure that you exclude
drive M and also all of the Exchsrvr folders. Please note that you may have
Exchsrvr folders on multiple drives.

> Look in your message tracking logs for clues.  Look in the queues for
> another.

> The Symantec AV upgrade would cause a complete rescan of the store. That
> would cause a few logs to be generated (not likely 3GB though).

> If you have SMTP VS logging turned on, look there as well.

> You can also use PerfMon to look at activity on the server to see where
> things might be awry.

> --

> ERM (Exchange Resource Manager) Released
> http://www.swinc.com/erm

> > Yes. Thanks for the prompt respond.

> > I do run backups. The changes I made on Friday were SP4, Compaq laterst
> > proliant Softpack, and I also upgraded Symantec AV For Exchange from 2.5
> > 3 and AV for Windows 2000 corp with exclusing of log and temp files. I
am
> > not sure how to find a mail loop? Thanks LP

> > > Sounds like a mail loop of some sort.  Whether it is related to the
> > patches
> > > is unknown at this point.  You'll have to dig into it.

> > > You do run regular full exchange backups anyways, right?

> > > --

> > > ========================================
> > > ERM (Exchange Resource Manager) Released
> > > http://www.swinc.com/erm
> > > ========================================

After
> > SP3
> > files
> log
> > am

1. after SP3 rolup of log files increased 10 fold?

I Just updated my exchange 2000 box with win2k SP4 and exchange After SP3
rollup on Friday night.
This morning I've notice that I have 3GB (612 of 5mg files ) of  log files
since July 3d which is near the log drive capacity (3.3 for separate log
file partition)?
I only have 100 mailbox and usually have just a few log files a day? I am
forced to run a full exchange backup now.
Any clue why do I have so many log file now?
thank you,
LP

2. Does LDAP support Microsoft Netmeeting?

3. log files add up to 10 gb in MDBDATA

4. How do you use contacts as addressbook?

5. Sudden Increase In Log Files

6. Access DB with Outlook

7. log files increasing when the internet connection is offline

8. SMTP filter question

9. Urgent! log file increase very soon in 5MB

10. Outlook 2000 client logs on 10 times

11. "Outlook 10 message manager (exchange setting) is a corrupt file

12. Updating Active Directory Schema - file 6 of 10...

13. Which fold/files contain the information store??