mentorship for the confused

Post by Bob Weine » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 07:00:03

Hi,

I just started reading about upgrading NT/Ex5.5 => Win2k/Ex2k.  The many
options available has my head spinning.  Although many similar questions
have been posted, I'd feel better if I could post my own questions.  (sorry
for the length)

* What I have *
Two NT4 account domains, one that contains the majority of our users and
another with just a few stragglers (those left behind) and a few resource
domains.  One Exch 5.5 server in the primary account domain.  File service
is provided via Samba from a NetApp.  I have about 750 windows machines on
the network and about 2300 active user accounts.  (I can solve the file
service issues if I can get a good MS upgrade strategy.)

* What I want *
One AD domain, OU structure yet to be determined, with all accounts.  One
Exch 2k mailbox server (with appropriate standby).  Public folder server to
be added as part of phase 2 (or 3 or 10).

* Upgrade goals *
 - Minimize impact on users,
 - Only short, scheduled disruption of file or email service,
 - Maintain operability of distribution lists,
 - Maintain user passwords

(should be simple, right?)

* Alternatives (from what I see) *
In Place:
 - upgrade primary account NT domain,
 - upgrade secondary account domain and ADMT users into the original AD,
 - ClonePrincipal resource domains into OUs, finally
 - upgrade Exchange

Parallel upgrade:
(sort of follow MS' 6-step scenario paper)
 - create new forest
 - either ClonePrincipal or ADC users into the new forest
 - setup Exch 2k and move mailboxes (en masse)

* Questions *
1. Does one of the above listed strategies seem appropriate?  Which will be
the least problematic?

2. There seems to be an endless list of utilities for both Win2k and Exch
2k.  Which ones are really important to learn (for the given answer to
question 1) before moving forward?

3. Will there be any issues for clients (mostly Win2k, some 98 & XP)
connecting to the domains after upgrading to 2k?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
bob

mentorship for the confused

Post by Don Tan [MSFT » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 05:33:32

Bob,

Here are my thoughts on this:

1. Does one of the above listed strategies seem appropriate?  Which will be
the least problematic?

<--- In-Place would be the best bet and would be the least problematic.
Using ADMT will preseve sids and would consolidate AD users into 1 domain
which is good. On the other hand for Exchange 2000 server it's best to use
the swing method. This will reduce downtime for your users in accessing
their mailbox because you're going to join an Exchange 2000 server on the
same org then move the mailboxes at a time. Although, this requires more
tasks because you will to remove the second Exchange 2000 server and may
see unforseen issues. Personally, I would choose the in-place upgrade
whitepaper for Exchange 2000 server.

2. There seems to be an endless list of utilities for both Win2k and Exch
2k.  Which ones are really important to learn (for the given answer to
question 1) before moving forward?

<--- ADMT. Nothing else. Actually you also need ADC to replicate Exchange
5.5 obects to Active Directory (After you upgrade the domains to Windows
2000)

3. Will there be any issues for clients (mostly Win2k, some 98 & XP)
connecting to the domains after upgrading to 2k?

<--- Don't think so. It depends what Outlook clients you're using if you're
using Outlook 2000 it will contact the GC and will return the correct
Exchange 2000 servername. Now the worse case scenario is that you may need
to create a new outlook profile for the clients to properly point to the
new Exchange 2000 server but really you don't need to do this.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Don Tan, MCSE/MCSA
Microsoft Online Support Professional

1. confused by ADO

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing?

My intention is to query an Exchange 5.5 server and return a disconnected
recordset.  The query works fine and the recordset is ok as long as the
connection is open.  I want to be close my connection with the server and
return the results.

thanks,
bob

------------
Private Function matches( _
                ByVal filter As String, _
                ByVal base As String, _
                Optional ByVal scope As Variant) As ADODB.Recordset

    Dim cn As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset
    Dim searchString As String
    Dim attr As String

    base = "<" & base & ">"
    attr = "ADsPath"
    scope = IIf(IsMissing(scope), "subtree", scope)

    searchString = base & ";" & _
                    filter & ";" & _
                    attr & ";" & _
                    scope

    cn.Provider = "ADsDSOOBJECT"
    cn.Open

    rs.CursorLocation = adUseClientBatch
    rs.Open searchString, cn
    Set matches = rs.Clone
    cn.Close

End Function

2. SMTP problem

3. Two non-trusted Exchange Servers, one confused client

4. Are there any known bugs or issues with SP4?

5. AD Groups confusing question

6. Public Free/Busy

7. Active Directory Connector--I'm confused.

8. Help !!!

9. Still confused

10. calendar views in meeting requests: (I'm confused)

11. CDO Public Folder Person and Contact - confused

12. what the dif between the ESM virtual http and IIS confused

13. Still Confused!