Ex2K Deployment

Post by Ian Murph » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 09:10:48

Hi all,

Sorry to make my first posting to this newsgroup such a stupid one but I'm
afraid I am a complete newbie when it comes to Exchange.

We have a 10 machine network, running with a Win2K Server as a DC.  This DC
serves our little domain entirely, there are no BDC's etc, no other servers,
just the DC and several workstations.

I read somewhere that Exchange shouldn't be installed on a DC, is this a
definite no-no or just a recommendation?

Thanks in advance for your help people.

Ian Murphy

Ex2K Deployment

Post by Tom Meunie » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:01:40

It's just a recommendation.  Although I would go grab a workstation and
configure it as your DC, DNS, and DHCP before I stuck that on my Exchange
box.

--

-tom

Quote:> Hi all,

> Sorry to make my first posting to this newsgroup such a stupid one but I'm
> afraid I am a complete newbie when it comes to Exchange.

> We have a 10 machine network, running with a Win2K Server as a DC.  This
DC
> serves our little domain entirely, there are no BDC's etc, no other
servers,
> just the DC and several workstations.

> I read somewhere that Exchange shouldn't be installed on a DC, is this a
> definite no-no or just a recommendation?

> Thanks in advance for your help people.

> Ian Murphy

Ex2K Deployment

Post by Ian Murph » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 18:06:00

Thanks Tom, I'll scrabble around and see what my tyrannical boss will
allocate me :)

Cheers
Ian

> It's just a recommendation.  Although I would go grab a workstation and
> configure it as your DC, DNS, and DHCP before I stuck that on my Exchange
> box.

> --

> -tom

> > Hi all,

> > Sorry to make my first posting to this newsgroup such a stupid one but
I'm
> > afraid I am a complete newbie when it comes to Exchange.

> > We have a 10 machine network, running with a Win2K Server as a DC.  This
> DC
> > serves our little domain entirely, there are no BDC's etc, no other
> servers,
> > just the DC and several workstations.

> > I read somewhere that Exchange shouldn't be installed on a DC, is this a
> > definite no-no or just a recommendation?

> > Thanks in advance for your help people.

> > Ian Murphy

Ex2K Deployment

Post by Tom Meunie » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 23:58:04

That's just my preference.  I'd certainly listen with great respect to an
argument that those services are too important to not have the
fault-tolerance a well-configured server would give you.  Then I'd say
"okay, then gimme two workstations or an old dual pII-400 server offa ebay."

--

-tom

> Thanks Tom, I'll scrabble around and see what my tyrannical boss will
> allocate me :)

> Cheers
> Ian

> > It's just a recommendation.  Although I would go grab a workstation and
> > configure it as your DC, DNS, and DHCP before I stuck that on my
Exchange
> > box.

> > --

> > -tom

> > > Hi all,

> > > Sorry to make my first posting to this newsgroup such a stupid one but
> I'm
> > > afraid I am a complete newbie when it comes to Exchange.

> > > We have a 10 machine network, running with a Win2K Server as a DC.
This
> > DC
> > > serves our little domain entirely, there are no BDC's etc, no other
> > servers,
> > > just the DC and several workstations.

> > > I read somewhere that Exchange shouldn't be installed on a DC, is this
> > > definite no-no or just a recommendation?

> > > Thanks in advance for your help people.

> > > Ian Murphy

Ex2K Deployment

Post by Ian Murph » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 00:22:08

Okay Tom, I'll give it a go heh heh

Cheers mate
Ian

> That's just my preference.  I'd certainly listen with great respect to an
> argument that those services are too important to not have the
> fault-tolerance a well-configured server would give you.  Then I'd say
> "okay, then gimme two workstations or an old dual pII-400 server offa
ebay."

> --

> -tom

> > Thanks Tom, I'll scrabble around and see what my tyrannical boss will
> > allocate me :)

> > Cheers
> > Ian

> > > It's just a recommendation.  Although I would go grab a workstation
and
> > > configure it as your DC, DNS, and DHCP before I stuck that on my
> Exchange
> > > box.

> > > --

> > > -tom

> > I'm

> This
> > > DC
> > > servers,

Ex2K Deployment

Post by Maxim Kapteijn » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 04:30:20

If you have only 10 machines, just combine them. It will work as expected.
Be aware that if you loose your only DC and your tape, you cannot recreate
your domain... So for fault tolerance I would add another machine as DC.

HTH

Maxim

Quote:> Hi all,

> Sorry to make my first posting to this newsgroup such a stupid one but I'm
> afraid I am a complete newbie when it comes to Exchange.

> We have a 10 machine network, running with a Win2K Server as a DC.  This
DC
> serves our little domain entirely, there are no BDC's etc, no other
servers,
> just the DC and several workstations.

> I read somewhere that Exchange shouldn't be installed on a DC, is this a
> definite no-no or just a recommendation?

> Thanks in advance for your help people.

> Ian Murphy

Ex2K Deployment

Post by Ian Murph » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 18:12:57

Okay, thanks Maxim

Cheers
Ian Murphy

PS, what does HTH mean? (Sorry, I'm a complete newbie to newsgroups)