OE to read Newsfeed

Post by Wesley Peace [MVP » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Yes, point the newsreader at the newsfeed and it will work.

Wesley Peace
Microsoft BackOffice/Exchange MVP

    Any way to get OE to read the Exchange Newsfeed folders?

    TIA

    Steve

OE to read Newsfeed

Post by Steven Bergesc » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

"Point at"?  As in set up an account on the server?  I've tried various combinations of connecting the server as an account but the closes I've got is an actual connection that results with an error in the Event log of trying to logon but "no such mailbox".

Thanks
Steve

  Yes, point the newsreader at the newsfeed and it will work.

  Wesley Peace
  Microsoft BackOffice/Exchange MVP

    Any way to get OE to read the Exchange Newsfeed folders?

    TIA

    Steve

OE to read Newsfeed

Post by Wesley Peace [MVP » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Lets regroup and look at this as if it were an actual NNTP Server (which it is).

First thing required are actual newsgroups to connect to. Which means you would have to had to establish "Publish" them prior to attempting to connect.

How do you do that? From the Exchange Administrator select Tools " and then "Newsgroup Hierarchy"  Once you are presented with that blank screen click on the add button and add select the Public Folder you want to Publish to the Internet. When you complete this portion of the task you may need to wait a period of time until Exchange updates all of its tables.

The next step is done on your newsreader. Create a new "news" account and specify your Exchange Server as the News Server. Don't worry about newsgroups since you will get those the first time you connect.

Save your configuration, and if you're using Outlook Express you will then be prompted to download your newsgroups. If you've configured this correctly when you select "ok" it will connect to the server and attempt to get a listing of all newsgroups you have published. Subscribe to the ones you want and you're done.

-----------------------------
Wesley H. Peace

Microsoft BackOffice/Exchange MVP

The fly that does not want to be swatted is safest if it sits on the
fly-swat. -G.C. Lichtenberg

    "Point at"?  As in set up an account on the server?  I've tried various combinations of connecting the server as an account but the closes I've got is an actual connection that results with an error in the Event log of trying to logon but "no such mailbox".

    Thanks
    Steve

OE to read Newsfeed

Post by Steven Bergesc » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Thank you for your time!  I'll work on it tonight.
Steve

[...]

Post by Steven Bergesc » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Ok, I can get connected and read the C:\inetpub\nntpfile\root\control folder but have not yet figured out how to get the news folders (groups) from Exchange servers Public Folders to that folder (or any other folder Express can read).  I suspect they have to be "published" some how.

Perhaps my desired end results will help:  I want Exchange NNTP to pull the newsgroups down at night and make them available for my laptop "offline" and a way from the server.

TIA (again)
Steve