class does TOO support ole automation

Post by Gary Bortosk » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I am getting the message "class doesn't support ole automation" with

Dim s as Object
Set s = CreateObject("MAPI.Session")  '<--- here

that would be a helpful message if it were true.  MAPI.Session does support
ole automation and it did so fine before i installed office 97.  i may have
given a stupid answer to one of the setup questions about removing windows
messaging services and run regclean and lost the pertinent undo.reg but
i've since uninstalled office 97 and reinstalled exchange and my program
still gives "class doesn't support ole automation".

i don't think this is an exchange problem per se.   i am running with
office 97 uninstalled to simplify the problem but i bet i would get the
same error with "Excel.Application" or other classes too.  in fact the
whole thing started with Outlook.Namespace giving me "OLE Automation
Error."  sheesh i am screwed up.

can anyone advise me?  by e-mail?  please?

class does TOO support ole automation

Post by Robert Scarboroug » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am getting the message "class doesn't support ole automation" with

> Dim s as Object
> Set s = CreateObject("MAPI.Session")  '<--- here

> that would be a helpful message if it were true.  MAPI.Session does
support
> ole automation and it did so fine before i installed office 97.  i may
have
> given a stupid answer to one of the setup questions about removing
windows
> messaging services and run regclean and lost the pertinent undo.reg but
> i've since uninstalled office 97 and reinstalled exchange and my program
> still gives "class doesn't support ole automation".

I'm getting the same problem.  Programs which used to work now get an error
430 on the "CreateObject" statement.  Interestingly, if the class I'm
trying to create an instance of supports "auto-instantiation" through the
"New" keyword then it works OK. In other words the following works:

Dim obj as MyObject.Class1
Set obj = New MyObject.Class1

While either of the following gets an error 430 on the CreateObject
statement:

Dim obj as MyObject.Class1
Set obj = CreateObject("MyObject.Class1")

or

Dim obj as Object
Set obj = CreateObject("MyObject.Class1")

I suspect that something is wrong with my Win95 system since these programs
used to work.  In my case though I haven't installed Office 97.

class does TOO support ole automation

Post by Randy Byrne [MVP » Sun, 16 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Which version of OLE Messaging are you using? 1.0a or 1.1 (which ships with
Exchange 5.0)? Look at Tools | References and check the file name. If it is
mdsip.tlb or mdisp32.tlb, you are using 1.0a. If you see olemsg32.dll, then
you are using 1.1. I've had problems instancing a session object with 1.1.
--
Regards,
Randy Byrne, Outlook 97 MVP