Migrating 5.5 to 2000

Post by Uju Siva » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 01:19:07

We are in the process of migrating 5.5 to 2000.

I'm thinking of following process.

this is just outlined process, of course there will be lot of difficulties,
but I'm just checking if this is what I need to do (just as outline).

Please help me out...with few bullets or just in_case indeas ??

1. Install win2k in seperate box
2. Promote to Active Directory integrated DNS.
3. Establish the trust between NT 4.0 and 2000
4. Install Exchnage 2000 in seperate box
5. Join this exchange to 5.5 while installing.
6. Install Site Replicating Service and Active Directory Connector if there
is only one Exchange 5.5 is there.
7. Move the mailbox on the fly or use exmerge to move and restore mailbox.
8.Replicate the public folders.

Migrating 5.5 to 2000

Post by Baris Eri » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:46:24

Here is a quick list:

- Plan your AD
- Implement your Windows 2000 based domain controller by either doing
in-place upgrade of your NT4 PDC or a brand-new domain. Inplace upgrade
recommended
- Go native on AD domain.
- Implement 2-way ADC recipient CA between E55 and AD
- Do E2k forestprep
- Do E2k domainprep
- Install Exchange 2000 by joining into existing E55 org
- Move users, PFs, connectors
- Decommission E55 servers
- Go native on E2k org.

This is user-transparent way..

HTH,

Baris.

--
Visit these sites to automatically update your system:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and http://office.microsoft.com

Quote:> We are in the process of migrating 5.5 to 2000.

> I'm thinking of following process.

> this is just outlined process, of course there will be lot of
difficulties,
> but I'm just checking if this is what I need to do (just as outline).

> Please help me out...with few bullets or just in_case indeas ??

> 1. Install win2k in seperate box
> 2. Promote to Active Directory integrated DNS.
> 3. Establish the trust between NT 4.0 and 2000
> 4. Install Exchnage 2000 in seperate box
> 5. Join this exchange to 5.5 while installing.
> 6. Install Site Replicating Service and Active Directory Connector if
there
> is only one Exchange 5.5 is there.
> 7. Move the mailbox on the fly or use exmerge to move and restore mailbox.
> 8.Replicate the public folders.

1. Migrating 5.5 to 2000 -- Method Recommendation

We have a 1500 users on a 4.0 network using E5.5.  I have two projects to
complete.

Project A -- move all user accounts over to W2K AD domain
Project B -- migrate from E5.5 to EW2K

Project A is a major undertaking (where user accounts will be located in AD,
server consolidations, politics, etc.).  My question is can I just do the
Exchange migration now and then layer on moving the user accounts?

If yes, what is the best approach (I've been doing some reading but I like
some advice from the real world).  I was planning to create a new EW2K
server in a new site in the AD domain.  Migrate my 4.0 users mailboxes over
while keeping their user accounts on the 4.0 side.  Then set up the AD
connector between the new and the old Exchange sites.  Later I would migrate
the user accounts over.  Once concern I have with this approach is when I
move the 4.0 user accounts over to AD later will their accounts
automatically tie-in to the appropriate EW2K mailbox?

Any advice would me greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Steve Gilbert
Foodlion

tel: 704-633-8250 ext.3480

2. Multiple Organization Hosting

3. Migrate 5.5 to 2000

4. Site connectors

5. Migrating 5.5 to 2000

6. Trusting Domain and Exchange

7. Help Migrating 5.5 to 2000 without consolidation

8. I can do everything with Exchange except receiving mail :-( Please Help!

9. Exmerge migrate 5.5 to 2000

10. Migrate 5.5 to 2000

11. OWA Problem after migrating 5.5 to 2000

12. Migrating Exch 5.5 NT4.0 to Exch 2000/Win 2000

13. Migrating from Win NT 4.0 Exch Srv 5.5 to Win 2000 Exch 2000 Srv