Various NNTP Problems

Post by Meron Lavi » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 00:57:28

I have E2K installed on my W2K Server.

I have the following problems:

1) If I define a newsgroup in E2K, then in OutlookExpress it doesn't show up
in the "new newsgroups" list. I have to press the "reset list" button.
2) If I post an article in the newsgroup via Outlook2000 Public Folders,
then the article is not visible in OutlookExpress

And most annoying:
3) I defined a newgroup feed from my favorite neighborhood ISP. My System
log shows multiple entries gleefully announcing that a news feed has been
defined and has had its properties set, however, the feed does not get
executed, and there is no entry in the log indicating that the feed was ever
attempted. Unlike others in various groups who complained that they got
error messages (due to the failure of the NEWSNEWS command), I don't see any
evidence of any sort indicating an attempt to do the downfeed.

Any ideas?

--
Meron Lavie
www.redmatch.com - World's Largest Hi-Tech Salary Site

NOTE: THERE ARE NO DIGITS IN MY REAL EMAIL ADDRESS (ANTI-SPAM)

Various NNTP Problems

Post by P.C » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 01:19:04

Regarding your news groups, try this,  stop your news server and do a
rebuild.  Start it back up and go into outlook express and into the
newsgroups and see if you can see the groups in there.  Might have to reset
list!

As far as your feed problem,  first let me ask if your ISP is allowing you
to pull from it?  I've tried to setup feeds myself in my area and no server
that I have found yet will allow me to pull from it. I look in the log files
and it says ACCESS DENIED.    I did see a site where you can PAY$$ to pull
from servers but they are way too pricey!!  Most of them now days do not
allow you to pull because of bandwidth reasons.

> I have E2K installed on my W2K Server.

> I have the following problems:

> 1) If I define a newsgroup in E2K, then in OutlookExpress it doesn't show
up
> in the "new newsgroups" list. I have to press the "reset list" button.
> 2) If I post an article in the newsgroup via Outlook2000 Public Folders,
> then the article is not visible in OutlookExpress

> And most annoying:
> 3) I defined a newgroup feed from my favorite neighborhood ISP. My System
> log shows multiple entries gleefully announcing that a news feed has been
> defined and has had its properties set, however, the feed does not get
> executed, and there is no entry in the log indicating that the feed was
ever
> attempted. Unlike others in various groups who complained that they got
> error messages (due to the failure of the NEWSNEWS command), I don't see
any
> evidence of any sort indicating an attempt to do the downfeed.

> Any ideas?

> --
> Meron Lavie
> www.redmatch.com - World's Largest Hi-Tech Salary Site

> NOTE: THERE ARE NO DIGITS IN MY REAL EMAIL ADDRESS (ANTI-SPAM)

Various NNTP Problems

Post by Meron Lavi » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 02:03:47

Thanks. I just realized my mistake. I assumed that such a connection should
be Master/Slave, when it in fact should be a peer/pull definition.

Now I am proud to report that I get the "feed failed" log entry, just like
everyone else! :)

--
Meron Lavie
www.redmatch.com - World's Largest Hi-Tech Salary Site

NOTE: THERE ARE NO DIGITS IN MY REAL EMAIL ADDRESS (ANTI-SPAM)

> Regarding your news groups, try this,  stop your news server and do a
> rebuild.  Start it back up and go into outlook express and into the
> newsgroups and see if you can see the groups in there.  Might have to
reset
> list!

> As far as your feed problem,  first let me ask if your ISP is allowing you
> to pull from it?  I've tried to setup feeds myself in my area and no
server
> that I have found yet will allow me to pull from it. I look in the log
files
> and it says ACCESS DENIED.    I did see a site where you can PAY$$ to pull
> from servers but they are way too pricey!!  Most of them now days do not
> allow you to pull because of bandwidth reasons.

> > I have E2K installed on my W2K Server.

> > I have the following problems:

> > 1) If I define a newsgroup in E2K, then in OutlookExpress it doesn't
show
> up
> > in the "new newsgroups" list. I have to press the "reset list" button.
> > 2) If I post an article in the newsgroup via Outlook2000 Public Folders,
> > then the article is not visible in OutlookExpress

> > And most annoying:
> > 3) I defined a newgroup feed from my favorite neighborhood ISP. My
System
> > log shows multiple entries gleefully announcing that a news feed has
been
> > defined and has had its properties set, however, the feed does not get
> > executed, and there is no entry in the log indicating that the feed was
> ever
> > attempted. Unlike others in various groups who complained that they got
> > error messages (due to the failure of the NEWSNEWS command), I don't see
> any
> > evidence of any sort indicating an attempt to do the downfeed.

> > Any ideas?

> > --
> > Meron Lavie
> > www.redmatch.com - World's Largest Hi-Tech Salary Site

> > NOTE: THERE ARE NO DIGITS IN MY REAL EMAIL ADDRESS (ANTI-SPAM)

Various NNTP Problems

Post by P.C » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 08:28:02

Yea and it SUCKS!

> Thanks. I just realized my mistake. I assumed that such a connection
should
> be Master/Slave, when it in fact should be a peer/pull definition.

> Now I am proud to report that I get the "feed failed" log entry, just like
> everyone else! :)

> --
> Meron Lavie
> www.redmatch.com - World's Largest Hi-Tech Salary Site

> NOTE: THERE ARE NO DIGITS IN MY REAL EMAIL ADDRESS (ANTI-SPAM)

> > Regarding your news groups, try this,  stop your news server and do a
> > rebuild.  Start it back up and go into outlook express and into the
> > newsgroups and see if you can see the groups in there.  Might have to
> reset
> > list!

> > As far as your feed problem,  first let me ask if your ISP is allowing
you
> > to pull from it?  I've tried to setup feeds myself in my area and no
> server
> > that I have found yet will allow me to pull from it. I look in the log
> files
> > and it says ACCESS DENIED.    I did see a site where you can PAY$$ to
pull
> > from servers but they are way too pricey!!  Most of them now days do not
> > allow you to pull because of bandwidth reasons.

> > > I have E2K installed on my W2K Server.

> > > I have the following problems:

> > > 1) If I define a newsgroup in E2K, then in OutlookExpress it doesn't
> show
> > up
> > > in the "new newsgroups" list. I have to press the "reset list" button.
> > > 2) If I post an article in the newsgroup via Outlook2000 Public
Folders,
> > > then the article is not visible in OutlookExpress

> > > And most annoying:
> > > 3) I defined a newgroup feed from my favorite neighborhood ISP. My
> System
> > > log shows multiple entries gleefully announcing that a news feed has
> been
> > > defined and has had its properties set, however, the feed does not get
> > > executed, and there is no entry in the log indicating that the feed
was
> > ever
> > > attempted. Unlike others in various groups who complained that they
got
> > > error messages (due to the failure of the NEWSNEWS command), I don't
see
> > any
> > > evidence of any sort indicating an attempt to do the downfeed.

> > > Any ideas?

> > > --
> > > Meron Lavie
> > > www.redmatch.com - World's Largest Hi-Tech Salary Site

> > > NOTE: THERE ARE NO DIGITS IN MY REAL EMAIL ADDRESS (ANTI-SPAM)

Various NNTP Problems

Post by Dave Lewi » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 08:27:03

I am having similar problems - but what log file are you looking at to see
whether it failed?

Dave

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP-Exchange » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 09:12:57

> Most if not all ISP's today run newsservers with the xover command.  When
is
> MS going to catch up and enable this on Exchange2000???

Actually NNTP is part of Windows 2000 and already supports xover. Just try
to open a telnet session on port 119 to a Win2k/Exch2k machine and type
help.

--
Siegfried Weber

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) - Exchange Server
Co-author of "Professional CDO Programming", Wrox Press 1999

CDOLive - The Premier Resource for Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration
Application Development
http://www.cdolive.com

Please reply to the newsgroups so that others can benefit from the
discussion.
Questions by e-mail are discarded without further notice - filter active.

> [...]

> > > log shows multiple entries gleefully announcing that a news feed has
> been
> > > defined and has had its properties set, however, the feed does not get
> > > executed, and there is no entry in the log indicating that the feed
was
> > ever
> > > attempted. Unlike others in various groups who complained that they
got
> > > error messages (due to the failure of the NEWSNEWS command), I don't
see
> > any
> > > evidence of any sort indicating an attempt to do the downfeed.

> > > Any ideas?

> > > --
> > > Meron Lavie
> > > www.redmatch.com - World's Largest Hi-Tech Salary Site

> > > NOTE: THERE ARE NO DIGITS IN MY REAL EMAIL ADDRESS (ANTI-SPAM)

Post by Dave Arkle » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:32:20

But the point is it still uses NEWSNEWS to talk to other servers. Unless you
know a way around that?

> > Most if not all ISP's today run newsservers with the xover command.
When
> is
> > MS going to catch up and enable this on Exchange2000???

> Actually NNTP is part of Windows 2000 and already supports xover. Just try
> to open a telnet session on port 119 to a Win2k/Exch2k machine and type
> help.

> --
> Siegfried Weber

> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) - Exchange Server
> Co-author of "Professional CDO Programming", Wrox Press 1999

> CDOLive - The Premier Resource for Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration
> Application Development
> http://www.cdolive.com

> Please reply to the newsgroups so that others can benefit from the
> discussion.
> Questions by e-mail are discarded without further notice - filter active.

1. Various NNTP Problems

[...]

2. pop3 connector

3. rules

4. WANTED: external OWA implementation experiences

5. One Message Two Recipients?

6. ~~~~~Newbie Problem -- One scenario various problems~~~~~~~

7. Exchange Server NNTP Problem - Event ID 13055 - 441 Can′t set system NNTP-Posting-Header

8. Exchange and Backoffice SBS - Various errors and problems cropping up

9. Various Problems and Error with POP3 service on ES 5.0