Still Confused!

Post by MV » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 04:37:24

>Can anyone please explain exchange recovery options?

>I have 2 exchange servers in 1 site: Mail1 and Mail2

>I ONLY have 1 other server to use in case mail1 or mail2
>crash. I am currently doing a test recovery as if mail2
>crashed completely.

>I installed the test server as mail1 in a workgroup. I
>will then unplug the real mail1 and join the test mail1to
>the domain.

>Before I do this do I

>1. Install windows 2000 with all service packs like the
>real one.
>2. Install exchange server 2000 Enterprise like the real
>one?
>3. Dismount the databases.
>4. Restore the priv1.edb pub1.edb and stem files?

>Mount the stores and it will work?

1. Yes
1a, restore the system state
2. Yes, using the /disasterrecovery switch
3. Ceases to apply
4. Restore Exchange using the Exchange backup, not restoration of a
flat files set.
"Exchange 2000 Server Disaster Recovery: Worst-Case Survival Handbook"
Is a good article to kick off with.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...

Note, Any TechNet based reply posted with a "Q" prefix can be
found on the online knowledge base, omitting the "Q"

Before U post...
http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm

Still Confused!

Post by larr » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 05:29:10

Thanks Mark..

I still dont think this will work for me....

My original mail1 server is still online and working good.
My new test mail1 server has the operating system
installed and is ready for exchange installation. It is a
brand new install.

1. Do I have to take my working exchange server offline
to install exchangee 2000 in /disasterrecovery mode? on
my test server?

2. My test server is a workgroup right now. Cant I just
install exchange 2000 and dismount databases and re-mount
the backup of databases from the working mail1 server?

3. My idea here is that yes we have a completely working
exchange envirement, but I want to similate worst case
disaster. One of the mail servers gets blown up and we
have to use a completely different hardware platform to
restore. System state ONLY works with the same hardware
or you get a BUNCH of errors. So I have built a BRAND new
server and am ready to put exchange on it.

4.  How Can I test this with MINIMAL downtime of the
original mail1 server? If I take it down while installing
exchange it will be down for aprox 2 hours. Thats not
good.

5.  How can I create this standby server that all I have
to do in an emergency is pull it off the shelf...(Or From
our secured warehouse) and restore the original exchange
databases?

6. How do we test this every 3 months without interupting
the current envirement?

7. I read about creating a whole new forest but wat does
that do? Dont I have to then create thousands of user
accounts in that forest??

Thanks

url=/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/exchange2000/proddocs/on
linebooks/disrec/default.asp