AD Contacts vs. Exchange Public Folder of Contacts

AD Contacts vs. Exchange Public Folder of Contacts

Post by Eric Bar » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 07:30:07

I am hoping to find a source of information on the difference between AD
Contacts and a public folder in exchange that is setup to store contacts.

I have found very little information in the Win2K resource Kit, Exchange
Administrators Companion, Exhcange Help, etc .....

It sure seems to me that storing contacts in AD is the way exchange is going
to go in the future, but for now I'm not so sure which to roll out.

It would be nice to have that common corporate information store (read using
AD contacts).  I have found that  names / emails of AD contacts will resolve
in the GAL, but I have not found a way for users to look at the AD contacts
the way they can look at contacts in public folders.  On the other side, it
is nice for users to be able to use the "find people" off the serch command
on their start menu and find the AD contacts.

I'm feeling a bit frustrated at the lack of information I have been able to
find on this subject. Can anyone provide some insight, or point me to a
resource.  I'm more than happy to do the reading ...I just can't find
anything to read.

Thanx in advance for any help.

-eric

AD Contacts vs. Exchange Public Folder of Contacts

Post by Amiri Jone » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 01:25:03

Quote:> I am hoping to find a source of information on the difference between AD
> Contacts and a public folder in exchange that is setup to store contacts.

> I have found very little information in the Win2K resource Kit, Exchange
> Administrators Companion, Exhcange Help, etc .....

> It sure seems to me that storing contacts in AD is the way exchange is
going
> to go in the future, but for now I'm not so sure which to roll out.

> It would be nice to have that common corporate information store (read
using
> AD contacts).  I have found that  names / emails of AD contacts will
resolve
> in the GAL, but I have not found a way for users to look at the AD
contacts
> the way they can look at contacts in public folders.  On the other side,
it
> is nice for users to be able to use the "find people" off the serch
command
> on their start menu and find the AD contacts.

    Well, I would say the main advantage of using Contacts folders is that
users can modify/add entries; AFAIK, you can't do that with AD contacts.
Furthermore, with a public folder, you can make the folder available offline
when using an OST.  Again, I don't think that's possible with AD contacts.
However, AD contacts do have the advantage of being searchable through the
"Find People" menu option, as you mentioned.  Which one to use?  If you need
the ability to have users modify entries, I would suggest Contacts folders,
otherwise use AD contacts.

AD Contacts vs. Exchange Public Folder of Contacts

Post by Debbie Marti » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 01:39:43

If in Exchange 2K:

We are dealing with the same questions.  For now, I have implemented a
solution with ASP and default forms registrations which will allow users to
add contacts.  You just have to be sure to give the users rights to do so.
This solution seems to be somewhat labor-intensive, however, the global
searchability will likely be of sufficient benefit to make it worthwhile.

> > I am hoping to find a source of information on the difference between AD
> > Contacts and a public folder in exchange that is setup to store
contacts.

> > I have found very little information in the Win2K resource Kit, Exchange
> > Administrators Companion, Exhcange Help, etc .....

> > It sure seems to me that storing contacts in AD is the way exchange is
> going
> > to go in the future, but for now I'm not so sure which to roll out.

> > It would be nice to have that common corporate information store (read
> using
> > AD contacts).  I have found that  names / emails of AD contacts will
> resolve
> > in the GAL, but I have not found a way for users to look at the AD
> contacts
> > the way they can look at contacts in public folders.  On the other side,
> it
> > is nice for users to be able to use the "find people" off the serch
> command
> > on their start menu and find the AD contacts.

>     Well, I would say the main advantage of using Contacts folders is that
> users can modify/add entries; AFAIK, you can't do that with AD contacts.
> Furthermore, with a public folder, you can make the folder available
offline
> when using an OST.  Again, I don't think that's possible with AD contacts.
> However, AD contacts do have the advantage of being searchable through the
> "Find People" menu option, as you mentioned.  Which one to use?  If you
need
> the ability to have users modify entries, I would suggest Contacts
folders,
> otherwise use AD contacts.

AD Contacts vs. Exchange Public Folder of Contacts

Post by Eric Bar » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 03:28:51

I guess I'm just having a hard time with this.   It sure feels like this is
an area that was not terribly thought out ...here's to .NET ..... so If I
store contacts in AD, my *sort-of* global information store, then I have
these contacts that are available in users Global Address list and through
LDAP queries etc .... However through Outlook users can not edit / view
these contacts, except by trudging through the Address book in outlook
...not very intuitive.  Or, I can use a public folder that hold contacts.
So, my users will be able to see/edit the contacts like they are used to,
but inorder to get the list to auto check names for people, each desktop has
to change their adress book settings to include these folders ...ugh ... and
not to mention the contacts aren't stored in AD.

Now whats the point of having a global information store if it doesn't store
all your global informaiton ?  I guess I would just like to see some
discussion of this topic in an article / white paper from MS so we can
understand the trade off's at hand including performancem, manageability,
accessability ,etc ...

Regards,
-eric

> If in Exchange 2K:

> We are dealing with the same questions.  For now, I have implemented a
> solution with ASP and default forms registrations which will allow users
> add contacts.  You just have to be sure to give the users rights to do so.
> This solution seems to be somewhat labor-intensive, however, the global
> searchability will likely be of sufficient benefit to make it worthwhile.

> > > I am hoping to find a source of information on the difference between
AD
> > > Contacts and a public folder in exchange that is setup to store
> contacts.

> > > I have found very little information in the Win2K resource Kit,
Exchange
> > > Administrators Companion, Exhcange Help, etc .....

> > > It sure seems to me that storing contacts in AD is the way exchange is
> > going
> > > to go in the future, but for now I'm not so sure which to roll out.

> > > It would be nice to have that common corporate information store (read
> > using
> > > AD contacts).  I have found that  names / emails of AD contacts will
> > resolve
> > > in the GAL, but I have not found a way for users to look at the AD
> > contacts
> > > the way they can look at contacts in public folders.  On the other
side,
> > it
> > > is nice for users to be able to use the "find people" off the serch
> > command
> > > on their start menu and find the AD contacts.

> >     Well, I would say the main advantage of using Contacts folders is
that
> > users can modify/add entries; AFAIK, you can't do that with AD contacts.
> > Furthermore, with a public folder, you can make the folder available
> offline
> > when using an OST.  Again, I don't think that's possible with AD
contacts.
> > However, AD contacts do have the advantage of being searchable through
the
> > "Find People" menu option, as you mentioned.  Which one to use?  If you
> need
> > the ability to have users modify entries, I would suggest Contacts
> folders,
> > otherwise use AD contacts.

AD Contacts vs. Exchange Public Folder of Contacts

Post by Ed Woodric » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 06:00:50

Eric,

The issue that you mention isn't an Exchange 2000 or AD issue, it's been
around since Outlook surfaced..

You can have contacts in the directory or in the store. There are advantages
and disadvantages to each. Generically there really isn't a perfect
solution. It somewhat is an result of the Outlook product not being part of
the Exchange Team.

Ed Woodrick

> [...]

> > >     Well, I would say the main advantage of using Contacts folders is
> that
> > > users can modify/add entries; AFAIK, you can't do that with AD
contacts.
> > > Furthermore, with a public folder, you can make the folder available
> > offline
> > > when using an OST.  Again, I don't think that's possible with AD
> contacts.
> > > However, AD contacts do have the advantage of being searchable through
> the
> > > "Find People" menu option, as you mentioned.  Which one to use?  If
you
> > need
> > > the ability to have users modify entries, I would suggest Contacts
> > folders,
> > > otherwise use AD contacts.

AD Contacts vs. Exchange Public Folder of Contacts

Post by Charles Opperman » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 17:21:11

Quote:> You can have contacts in the directory or in the store. There are
advantages
> and disadvantages to each. Generically there really isn't a perfect
> solution. It somewhat is an result of the Outlook product not being part
of
> the Exchange Team.

I chalk it up to Outlook 2000 pre-dating Active Directory.  Outlook as a
MAPI client "knows" public folders, but only has limited support for
directories, i.e. LDAP based queries in address books.

AD Contacts vs. Exchange Public Folder of Contacts

Post by Eric Bar » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 07:51:11

I don't mean to go on and belabor the point, but someone else out their
might have similar questions.  I just came across what I see another
interesting inconsitancy.

When using OWA I can search and find information on contacts in AD.  However
it appears that OWA will not search contact information in the public
folders....arg!

-eric

Quote:> > You can have contacts in the directory or in the store. There are
> advantages
> > and disadvantages to each. Generically there really isn't a perfect
> > solution. It somewhat is an result of the Outlook product not being part
> of
> > the Exchange Team.

> I chalk it up to Outlook 2000 pre-dating Active Directory.  Outlook as a
> MAPI client "knows" public folders, but only has limited support for
> directories, i.e. LDAP based queries in address books.

1. AD Contacts vs. Exchange Public Folder

Does aqnyone have any information regarding application development using
contact records for application development. We are moving a contact
management application from SQL server based to an Exchange application. We
will keep some info in SQ Server but I was wondering if we should use
Exchange and AD and contact records which can like to SQL Server data or
just create a public folder based applicaiton which will hold contacts.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Sal

2. Multiple Hostings

3. Can Public contact folder be default contact folder??

4. Disclaimer Message

5. Syncronize PPC contacts with contacts in public Exchange folders

6. ADC problem

7. Global DL vs Public Contact and BCC vs DL Expansion

8. Disabling automatic pulling of email messages

9. local vs public contact folders

10. Export from AD to Public Folders contacts

11. bulk add contacts to AD from a public folder

12. Synchronizing Private contacts and Contacts in public Folder.

13. Create a new Contact with a custom form in a public contact folder