Exchange 2000 server mysteriously filling up hard drive

Exchange 2000 server mysteriously filling up hard drive

Post by scub » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 00:54:31

Yesterday... on Exchange server SP1 on Windows 2000 my
information store crashed..  I managed to go into services
and restart the store...  i came in this morning and c:
drive had dropped 1 gig in free space.  My information
stores are located on my E: drive and my transaction logs
are only about 48mb in size.  For the life of me i can't
figure out what would have consumed 1 gig.  I looked in
the mail queue and it is also empty.  It looked like from
the event viewer that it had done it's own recovery and
got everything back up and working.  I just need to find
out what that 1 gig of stuff is..

thanks in advance..!!

Exchange 2000 server mysteriously filling up hard drive

Post by Rob » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:02:34

Find a utility called treesize and run that.

Quote:> Yesterday... on Exchange server SP1 on Windows 2000 my
> information store crashed..  I managed to go into services
> and restart the store...  i came in this morning and c:
> drive had dropped 1 gig in free space.  My information
> stores are located on my E: drive and my transaction logs
> are only about 48mb in size.  For the life of me i can't
> figure out what would have consumed 1 gig.  I looked in
> the mail queue and it is also empty.  It looked like from
> the event viewer that it had done it's own recovery and
> got everything back up and working.  I just need to find
> out what that 1 gig of stuff is..

> thanks in advance..!!

Exchange 2000 server mysteriously filling up hard drive

Post by MVP » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 06:58:01

You need to schedule some downtime and run a eseutil /d (offline defrag and
compact) again the IS databases to recover the white space you have, this
space is due to the fact that when you re-started the store service, it
played all the log files into the database, further fragmenting it

Cheers
Nick

Quote:> Yesterday... on Exchange server SP1 on Windows 2000 my
> information store crashed..  I managed to go into services
> and restart the store...  i came in this morning and c:
> drive had dropped 1 gig in free space.  My information
> stores are located on my E: drive and my transaction logs
> are only about 48mb in size.  For the life of me i can't
> figure out what would have consumed 1 gig.  I looked in
> the mail queue and it is also empty.  It looked like from
> the event viewer that it had done it's own recovery and
> got everything back up and working.  I just need to find
> out what that 1 gig of stuff is..

> thanks in advance..!!

Exchange 2000 server mysteriously filling up hard drive

Post by Jody L. Whitloc » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:11:49

Go into System Properties and check your PageFile.  If that is what is
consuming the drive, go inot the Security Policies and have it delete the
pagefile, then reboot the server and keep an eye on that.  It might be
related to the store crashing.  If there is a problem with the DB's, it
might be causing that pagefile to grow.  I had a similar problem when my E2K
server's connection to AD got broken.  Startup time tripled, and logon time
took almost 20 minutes, then the service failed and my pagefile was about
3GB, which caused major issues with the OS.

HTH

Quote:> Yesterday... on Exchange server SP1 on Windows 2000 my
> information store crashed..  I managed to go into services
> and restart the store...  i came in this morning and c:
> drive had dropped 1 gig in free space.  My information
> stores are located on my E: drive and my transaction logs
> are only about 48mb in size.  For the life of me i can't
> figure out what would have consumed 1 gig.  I looked in
> the mail queue and it is also empty.  It looked like from
> the event viewer that it had done it's own recovery and
> got everything back up and working.  I just need to find
> out what that 1 gig of stuff is..

> thanks in advance..!!

1. PLEASE HELP !Exchange 2000 server is mysteriously filling up hard drive

Yesterday... on Exchange server SP1 on Windows 2000 my
information store crashed..  I managed to go into services
and restart the store...  i came in this morning and c:
drive had dropped 1 gig in free space.  My information
stores are located on my E: drive and my transaction logs
are only about 48mb in size.  For the life of me i can't
figure out what would have consumed 1 gig.  I looked in
the mail queue and it is also empty.  It looked like from
the event viewer that it had done it's own recovery and
got everything back up and working.  I just need to find
out what that 1 gig of stuff is..

thanks in advance..!!

2. THREE DOMAINS

3. Exchange 2000 Server mysteriously filling up hard drive...

4. MAPI logon problem with own ATL service

5. Exchange 2000 mysteriously filling up hard drive

6. Public Folders and Unread Messages

7. Exchange server 5.5 filling up hard drive

8. Posting to a Journal in a Public Folder

9. Log files mysteriously filling up my drive

10. Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

11. Exchange 2000 mysteriously filling hard drive... PLEASE HELP..

12. hard drive filling up