Global Catalog question

Post by John » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 01:42:18

The Layout:

My domain has 20+ remote sites. 2 DC/GC in the root
domain. T1 at every site.

Each site has a DC/Global Catalog. I have installed
Exchange 2000 in the root domain.

XP Clients in the remote sites ONLY are consistantly
seeing the requesting Info window from the DC at the root.
(Mail routing info...ldap queries etc. etc..)

Why isn't the remote site GC handling thier request?
I don't want the client to query the root DC.

Under DSAccess on the server...it is set to automatically
detect and it sees the 2 root DC/GC no problem.

Should I manually add each and every remote GC to the
DSaccess list on the exchange box?

The constant requesting window is annoying way too many
users. Getting ALOT of complaints.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks in advance

John

Global Catalog question

Post by Nino Bilic [MS » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 12:38:49

By default, the clients will use the GC that Exchange is using. Even though
you have the GC in the child, if Exchange is using the GC in the root - they
will use that GC, as that is the GC that was given to them by the Exchange
server.

Other than that - you will have to do this:

319206 OL2002: How to Specify the Closest or Specific Global Catalog Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319206

--
Sincerely,

Nino Bilic
MCSE+I, W2K MCSE, MCSA, A+
Microsoft Exchange Support

Find out about Strategic Technology Protection Program and get our Security
Toolkit! Go to http://www.microsoft.com/security .

Quote:> The Layout:

> My domain has 20+ remote sites. 2 DC/GC in the root
> domain. T1 at every site.

> Each site has a DC/Global Catalog. I have installed
> Exchange 2000 in the root domain.

> XP Clients in the remote sites ONLY are consistantly
> seeing the requesting Info window from the DC at the root.
> (Mail routing info...ldap queries etc. etc..)

> Why isn't the remote site GC handling thier request?
> I don't want the client to query the root DC.

> Under DSAccess on the server...it is set to automatically
> detect and it sees the 2 root DC/GC no problem.

> Should I manually add each and every remote GC to the
> DSaccess list on the exchange box?

> The constant requesting window is annoying way too many
> users. Getting ALOT of complaints.

> Is there a way to resolve this?

> Thanks in advance

> John

Global Catalog question

Post by John » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 11:09:11

Thanks for the responce.

I have 5,000 users. A registry change would be next to
impossible.

I am going to add a third GC at the root, as well as
increase the Ram on the current gc's to 1 gig from 1/2.

Any other suggestions?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>The Layout:

>My domain has 20+ remote sites. 2 DC/GC in the root
>domain. T1 at every site.

>Each site has a DC/Global Catalog. I have installed
>Exchange 2000 in the root domain.

>XP Clients in the remote sites ONLY are consistantly
>seeing the requesting Info window from the DC at the
root.
>(Mail routing info...ldap queries etc. etc..)

>Why isn't the remote site GC handling thier request?
>I don't want the client to query the root DC.

>Under DSAccess on the server...it is set to
automatically
>detect and it sees the 2 root DC/GC no problem.

>Should I manually add each and every remote GC to the
>DSaccess list on the exchange box?

>The constant requesting window is annoying way too many
>users. Getting ALOT of complaints.

>Is there a way to resolve this?

>Thanks in advance

>John
>.

Global Catalog question

Post by Nino Bilic [MS » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 15:09:19

Well - not really... :(

Give them their own Exchange server?

The thing is - even if you moved the server to the child domain, then your
root domain users would have this problem...

The registry change might not be so far off though. You might be able to
create the .reg file and make it a part of the user's logon script maybe?

--
Sincerely,

Nino Bilic
MCSE+I, W2K MCSE, MCSA, A+
Microsoft Exchange Support

Find out about Strategic Technology Protection Program and get our Security
Toolkit! Go to http://www.microsoft.com/security .

Quote:> Thanks for the responce.

> I have 5,000 users. A registry change would be next to
> impossible.

> I am going to add a third GC at the root, as well as
> increase the Ram on the current gc's to 1 gig from 1/2.

> Any other suggestions?

1. Question on Global Catalogs

When I reboot the Global Catalog DC, the Exhange Server went down as well.
Is it possible to acheive some sort of fault tolerance for Exchange by
making two DC's in the domain a Global Catalog, if so are there any issues
with making changes to AD?

tia

2. Multi-Domains using exchange 5.5

3. Global Catalog and Exchange question

4. Recipient Policies

5. Ldap validation in global catalog

6. Pullmail

7. Global Catalog Server

8. Multipy copies of usrmgr running as a process

9. Importance of Global Catalog for Exchange 2000 Server?

10. global catalog on exchange server

11. Best Practices for multiple global catalog servers in multiples sites

12. E2K and Global Catalogs

13. Global Catalog