How to block or log inbound mail with populated BCC field

How to block or log inbound mail with populated BCC field

Post by jeepinato » Sun, 12 May 2002 12:23:21

As most are aware, the BCC field is exploited to send
spam. Can someone offer direction (rather simple in
nature - I am no Exchange guru!) to block inbound mail
when the BCC field is used? Even if that is not possible,
please help me turn on, or find, the logs whereby I can
determine WHO was in the BCC field.
I can do this with packet sniffer, but this is very
laborious and time consuming.

I am possibly not wording this correctly. Some general
advice would be much appreciated!

Todd

How to block or log inbound mail with populated BCC field

Post by Yor Suiri » Tue, 14 May 2002 23:32:52

Ok, not sure about the BCC.
But, I know you can use the Message Tracking Center, under
Tools in the Exchange System manager to see what messages
have been sent where.

You can chaeck out these pages at MS for more info.

http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/en/55/help/default.asp?
url=/Exchange/en/55/help/documents/server/XMT04025.HTM

http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/en/55/help/default.asp?
url=/Exchange/en/55/help/documents/server/XMT04026.HTM

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>As most are aware, the BCC field is exploited to send
>spam. Can someone offer direction (rather simple in
>nature - I am no Exchange guru!) to block inbound mail
>when the BCC field is used? Even if that is not possible,
>please help me turn on, or find, the logs whereby I can
>determine WHO was in the BCC field.
>I can do this with packet sniffer, but this is very
>laborious and time consuming.

>I am possibly not wording this correctly. Some general
>advice would be much appreciated!

>Todd

>.

How to block or log inbound mail with populated BCC field

Post by jeepinato » Wed, 15 May 2002 14:27:38

Thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately, I cannot find the "tools" menu. I suppose
it would have helped had I noted that this is Exchange
2000 w/ SP2...

Thanks again,
Todd

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Ok, not sure about the BCC.
>But, I know you can use the Message Tracking Center,
under
>Tools in the Exchange System manager to see what messages
>have been sent where.

>You can chaeck out these pages at MS for more info.

>http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/en/55/help/default.asp?
>url=/Exchange/en/55/help/documents/server/XMT04025.HTM

>http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/en/55/help/default.asp?
>url=/Exchange/en/55/help/documents/server/XMT04026.HTM

1. BCC mail and inbound mail failure

Does anyone else have this problem:

All Internet mail received by our Exchange 5.5 that is addressed by the
sender using a BCC (blind carbon copy) is routed to the administrator as
inbound mail failure instead of the intended BCC recipient.  (See the
message below).

Anyone have a solution?

- Michael

The following recipients did not receive the attached mail. Reasons are
listed with each recipient:

        MSEXCH:IMS:SNP Technologies, Inc.:SNP_DOMAIN:COMM_SERVER 0
(000C05A6) Unknown Recipient

2. Exchange 5.5 eval -> full version

3. BCC mail and Inbound Mail Failure

4. Inbound Mail Not Delivered Sometimes

5. mail to custom recipients with the bcc field

6. How do you find Ex2K's product ID #?

7. Blocking of Clients form Sending Mails Using BCC

8. Item Type envelope stays closed after read

9. Blocking of Bcc Mails

10. from field auto populate

11. Populate Exchange Field

12. auto populate mailbox info fields?

13. showInAddressBook field not being populated