Relaying using Smarthosts from remote sites

Relaying using Smarthosts from remote sites

Post by Ken » Fri, 03 May 2002 18:50:08

Hi, I am slowly losing patience with this one - so
hopefully someonce can help!

I have one Exchange Org, three W2K SP2 and Exchange 2K SP2
servers.  Main site has Master server (server1) and both
remote servers (server2 and server3) are using server1 as
the smarthost.

This is where the simplicity ends.....

I can send internal and external email to all mailboxes on
server1 and mail can be sent from server1 - no problem.

I can send internal and external mail to server2 and
server3.  They receive it and can reply to external email
but cannot reply to intenal users!  I can generate a new
email and send it to an internet address.  I cannot
generate a new email and send it internally - I get 4.4.7
timeout errors.

I have set relaying option on server1 to the internal
network addresses of server2 and server3 and if I telnet
to server1 from server2 or server3, I can generate an
email manually and it is received by a mailbox on server1.

Any help that can be provided would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken.

Relaying using Smarthosts from remote sites

Post by GAry » Tue, 07 May 2002 07:23:32

Did you set up your virtual SMTP Protocol?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi, I am slowly losing patience with this one - so
>hopefully someonce can help!

>I have one Exchange Org, three W2K SP2 and Exchange 2K
SP2
>servers.  Main site has Master server (server1) and both
>remote servers (server2 and server3) are using server1
as
>the smarthost.

>This is where the simplicity ends.....

>I can send internal and external email to all mailboxes
on
>server1 and mail can be sent from server1 - no problem.

>I can send internal and external mail to server2 and
>server3.  They receive it and can reply to external
email
>but cannot reply to intenal users!  I can generate a new
>email and send it to an internet address.  I cannot
>generate a new email and send it internally - I get
4.4.7
>timeout errors.

>I have set relaying option on server1 to the internal
>network addresses of server2 and server3 and if I telnet
>to server1 from server2 or server3, I can generate an
>email manually and it is received by a mailbox on
server1.

>Any help that can be provided would be much appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Ken.
>.

1. Relay Error / smarthost?

I am having a problem getting mail through to my test domain. It says it's a
"relay error" When I try to send to the user account I created for testing,
I get an error back saying:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server. The
reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each
recipient was rejected.

(where 'domain' would be correct)

Any ideas? You know, now that I think of it, my isp said I need to point my
mail server to a server (something like a smarthost) on their network to
send, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks for any help!

Ryan

2. Outlook 97 8.03 or OL98?

3. Problems with relaying to another Exchange server from other domain with smarthosts

4. What should I do if I want to change the domain name of Exchange Server 2000

5. web access permission with Netscape

6. Relay Error / smarthost?

7. ESEUTIL - When and How

8. Problems with relaying to another Exchange server from other domain with smarthosts

9. Relay Error / smarthost?

10. installing exchange at remote site..as a site connected to main site

11. Catch-All does not work when using smarthosts (Exchange Server 2000)

12. Using Exchange Without A Smarthost