"Reply with"/Inbox Assistant doesn't send the reply

"Reply with"/Inbox Assistant doesn't send the reply

Post by J.B. Brya » Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Here's my scenario, made generic, of course.  What's wrong?

I am connected at work to a Microsoft Exchange Backoffice Server.  I use
Exchange exclusively for my e-mail.

My internal User Name is "jzb29."  This is used for internal mail.  I can
also be reached internally as "jbryant."  Through the Internet, people

I set up an Inbox Assistant rule, using the "Reply with" template.  It is
to send an automatic reply when it receives a message with "cookies" in
the subject field.  I created the template, and put "cookies" in the
subject field in the rule.

Here's what happens:

I send myself a messages with "cookies" as the subject.

request), but I get no autoreply.

* The same thing happens if I send it to "jbryant."

* HOWEVER, if I send it to "jzb29," it sends me the autoreply also!

* Furthermore, if I pull up my despised-but-sometimes useful UNIIX
box and send a command-line message from there to ANY of the
above for possibilities, I again get not autoreply.

Moreover, if ANYONE sends me a message, using ANY of the possible
addresses and from ANY type of mail program, they will NEVER get an
autoreply.  SUMMARY: The only way I can get an autoreply is to send
myself a message using the SMTP address "JZB29."

Any idea why this would be?  Actually, it is much more important than
"cookies."  I am trying to complete a project for my company that
requires this.  Please help.

And PLEASE, copy me personally on your reply because I don't get much
chance anymore to follow the newsgroups.

Sincerely,

J.B. Bryant

"Reply with"/Inbox Assistant doesn't send the reply

Post by MV » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

IMC has a setting that prevents it from sending automatic replies to the
Internet. The setting is on the IMC Internet MAil property page under
Interoperability (Disable Automatic Replies to the Internet) and is
selected by default. This setting prevents a user from creating a ping-pong
message, which is created by sending a user an automatic reply and having
him reply to that automatically. You can deselect this, but be aware that
you might run into some serious trouble. I tested taking this off and
deliberately creating a ping-pong situation between Exchange and another
mail system, and was rewarded by about 30 - 40 messages a minute, all
automatic replies.

Cheers,
Kimmo

> Here's my scenario, made generic, of course.  What's wrong?

> I am connected at work to a Microsoft Exchange Backoffice Server.  I use
> Exchange exclusively for my e-mail.

> My internal User Name is "jzb29."  This is used for internal mail.  I can
> also be reached internally as "jbryant."  Through the Internet, people

> I set up an Inbox Assistant rule, using the "Reply with" template.  It is
> to send an automatic reply when it receives a message with "cookies" in
> the subject field.  I created the template, and put "cookies" in the
> subject field in the rule.

> Here's what happens:

> I send myself a messages with "cookies" as the subject.

> request), but I get no autoreply.

> * The same thing happens if I send it to "jbryant."

> * HOWEVER, if I send it to "jzb29," it sends me the autoreply also!

> * Furthermore, if I pull up my despised-but-sometimes useful UNIIX
> box and send a command-line message from there to ANY of the
> above for possibilities, I again get not autoreply.

> Moreover, if ANYONE sends me a message, using ANY of the possible
> addresses and from ANY type of mail program, they will NEVER get an
> autoreply.  SUMMARY: The only way I can get an autoreply is to send
> myself a message using the SMTP address "JZB29."

> Any idea why this would be?  Actually, it is much more important than
> "cookies."  I am trying to complete a project for my company that
> requires this.  Please help.

> And PLEASE, copy me personally on your reply because I don't get much
> chance anymore to follow the newsgroups.

> Sincerely,

> J.B. Bryant

1. "Reply with"/Inbox Assistant doesn't send the reply

[...]

2. Receive mail with corrupt chatacter!

3. Event script book

4. Error promote second DC to our Netowork !! Top Urgent !! Help

5. Outlook 97/2000 hangs on boot

6. Inbox Assistant - Auto Reply (not replying to internet e-mails)

7. Out of Office Assistant doesn't reply

8. Public folder rule - Reply doesn't use Reply-to field

9. Exchange uses "From" address instead of "Reply To" address when auto-replying