E2K Active/Passive Backup Strategy?

Post by Jim Sheeh » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 02:47:02

In an E2K active/passive configuration, what is the recommended backup
strategy.  We are using W2K backup.  We are using one node as the
primary node and I have the backup configured to run every night.  The
questions is what do you need to run on the other node in terms of a
backup.  I realize its a passive relationship and the passive node
only assumes the resources in the event that machine1 fails, but what
happens to your backup strategy should machine2 own the resources but
is not configured for a backup?

E2K Active/Passive Backup Strategy?

Post by Clau » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 14:18:01

Do a SystemState backup.

Claus

Quote:> In an E2K active/passive configuration, what is the recommended backup
> strategy.  We are using W2K backup.  We are using one node as the
> primary node and I have the backup configured to run every night.  The
> questions is what do you need to run on the other node in terms of a
> backup.  I realize its a passive relationship and the passive node
> only assumes the resources in the event that machine1 fails, but what
> happens to your backup strategy should machine2 own the resources but
> is not configured for a backup?

1. E2K off-line defrag in cluster active/passive environnement

Hi all,
I want to schecule by a script my off-line defrag for my Exchange 2000
Enterprise edt SP2 cluster.
If you have documentations and links about this, I appreciate thanks.
My questions:
ESE util make a temporary file of the database to defrag it after and
replace the original!! Or any other system can do that?
I have a priv1.mdb 23Gb with a priv1.stm 6Gb and my free space on my
partition is 500Mb.
To execute my local off-line defrag it's dead ?? But via the lan ??
A local off-line defrag take 4gb per hour approx = 7 hours in my case...
A lan off-line defrag take 2gb per hour = 15 hours approx....
I have a gigabit lan but what is the risk of this manipulation if my lan
shutdown processing this defrag ??
Someone can help me with a good secure procedure to do this.

My other solution is to plug an IDE drive in my exchange node machine and
use it to store the temporary database to be defrag, what you think about
this ??

I'm novice in managing an exchange cluster and this database is in a
critical environnement.
Thanks for your help

regards
Jrome

--

2. Searching Contacts??

3. Active/Passive Cluster

4. Workflow Designer

5. SA will not start on active/passive cluster server

6. Default public folders server

7. Installing SP3 on an active/passive cluster

8. Native Mode for Exchange 2000

9. Active/Passive clustering

10. EX2000 Active/Passive 2 locations

11. SA will not start on active/passive cluster server

12. WorkFlow on Exchange Active/Passive MSCS Cluster