Recovering Database from Dead Server

Post by JT » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:42:06

Our Exchange 2000 server crashed and burned, so I
installed Exchange on another functioning server to get
everyone up and running.  The problem now is importing the
old database and mail to the new system.  This server has
a different name, and I assume the old database is
associated with the old server name.  I tried to rename
the new priv.edb and pub.edb to priv.old and pub.old, and
then copy the old priv.edb and pub.edb into the same
directory, but it did not like it.  Is there any method I
can use to recover the old information into the new
server?  Any and all help would be appreciated.

JT

Recovering Database from Dead Server

Post by Mark Fugat » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:58:34

Do you have a tape backup of the Information Store?

Here are some links you might want to look at, recovering an Exchange server
is not the simplest thing in the world.
http://www.msexchange.org/pages/articles.asp?art=315
http://www.msexchange.org/pages/articles.asp?art=316
http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/deployment/2000/E2Krecover...

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc

Quote:> Our Exchange 2000 server crashed and burned, so I
> installed Exchange on another functioning server to get
> everyone up and running.  The problem now is importing the
> old database and mail to the new system.  This server has
> a different name, and I assume the old database is
> associated with the old server name.  I tried to rename
> the new priv.edb and pub.edb to priv.old and pub.old, and
> then copy the old priv.edb and pub.edb into the same
> directory, but it did not like it.  Is there any method I
> can use to recover the old information into the new
> server?  Any and all help would be appreciated.

> JT

Recovering Database from Dead Server

Post by JT » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:50:34

Thanks for the response.  I have the actual folders which
contain the original information.  I pulled them off the
old server.  I think there may be a tape backup as well.

Microsoft Exchange

>--- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via
Email ---