Disabling a mailbox

Post by Danie » Thu, 02 May 2002 00:59:38

Hi,

I have a user who will be gone for 3 months.  I want to
disable the user's account as well as the Exchange 2000
mailbox.

If I just disable the account the mailbox is still valid
and user can still receive messages.

If I hide the user from the GAL, the DL membership still
exist and the user can still receive mail sent to lists
for  which he's a member of.

What is the best solution to disable the account/mailbox.
Should I just hide it from the GAL and remove the user
from all DLs he's member of ?

Thanks

Daniel

Disabling a mailbox

Post by Tom Meunie » Thu, 02 May 2002 11:58:35

Disable the user, change his smtp address.  Don't want his contacts to get
NDRs?  Create a distribution group with no members, and give it that user's
SMTP address.  All emails sent to him will vanish.   For internal
distribution lists, just go to properties / member of: and jot down which
lists he's a member of.  Remove him from those lists until he's back.  That
cover everything?

--

-tom

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a user who will be gone for 3 months.  I want to
> disable the user's account as well as the Exchange 2000
> mailbox.

> If I just disable the account the mailbox is still valid
> and user can still receive messages.

> If I hide the user from the GAL, the DL membership still
> exist and the user can still receive mail sent to lists
> for  which he's a member of.

> What is the best solution to disable the account/mailbox.
> Should I just hide it from the GAL and remove the user
> from all DLs he's member of ?

> Thanks

> Daniel

1. mailbox is closed messages after disabling/hiding mailbox

In Exchange 5.5, I found that following Microsoft's instructions on
disabling a mailbox by setting the Prohibit Send/Receive storage limit to 0
KB and hiding it from the GAL still causes the mailbox to grow because the
system administrator sends automatic messages "your mailbox is closed...."
to the mailbox.  How can that be stopped?  I won't have a chance to try this
for a few days, but someone suggested just unchecking all the check marks
under Storage Limits in Exchange Administrator and not putting any limits
since they're all unchecked.  Has anybody had experience with this?
Big TIA.

2. MSN IM

3. How to Disable User mailbox help!!!

4. Internet format conversion failed?

5. Disable a mailbox

6. ETRN Recipe

7. How to Disable a mailbox for read only

8. Creating NT a/cs from Exchange

9. How can I disable a mailbox

10. Disable opening mailbox

11. Disabling a mailbox