Remote 9x users VPN to Win2k Domain/Exchange 2000

Remote 9x users VPN to Win2k Domain/Exchange 2000

Post by Natha » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 01:38:00

We've got remote users at my company that would like access to our Exchange
server via a VPN and then bringing up their exchange profile and connecting
directly with the server over that link.

We did this without any issues on our NT network with our Exchange 5.5
server.  Since then we've upgraded to a native Win2K domain with Exchange
2000 as the email server.  Now my Win9x clients cannot resolve their
profiles when they VPN into the company.

I have Win ME at home.  I can dial in using the VPN just fine and actually
get a terminal service session via IE and the TSAC...I can also resolve user
accounts on the exchange server but I actually can't open the information
store which is odd.  However my Win9x clients can't even get that far
anymore.  They VPN, they can ping names of machines, etc...but they cannot
resolve their exchange profile and read their email.  I've even installed
the DSCLIENT active directory client for Win9x clients but this didn't seem
to help.  I've tried this with and without loading a LMHOST file into the 9x
clients cache...but no avail.

These are my settings:
Exchange 2000 server SP1
Win2k Servers SP2
ISA Server as the firewall with DHCP relay to a DHCP server that assigns an
IP and DNS info.

My remote clients are Win98 SE with the latest DUN package.  I have WinME
and can get farther into the resolution process than they can.

DUN settings for the VPN session are simply set to have the server assign
the IP and DNS info...and the rest of the basic check boxes, TCP only,
gateway selected, headers selected, encryption selected, etc.  The settings
on my ME client are exactly the same on the 9x clients but the 9x clients
can't get as far into the name resolution process as I can on ME.  They also
cannot establish a Terminal services session like I can by using IE and
typing in the FQDN of the server (same versions of IE on both machines).

Any help on Win9x clients remotely dialing into native WIn2k domains is
greatly appreciated!  They can simply use OWA for the meantime but many of
them don't like OWA and want to VPN and open Outlook to connect to exchange
because the GUI is much better.

1. Create Mailboxes for NT4 Users on Exchange 2000 Server in New Win2k Domain

I have an existing NT4 domain and have added a new Windows 2000 server
running Exchange 2000.  I have established a two-way trust
relationship between the Win2k Domain and the NT4 domain.

How do I create mailboxes for the users in the NT4 domain on the
Exchange 2000 server or is there another procedure for doing this.  I
didn't think you had to recreate all the users in the new Win2k
domain.

Thanks in advance...

2. Delivery

3. link exchange 5.5 NT4 domain to exchange 2000 win2K domain

4. Personal addressbook misses 'public contacts'

5. intermitten connection with remote VPN - Outlook to Exchange 2000

6. Attachments get cut down to 8.3 file name convention when opening them.

7. Remote DSL-VPN users getting Exchange timeouts

8. MTA , RPC Binding Error.

9. Remote users cannot connect to Exchange Server through vpn

10. IM and Remote users over VPN

11. IM and remote users over VPN

12. Remote users / VPN / Synced folders - Help !?

13. IM and Remote Users using VPN