Disaster Recovery

Post by Rowle » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 20:51:29

Hi

Has anyone here actually had experience with Exhange2k DR methods? I'm
familiar with Exch5.5 but with the introduction of AD, MS *seem* to have
further complicated an already tricky task. Now; what I want to do may be
simple, so please read on.

Cut to the chase.

I''ve got standby equipment at a disaster recovery site that is a mirror
image of the production servers. I would like overwrite Exchange information
(and I assume AD or system state information) on these standby machines
using the weekly backup tapes. I am using Arcserve2000 and doing site-level
backups.

With Exchange 5.5, the directory information was contained within the
information store, so you could pretty much overwrite it with a backup - not
recommeded, but it works.

The Exchange box I have is also a DC - the only DC - for the domain (Not my
doing! this will soon be rectified...). I would then assume that I would
need to restore not only the Exchange Information store group, but also the
system state information.

A penny/cent for your thoughts.

Cheers

Disaster Recovery

Post by Nino Bilic [MS » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:36:42

If your only server that was also a DC went down - yes, you would have to
restore both the System State backup and the Exchange 2000 databases.
Usually it will go like this:

1. Restore system state - this will restore your Active Directory
2. Run a /disasterrecovery setup on Exchange server
3. Bring up Exchange to the same service pack that backed up databases have
4. Restore databases

I would definitely recommend looking into the following whitepaper. Yeah, it
is big. But it is bi because it covers a LOT of different scenarios and it
goes over basics very well.

http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/deployment/2000/E2Krecover...

--
Nino Bilic
Exchange Support

Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.

> Hi

> Has anyone here actually had experience with Exhange2k DR methods? I'm
> familiar with Exch5.5 but with the introduction of AD, MS *seem* to have
> further complicated an already tricky task. Now; what I want to do may be
> simple, so please read on.

> Cut to the chase.

> I''ve got standby equipment at a disaster recovery site that is a mirror
> image of the production servers. I would like overwrite Exchange
information
> (and I assume AD or system state information) on these standby machines
> using the weekly backup tapes. I am using Arcserve2000 and doing
site-level
> backups.

> With Exchange 5.5, the directory information was contained within the
> information store, so you could pretty much overwrite it with a backup -
not
> recommeded, but it works.

> The Exchange box I have is also a DC - the only DC - for the domain (Not
my
> doing! this will soon be rectified...). I would then assume that I would
> need to restore not only the Exchange Information store group, but also
the
> system state information.

> A penny/cent for your thoughts.

> Cheers

Disaster Recovery

Post by Rowle » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:27:25

Yeah thanks, already had that cluttering up my desk. I eventaully managed to
get a procedure down using Arcserve, and with some help from that
whitepaper. The procedure stripped down to it's essentails was basically as
you stated in the your post.

Now all i've got to do is type up our own DS procedure. Can't wait...   :)

Thanks.

> If your only server that was also a DC went down - yes, you would have to
> restore both the System State backup and the Exchange 2000 databases.
> Usually it will go like this:

> 1. Restore system state - this will restore your Active Directory
> 2. Run a /disasterrecovery setup on Exchange server
> 3. Bring up Exchange to the same service pack that backed up databases
have
> 4. Restore databases

> I would definitely recommend looking into the following whitepaper. Yeah,
it
> is big. But it is bi because it covers a LOT of different scenarios and it
> goes over basics very well.

> http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/deployment/2000/E2Krecover...

> --
> Nino Bilic
> Exchange Support

rights.

> Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
> purposes only.

> > Hi

> > Has anyone here actually had experience with Exhange2k DR methods? I'm
> > familiar with Exch5.5 but with the introduction of AD, MS *seem* to have
> > further complicated an already tricky task. Now; what I want to do may
be
> > simple, so please read on.

> > Cut to the chase.

> > I''ve got standby equipment at a disaster recovery site that is a mirror
> > image of the production servers. I would like overwrite Exchange
> information
> > (and I assume AD or system state information) on these standby machines
> > using the weekly backup tapes. I am using Arcserve2000 and doing
> site-level
> > backups.

> > With Exchange 5.5, the directory information was contained within the
> > information store, so you could pretty much overwrite it with a backup -
> not
> > recommeded, but it works.

> > The Exchange box I have is also a DC - the only DC - for the domain (Not
> my
> > doing! this will soon be rectified...). I would then assume that I would
> > need to restore not only the Exchange Information store group, but also
> the
> > system state information.

> > A penny/cent for your thoughts.

> > Cheers

1. Exchange Disaster Recovery becoming a Disaster

Good Afternoon

We are trying to restore Exchange 2K onto a different server.

We are following the restore procedure from the MS Exchange website and have
done a basic installation of Windows 2K and have restored the Active
Directory. However have the following problem.

When we attempt to re-install Exchange using the /DisaterRecovery switch the
installation immediately fails with the following error in the Event Viewer:

The description for Event ID (1005) in source (BOExchangeSetup) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: The system cannot find the specified.
Facility:Win32 ID no: c0070002 Microsoft Exchange Setup.

We have restored the AD for a second time with the same result.

Is there away around this problem or maybe a better route to restoring
Exchange??

Thanks

Mike

2. Archiving all incoming and outgoing mail

3. Changing mailbox and function in VB modified form.

4. Disaster Recovery - I need to create damage in InfoStore to test recovery procedures

5. email never reaches mailboxes in exchange

6. Disaster Recovery options

7. Which ports are being used?

8. "disaster recovery" question

9. Exchange Replication for Disaster Recovery

10. Advanced Disaster Recovery

11. Disaster recovery tools...

12. Disaster Recovery, Failover, Cluster