Outlook Web Access runs slow

Post by Bret » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 13:05:56

We are running OWA on SBS 2000.  I actually have two networks running
this same setup.  No SSL.  OWA zips right along inside the network but
from outside, even over dsl or cable, it is agonizingly slow. The
logon screen comes up quickly, and the individual items in folders
such as contacts and emails open at a decent pace, but the initial
molasses.  Do I need to forward more than port 80 on my firewall, am I
missing a setting or is this just the way it is?  If so, anybody know
why?

Outlook Web Access runs slow

Post by Wizar » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 21:16:46

Port 80 should be OK if you're not using SSL. But how slow is it exactly?
Are we talking minutes, hours or what? OWA in E2K is noticeable more
slow that e.g E 5.5....

Wizard

Quote:> We are running OWA on SBS 2000.  I actually have two networks running
> this same setup.  No SSL.  OWA zips right along inside the network but
> from outside, even over dsl or cable, it is agonizingly slow. The
> logon screen comes up quickly, and the individual items in folders
> such as contacts and emails open at a decent pace, but the initial
> molasses.  Do I need to forward more than port 80 on my firewall, am I
> missing a setting or is this just the way it is?  If so, anybody know
> why?

Outlook Web Access runs slow

Post by Bret » Mon, 02 Dec 2002 11:54:22

Minutes... I have a firewall on my computer that shows traffic, etc. It sits
idle for a long time and then once it shows traffic it's very minimal. 7k,
12k ...   It doesn't seem like it's an issue with bandwidth.  Could it be
DNS/WINS -- Authentication method??  I know that my LAN speed is 100MBps but
should it take 10 or more times longer for a tiny transfer over the
Internet?  Should it take 60 seconds to switch from Inbox to Sent Items?  Is
that normal for OWA?

Thnak you Wizard

Quote:> We are running OWA on SBS 2000.  I actually have two networks running
> this same setup.  No SSL.  OWA zips right along inside the network but
> from outside, even over dsl or cable, it is agonizingly slow. The
> logon screen comes up quickly, and the individual items in folders
> such as contacts and emails open at a decent pace, but the initial
> molasses.  Do I need to forward more than port 80 on my firewall, am I
> missing a setting or is this just the way it is?  If so, anybody know
> why?

Outlook Web Access runs slow

Post by Wizar » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 16:16:31

I'm sorry for my late reply, I've been out of the office for some days.

No, it should not take 60 seconds to switch from one folder to another,
that sound slike forever...
I use my E2K server with a "out of the box" configuration, so I don't
have any ideas why your OWA is that slow :-\

Wiz

Quote:> Minutes... I have a firewall on my computer that shows traffic, etc. It

Post by Phil Gilber » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 09:32:04

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>We are running OWA on SBS 2000.  I actually have two
networks running
>this same setup.  No SSL.  OWA zips right along inside
the network but
>from outside, even over dsl or cable, it is agonizingly
slow. The
>logon screen comes up quickly, and the individual items
in folders
>such as contacts and emails open at a decent pace, but
the initial
is like
>molasses.  Do I need to forward more than port 80 on my
firewall, am I
>missing a setting or is this just the way it is?  If so,
anybody know
>why?

If these are Windows XP CPUs that are trying to access
OWA, try to specify the domain when logging in, i.e.,
when inputting the User Name use the following syntax,

domain\username

When accessing using XP Home, the above will solve the
domain stipulation.  Worked for us with our XP home
clients.  Hope it helps.

1. Slow access to Outlook Web Access 5.01

We installed 2 Exchange servers in different test domains.
They are 100% identical in hardware and software (NT4SP3 and Exch5SP1)

The only difference is that one is running Outlook Web Access 5.01, i.e.
the Exchange SP1 was applied after Web Access. The other server has Outlook
Web Access 5.00, because Web Access it was installed after applying
Exchange SP1

Using IE3.02 we find that Web Access 5.01 responds very slow, e.g. the
logon screen takes about 45 seconds to build up. The browser is actually
waiting for the server to respond and return the different images like
back.jpg and part1.gif , part2.gif
The same applies to other 5.01 pages like the user mailbox etc.

The weird thing is that Web Access 5.00 responds very fast. Although 5.00
uses a slightly different graphical layout for icons it is functionally
identical to 5.01

Does anybody know how to speed up Web Access 5.01 ???

Thanks in advance,

Klaas-Pieter Vlieg
EURESCOM

2. test

3. Outlook Web Access slow

4. 5.0 setup bluies. HELP!

5. Outlook Web Access - Very Slow performance

6. Need a guru

7. Outlook Web Access Slow Login

8. OWA problems

9. Exchange web access tool other than Outlook Web access

10. Outlook running slow

11. outlook clients running REAL slow - help please

12. Why is Outlook suddenly running slow?

13. help please - 50% of Outlook clients running extremely slow