Newsfeed requiring Logon

Post by James Van Hor » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Good Day.

I have setup a news server and have some newsgroups associated with it.  I
have 2 problems.  The first is that when you connect to the newsserver to
get the newsgroups it wants you to login.  I want to remove this so that
they can get to it without having to login to the network.  The second
problem is that I have newsgroup Hierachies setup and when you get the list
of newsgroups you get the hierachy name as well, ex

Business
Business.dave
Business.sam
Business.steve.

In the above example, I want to remove the business (item 1) from showing in
the newsgroup list.  Please help.

Thanks.

James

Newsfeed requiring Logon

Post by Jonathan Reise » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Assuming you're using Exchange Server 5.5 and you're trying to configure
Public Folders. Problem 1 is probably happening because you don't have
your Newsfeed properties properly configured in Exchange Administrator.
The Connection tab allows you to put in the account and password that
the server needs to use so your clients won't have to.

As for problem 2, according to my documentation you can telnet to the
news server (telnet news.provider.com, and enable logging) and download
the active file. You can then manually edit the active file to exclude
any lines you wish. The contents of the new active file are the
newsgroups that your clients will see. My documentation doesn't
explicitly tell me where to designate which active file to use, but I
assume it's in the Newsfeed properties page.

1. Newsfeed requiring Logon

Good Day.

I have setup a news server and have some newsgroups associated with it.  I
have 2 problems.  The first is that when you connect to the newsserver to
get the newsgroups it wants you to login.  I want to remove this so that
they can get to it without having to login to the network.  The second
problem is that I have newsgroup Hierachies setup and when you get the list
of newsgroups you get the hierachy name as well, ex

Business
Business.dave
Business.sam
Business.steve.

In the above example, I want to remove the business (item 1) from showing in
the newsgroup list.  Please help.

Thanks.

James

2. Exchange and SBS

3. Move Exchange server another admin group

4. Email Encryption and Virus Scanning

5. OWA-logon required before logon screen appears

6. DRASC problem.

7. OWA logon - no domain required

8. Logon required for NNTP

9. OWA requires user to logon each time they open a message

10. OWA requires second logon

11. Clients require username and password to logon to outlook