No services start or are even listed for exchange 2000

No services start or are even listed for exchange 2000

Post by Dave Fogtma » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 12:40:19

I am trying to install exchange 2000 on a server that was
promoted to an Active Directory DC. Active directory was
replicated from another DC which was then removed from the
network entirely. I am not sure of all the steps taken to
ensure that AD was completely moved to the new server, But
I did have to seize schema master on the DC to run forest
prep and domain prep. So there may have been some missed
steps.

Now the issue,
Forest Prep and Domain Prep finish with no errors. The
Install for Exchange finishes with no errors. after
rebooting the server none of the Exchange services start
or show up in services, Nor are there any messages in the
event log about services that failed to start.

Now my questions.

Where do I look for information on why the system
attendant is not starting?

Is it likely that a step missed in the upgrade,
replication, and removal, that is causing this issue?

Does anyone know of a step by step on replicating AD from
one DC to another and then removing the first DC from the
network entirely?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. if I am posting to
the wrong group please let me know and I will refrain from
posting anything else on this issue here.

Thanks for your time
Dave Fogtman

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:18:53

>I am trying to install exchange 2000 on a server that was
>promoted to an Active Directory DC. Active directory was
>replicated from another DC which was then removed from the
>network entirely. I am not sure of all the steps taken to
>ensure that AD was completely moved to the new server, But
>I did have to seize schema master on the DC to run forest
>prep and domain prep. So there may have been some missed
>steps.

>Now the issue,
>Forest Prep and Domain Prep finish with no errors. The
>Install for Exchange finishes with no errors. after
>rebooting the server none of the Exchange services start
>or show up in services, Nor are there any messages in the
>event log about services that failed to start.

>Now my questions.

>Where do I look for information on why the system
>attendant is not starting?

If the SA doesn't appear in the list of services I don't think you
have far to look. If the services weren't installed they aren't going
to start.

Start by looking at the installation log file (one's created, or
appended to, whenever you install Exchange).

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP