install LDAP service in exchange 2000?

Post by lione » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 02:36:37

Hi.

My exchange 2000 is running as mail server only, and the active directory
info is running on a Domain
controller.

Do I need to install LDAP service in exchange server(or I can query the DC's
LDAP to get uid and mail?)
How can I  change the port number of LDAP?

Thanks.

install LDAP service in exchange 2000?

Post by Wesley Peace [MVP » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 09:29:59

Exchange 2000 does not have it's own Directory Services it uses the
Directory Services of the Windows 2000 domain and more specifically of the
Active Directory. You can NOT install and use Exchange without the Active
Directory in place.

Also understand that AD operates (is) an LDAP server.

Now why would you want to change the LDAP Port? Of course you would break AD
by doing so, but why?

Wesley Peace
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Read the Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
Exchange Resource Center at http://www.slipstick.com

We are what we repeatedly do. Aristotle

Quote:> Hi.

> My exchange 2000 is running as mail server only, and the active directory
> info is running on a Domain
> controller.

> Do I need to install LDAP service in exchange server(or I can query the
DC's
> LDAP to get uid and mail?)
> How can I  change the port number of LDAP?

> Thanks.

1. LDAP Port conflict with Exchange 2000 initial install and W2k

How do I change the LDAP port that Exchange 2000 listens
on?

Exchange System Administrator does not work with Exchange
2000.  Exchange System Manager does, and it does not have
ANY LDAP options available to configure.

I have a Windows 2000 AD clustered setup and have
installed Exchange 2000 Enterprise on the two clustered
domain controllers.  The Exchange LDAP port is conflicting
with the Windows AD LDAP port.  I currently get a c103aa1a
error when I try to setup the "From Windows" tab in the
Active Directory Connectors setup.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the
port that LDAP for Exchange 2000 listens on.  Sure there
is plenty of information about migrators, but I am a clean
first installer - no upgrades.  Just clean 2000 and 2000.

2. Solution to Slow Outlook with Exchange Server 5.5 SP1

3. Exchange 2000 not installing because LDAP port 389

4. Exchange 5.5 Sp-2 and IIs 4.0 for OWA

5. Install of Office 2000 Service Pack 3 disables Exchange 2000 authentication

6. Log files won't commit

7. Internet Mail Service not auto starting

8. LDAP Directory Services and Exchange 2000

9. install LDAP service.