How do SQL Server 2000 and Exchange 2000 work with NAS or SANs

How do SQL Server 2000 and Exchange 2000 work with NAS or SANs

Post by Henry Stoc » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 05:31:49

I came from an environment where I really knew Exchange 5.5 and new enough
about SQL Server 7 to be dangerous.  The thing I think I remember about
these apps is that you could not run the database or the information store
on a network drive.  Now I am reading stuff in a new magazine "Storage" that
seems to imply that the new versions work well with some NAS applicances. Is
this true?  Could I establish my information store for Exchange 2000 on an
NAS box?  What about SQL Server 2000?  We have Quantum snap servers and one
Network Appliance F700 series device.  I'd like to know if I have been
missing out on storage options.

--
Henry Stock, Network Administrator
onProject.com

How do SQL Server 2000 and Exchange 2000 work with NAS or SANs

Post by Mark Fugat » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 09:31:07

Henry

I have a client with Exchange 2000 running on a Quantum SnapServer, no
problem at all, sorry I am not sure about SQL but cannot see why this would
be an issue.

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc

Quote:> I came from an environment where I really knew Exchange 5.5 and new enough
> about SQL Server 7 to be dangerous.  The thing I think I remember about
> these apps is that you could not run the database or the information store
> on a network drive.  Now I am reading stuff in a new magazine "Storage"
that
> seems to imply that the new versions work well with some NAS applicances.
Is
> this true?  Could I establish my information store for Exchange 2000 on an
> NAS box?  What about SQL Server 2000?  We have Quantum snap servers and
one
> Network Appliance F700 series device.  I'd like to know if I have been
> missing out on storage options.

> --
> Henry Stock, Network Administrator
> onProject.com
> 3 Wing Drive
> Cedar Knolls, NJ 07927-1006

How do SQL Server 2000 and Exchange 2000 work with NAS or SANs

Post by Dan Guzma » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:11:04

You need to be careful regarding NAS devices to ensure the configuration
is supported.  For more information, see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q304261

Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

-----------------------
SQL FAQ links (courtesy  Neil Pike):

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq
-----------------------

Post by Matt Sei » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 04:29:08

>Could I establish my information store for Exchange 2000 on an
> NAS box?

You might be interested in Snap Server EmailXtender? Archive (EX/A)
Software.  For details, see:
http://www.quantum.com/Service+and+Support/NAS+Servers/Software/EMAIL...

1. Exchange Server 2000 and SQL Server 2000

Hello,

I need to develop an advanced customer database system.  We have just
upgraded to Exchange 2000 and SQL Server 2000.

 My question is that it doesn't make sense to use Exchange 2000 server for
our contacts and SQL Server for the other "specialized" contact information.
We would have to input the same information twice into two systems.

I would really like to use Exchange Server 2000 as it is a nice
collaboration/messaging tool.  However, I need more advanced database
options to store additional information such as financial, account, orders,
etc, run queries, generate reports, use ASP Web-based forms, etc.

Can somebody give me a general direction to the solution or technologies
that I should be looking at to combine these two applications, or is there
another method using one of these applications to meet my development goals.

thanks a bunch!

2. Rejecting domains?

3. backup size

4. Canot forward mail from external sources to mailbox-enabled users with mail forwarding

5. Accessing Public Folder (Calendar exchange svr 2000) from SQL Server 2000 Using CDO

6. using outlook9x/2000 clients can't reslove mailbox in profile connect to exchange2000 svr ?? help

7. Exchange 2000 and SQL Server 2000

8. Exchange Server 2000 doesn't work on Windows 2000 Advanced Server DC

9. Exchange 2000 on a NAS device

10. Exchange 2000 within a NAS Environment