How to append a Disclaimer to the end of every outgoing message from Exchange 2000

How to append a Disclaimer to the end of every outgoing message from Exchange 2000

Post by hira » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:59:47

Hello All,

I would be very obliged if someone will tell me how to append a
disclaimer text message at the end of outgoing messages. I use Outlook
as the mail client.

I found a DLL at this location:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317327
titled: HOW TO: Add a Disclaimer to Outgoing SMTP Messages in Visual
Basic

but it says that it wont work if the outgoing message is sent using
Outlook!

I understand that this facility was available in Exchange 5.5, but has
been removed in Exchange 2000. I would be grateful if somebody
explains why it was removed!!!! (only someone from Microsoft can
answer this...) I hope i'm not being rude asking this, but it is a
sincere question.

How to append a Disclaimer to the end of every outgoing message from Exchange 2000

Post by Alfons Bierbau » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:34:34

http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/62696.html

Quote:> Hello All,

Post by stephen anni » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:29:11

> > I would be very obliged if someone will tell me how to append a
> > disclaimer text message at the end of outgoing messages. I use Outlook
> > as the mail client.

We use Exclaimer successfully.

http://www.exclaimer.co.uk

Cheers
Steve

How to append a Disclaimer to the end of every outgoing message from Exchange 2000

Post by Telif » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 21:44:56

First off: The reason why Ms did not implement this functionality, is
because it belongs to the chapter "groupware applications". Exch2K is not
just a mail server; it's a development (groupware) platform based upon a
message-oriented (versus record-oriented) database structure. E-mail
functionality is just a small portion of Exch2K's possibilities. Developing
a disclaimer msg is the exact same procedure as developing content filtering
or work-flow routes.

Now an answer to your question:
The key is to use a second SMTP service. You must do so, because you want a
disclaimer for outgoing (thus: SMTP) messages. You should thus set up a
front-end server (win2k + smtp service).

Since Outlook msg's are MAPI, your script (in this case: your dll) which
checks for SMTP msg's, simply doesn't pick up any (MAPI) msg's at all. Using
a 2nd SMTP service, ensures the msg's are in SMTP format.

Somewhat more difficult, but you can register your own script on the (2nd)
SMTP service. However, you must know CDO NTS v1.2 if you wish to do so. With
your own script, you could also do other things, such as content filtering,
copying all mail to a back-up folder, etcetera. Do note, that with script
and lots of mail, you may endure a performance penalty. But since we're
talking about a front-end server, this should not be an issue. For
enterprise environments, you should create a dll - which means you should be
a (C++) programmer...

Sincerely,
Stanley

Quote:> Hello All,

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:22:36

> First off: The reason why Ms did not implement this functionality, is
> because it belongs to the chapter "groupware applications". Exch2K is not
> just a mail server; it's a development (groupware) platform based upon a
> message-oriented (versus record-oriented) database structure. E-mail
> functionality is just a small portion of Exch2K's possibilities.

Actually, it is just he oposite ;-) Exchange is a messaging server with some
kind of collaboration platform features. But compared to Lotus Notes/Domino
it is nowhere a groupware platform (and will never be, just check Sharepoint
Technologies and you get the point).

Quote:> However, you must know CDO NTS v1.2 if you wish to do so.

Not at all. Actually, you are engouraged to not use CDONTS any longer
because it has been deprecated in Windows 2000 and is no longer part of
Windows XP/2003 & Exchange 2003.

Quote:> With
> your own script, you could also do other things, such as content
filtering,
> copying all mail to a back-up folder, etcetera.

Right. Here are some samples:

http://www.cdolive.net/download/SMTPTransportEvent-ArchiveSMTP.zip
http://www.cdolive.net/download/SMTPTransportEvent-AttachmentFilter.zip
http://www.cdolive.net/download/SMTPTransportEvent-RBLBlocking.zip
http://www.cdolive.net/download/SMTPTransportEvent-SenderFilter.zip
http://www.cdolive.net/download/SMTPTransportEvent-SubjectFilter.zip

Quote:> Do note, that with script
> and lots of mail, you may endure a performance penalty. But since we're
> talking about a front-end server, this should not be an issue. For
> enterprise environments, you should create a dll - which means you should
be
> a (C++) programmer...

Or just use the managed code wrappers Microsoft released in March 2003 to
use either C# or VB.NET and avoid all the hassle of going through C++.

--
<Cheers:Siegfried runat="server" />

Development Lead,

CDOLive LLC - The Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Application Experts
http://www.cdolive.com

This information is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
You assume all risk for your use. ? 2003 CDOLive LLC. All rights reserved.
Sample code subject to http://www.cdolive.com/disclaim.htm

How to append a Disclaimer to the end of every outgoing message from Exchange 2000

Thanks everybody.