Problem w/Second SMTPVS for Secure relaying from remote clients

Problem w/Second SMTPVS for Secure relaying from remote clients

Post by Paul MacFarlan » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:20:58

I have users in the field using laptops and OE w/IMAP connections to our
exchange server...  That works fine.

We were recently hit hard by spammers relaying so we've locked down our
system.
I've added a second SMTPVS to handle these remote users.  It requires Basic
authentication and uses an alternate port number for getting in to the
server.

I created an SMTP connector that allows relaying but only via the VS that
requires authentication.

It appears to connect and authenticate fine, but we are getting the
following messages.

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's

Subject 'testing', Account: 'arsc - Paul', Server: 'amerisoftcorp.com',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '454 5.7.3 Client does not have permission
to Send As this sender.', Port: xxxx, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 454,
Error Number: 0x800CCC78

I've seen the article about policies and DNS issues (although I'm not
totally clear in the DNS issues) but the article isn't exactly what I'm
getting here...

Any ideas?  Where are Send As permissions set?  AD?  What can't I send as
myself?<g>

The e-mail will send fine from with our office....

Any suggestions appreciated.

--
Paul MacFarlane

Problem w/Second SMTPVS for Secure relaying from remote clients

Post by Magnus G?ransso » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 22:11:38

Du you use Cisco Pix Firewall?

> I have users in the field using laptops and OE w/IMAP connections to our
> exchange server...  That works fine.

> We were recently hit hard by spammers relaying so we've locked down our
> system.
> I've added a second SMTPVS to handle these remote users.  It requires
Basic
> authentication and uses an alternate port number for getting in to the
> server.

> I created an SMTP connector that allows relaying but only via the VS that
> requires authentication.

> It appears to connect and authenticate fine, but we are getting the
> following messages.

> The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's

> Subject 'testing', Account: 'arsc - Paul', Server: 'amerisoftcorp.com',
> Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '454 5.7.3 Client does not have
permission
> to Send As this sender.', Port: xxxx, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 454,
> Error Number: 0x800CCC78

> I've seen the article about policies and DNS issues (although I'm not
> totally clear in the DNS issues) but the article isn't exactly what I'm
> getting here...

> Any ideas?  Where are Send As permissions set?  AD?  What can't I send as
> myself?<g>

> The e-mail will send fine from with our office....

> Any suggestions appreciated.

> --
> Paul MacFarlane

1. Problem w/Second SMTPVS for Secure relaying from remote clients

I have users in the field using laptops and OE w/IMAP connections to our
exchange server...  That works fine.

We were recently hit hard by spammers relaying so we've locked down our
system.
I've added a second SMTPVS to handle these remote users.  It requires Basic
authentication and uses an alternate port number for getting in to the
server.

I created an SMTP connector that allows relaying but only via the VS that
requires authentication.

It appears to connect and authenticate fine, but we are getting the
following messages.

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's

Subject 'testing', Account: 'arsc - Paul', Server: 'amerisoftcorp.com',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '454 5.7.3 Client does not have permission
to Send As this sender.', Port: xxxx, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 454,
Error Number: 0x800CCC78

I've seen the article about policies and DNS issues (although I'm not
totally clear in the DNS issues) but the article isn't exactly what I'm
getting here...

Any ideas?  Where are Send As permissions set?  AD?  What can't I send as
myself?<g>

The e-mail will send fine from with our office....

Any suggestions appreciated.

--
Paul MacFarlane

2. Exchange 5.0, Outlook, Palm Pilot and Chapura

3. Exchange Server unavailable - click RETRY

4. Relay Problem! - Exchange 5.5 w/Remote Clients

5. using client to access two mail boxes

6. help securing port 25 relay but supporting POP clients

7. Echange 5.5 (IE) and Chinese Simplified Support

8. Upgrade to XP Home and Secure Remote Problem

9. Secure Relay Problem on Exchange 2000

10. Problems using a second profile on the same client

11. Public folder (secure file folder) database on remote server

12. Securing access to remote mail