Pub Folder perms problem, one client PC only (Olk2002)

Pub Folder perms problem, one client PC only (Olk2002)

Post by Jann » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:46:09

Hi - bit of a weird one. In short, Olk2002 on one PC kept crashing when I
was in the middle of setting ES2000 Public Folder permissions, and now one
of the Outlook client PCs involved does not allow me to change perms (whilst
the rest do).

What I find odd about this is that in theory perms are independent of the
Outlook client used i.e. whichever client PC I am authenticated at, Outlook
should show the same permissions. I guess it must be related to the crash,
but still don't understand how the client is getting 'confused'.

Here goes (a long story):

A couple of days ago I logged on with my Win2k a/c (member of Domain Admins)
and did what I often do, i.e. adjust the permissions for public folders. In
this case, I wanted to add 4 users to the list of those users allowed to be
Reviewers of a number of public folders.

I had 2 PCs open, one logged on as myself (client PC 'A'), and one as one of
the 4 users (client PC 'B'), so that I could check the new perms. Both run
Outlook 2002 though (due to time constraints - ouch! - client B is Outlook
2002 fully patched and SP'd, and with Office 2002. Client A is mostly Office
2000, bar Outlook, and with no 2002 patches applied. (Hangs head in shame).

Client A Outlook repeatedly crashed as I was applying perms to the public
folders. Untypically (believe me!) I carried on setting the perms on this
machine as I was under time pressures. My advice: Don't....

What then happened seems very odd

I logged on at Client B as Myself and went to check the perms for the
various public folders (of which I am always the Owner).

What I discovered was that I could no longer edit the permissions for the
other users, nor remove users - despite being the Owner.; the options were
grayed out. The only option is to Add users.

When I went to create a new public folder (assuming only old ones would be
affected) the same problem occurred - i.e. I could create a new public
folder, but not revise the permissions.

To be more accurate, the only permissions I can change are the 'Default
User'

This was also the situation at client A.

It gets more confusing...

I went to a totally different machine, Client C (very similar to Client B)
and found that if I logged on there, then all was normal. I could see and
edit all permissions for the public folders concerned.

After a few minutes, logging on and off on client A (the crashing machine)
and I found that that had righted itself, i.e. Outlook could see and edit
the permissions correctly also.

But Client B remains a big problem. - No matter what happens, if I log on as
myself then I don't have the same 'rights' as on the other machines. I know
I could reinstall Outlook, but I'm worried in case I have corrupted the
public folders themselves somehow (even though they seem to be working
fine).

By the way, another weird thing on Client B - for any given Public Folder, I
am shown as 'Owner' (when you look at 'perm level' in list) but in perms
panels below it contradicts, saying Level 'None' and none ticked.

My amateur explanation: somehow the crash on Client A, and the fact that I
was logged on (as another user) on Client B has led to a situation whereby
when I log on at B, either 1) somehow Outlook is not authenticating my a/c
properly to Exchange Server, or 2) Outlook program itself is screwed on this
PC (though I ran Detect and Repair, and no change).

Any ideas? - I'm totally mystified. And promise never to work on a machine
which has Outlook repeatedly crashing. Honest.

Pub Folder perms problem, one client PC only (Olk2002)

Post by Roc » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:20:44

Try recreating your Outlook profile on the troubled machine...

Quote:

> [...]

> fine).

> By the way, another weird thing on Client B - for any given Public Folder,
> am shown as 'Owner' (when you look at 'perm level' in list) but in perms
> panels below it contradicts, saying Level 'None' and none ticked.

> My amateur explanation: somehow the crash on Client A, and the fact that I
> was logged on (as another user) on Client B has led to a situation whereby
> when I log on at B, either 1) somehow Outlook is not authenticating my a/c
> properly to Exchange Server, or 2) Outlook program itself is screwed on
this
> PC (though I ran Detect and Repair, and no change).

> Any ideas? - I'm totally mystified. And promise never to work on a machine
> which has Outlook repeatedly crashing. Honest.

Pub Folder perms problem, one client PC only (Olk2002)

Post by Jann » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:48:21

thanx, I'll try that

> [...]

Folder,
> > am shown as 'Owner' (when you look at 'perm level' in list) but in perms
> > panels below it contradicts, saying Level 'None' and none ticked.

> > My amateur explanation: somehow the crash on Client A, and the fact that
> > was logged on (as another user) on Client B has led to a situation
whereby
> > when I log on at B, either 1) somehow Outlook is not authenticating my
a/c
> > properly to Exchange Server, or 2) Outlook program itself is screwed on
> this
> > PC (though I ran Detect and Repair, and no change).

> > Any ideas? - I'm totally mystified. And promise never to work on a
machine
> > which has Outlook repeatedly crashing. Honest.

Pub Folder perms problem, one client PC only (Olk2002)

Post by Jann » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:22:08

Just to say that deleting the profile and redoing did solve the weird perms
issue.

Thanks!