Exchange Cannot See Domain or Active Directory After Install

Exchange Cannot See Domain or Active Directory After Install

Post by Stephen William » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 09:14:28

I had done a fresh install of Exchange 2000 on a Windows
2000 server. I logged into the domain for the install
using the administrator's password for the domain. The
install appears the go just fine, but under the Active
directory users and computers I do not see any of the
exchange defaults ie, Exchange tasks or no mail boxes are
created etc although the Active Directory users and
computer on the server where exchange was installed I do
see the Exchange Task when I look at the propertys of a
user. When I attempt to create a mail box from the remote
server where I installed exchange I get the message
**Domain either does not exist or cannot be contacted**. I
believe this maybe an incorrect or missing DNS setting on
the Active directory system.

Can someone help or point me in the right direction.

Exchange Cannot See Domain or Active Directory After Install

Post by Paul Mora » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 10:04:26

Did you run setup with the /Forestprep in the winroot domain and did you run
setup with Domainprep in the domain where Exchange is going to be installed

Paul

Quote:> I had done a fresh install of Exchange 2000 on a Windows
> 2000 server. I logged into the domain for the install
> using the administrator's password for the domain. The
> install appears the go just fine, but under the Active
> directory users and computers I do not see any of the
> exchange defaults ie, Exchange tasks or no mail boxes are
> created etc although the Active Directory users and
> computer on the server where exchange was installed I do
> see the Exchange Task when I look at the propertys of a
> user. When I attempt to create a mail box from the remote
> server where I installed exchange I get the message
> **Domain either does not exist or cannot be contacted**. I
> believe this maybe an incorrect or missing DNS setting on
> the Active directory system.

> Can someone help or point me in the right direction.

Exchange Cannot See Domain or Active Directory After Install

Post by Stephen William » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 10:09:04

I have been reading some of the messages here, and several
have refered to forestprep, and domainprep. I have been
unable to locate these 2 utilities. Where can I obtain
them, and can you give me a brief description of the
function of each.

Thanks for your help!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Did you run setup with the /Forestprep in the winroot

domain and did you run
Quote:>setup with Domainprep in the domain where Exchange is

going to be installed

>Paul

message

>> I had done a fresh install of Exchange 2000 on a Windows
>> 2000 server. I logged into the domain for the install
>> using the administrator's password for the domain. The
>> install appears the go just fine, but under the Active
>> directory users and computers I do not see any of the
>> exchange defaults ie, Exchange tasks or no mail boxes
are
>> created etc although the Active Directory users and
>> computer on the server where exchange was installed I do
>> see the Exchange Task when I look at the propertys of a
>> user. When I attempt to create a mail box from the
remote
>> server where I installed exchange I get the message
>> **Domain either does not exist or cannot be
contacted**. I
>> believe this maybe an incorrect or missing DNS setting
on
>> the Active directory system.

>> Can someone help or point me in the right direction.

>.

Exchange Cannot See Domain or Active Directory After Install

Post by Stephen William » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 11:13:48

Never mind I found them DUH!

I dont know if you can run them after you have installed
Exchange 2000, but I will try it. I do know that after
installing it 6 times in the last 6 days it takes an act
of congress to remove Exchange 2000 after installing
exchange service pack 2.

Post by Paul Mora » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 11:40:21

Close the autoplay when you put the Exchange 2000 CD in your server then go
to my computer right click on your cd-rom drive and click open drill in to
the CD i forget the path but find setup.exe right click on the setup icon
and click copy. Then go to start run and paste the exe in the to command
line. Then you can add the switch for the exe. it will look like this

d:\exchsrvr\i386\setup.exe /forestprep

same for domainprep

Paul

> I have been reading some of the messages here, and several
> have refered to forestprep, and domainprep. I have been
> unable to locate these 2 utilities. Where can I obtain
> them, and can you give me a brief description of the
> function of each.

> Thanks for your help!

Post by Paul Mora » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 11:40:57

Start over man

> Never mind I found them DUH!

> I dont know if you can run them after you have installed
> Exchange 2000, but I will try it. I do know that after
> installing it 6 times in the last 6 days it takes an act
> of congress to remove Exchange 2000 after installing
> exchange service pack 2.

Post by Amiri Jones [MVP » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 06:02:15

    If you want to administer an Exchange server from another computer other
than the server itself, you need to make sure that the ADMINPAK.MSI package
from the Win2K Server CD has been installed, and then run the Exchange
setup, select a Custom installation, and install the Exchange System Manager
(I think that's what it's called).  This will provide you with the Exchange
add-ons in the ADUC snap-in.

Quote:> I had done a fresh install of Exchange 2000 on a Windows
> 2000 server. I logged into the domain for the install
> using the administrator's password for the domain. The
> install appears the go just fine, but under the Active
> directory users and computers I do not see any of the
> exchange defaults ie, Exchange tasks or no mail boxes are
> created etc although the Active Directory users and
> computer on the server where exchange was installed I do
> see the Exchange Task when I look at the propertys of a
> user. When I attempt to create a mail box from the remote
> server where I installed exchange I get the message
> **Domain either does not exist or cannot be contacted**. I
> believe this maybe an incorrect or missing DNS setting on
> the Active directory system.

> Can someone help or point me in the right direction.

1. The fourth tab of exchange not seen in Active Directory users and computers snap in

I'm wondering why the fourth tab of exchange ( Advance Exchange settings)
from where you hide/unhide your mailbox - is not seen in my active directory
users and computers snap in. I right click the user and click properties, I
can see all other three exchange related tabs but not the fourth one - the
advance tab ??

Why is this ? How do I see this ?

My exchange and domain controller are in same box  ? Does it matter to show
and not to show this ?

2. TCP/IP slows Outlook to a CRAWL!!!

3. Not Seeing Windows 2000 Active Directory

4. Is there an Outlook98 Deployment Kit?

5. cannot access active directory/cannot connect to schema master server

6. Removing Orphaned Public Folder

7. Exchange Domain and Active Directory Domain email format

8. Global Address list

9. Install Active Directory and Exchange 2000 Server on a new server

10. Installing exchange at two location in Active directory setup

11. Active Directory with Exchange 2000 New Install

12. multiple domains cannot seen by internet

13. Exchange 5.5 and Active Directory Connector Failing to install